Traffic light controlled merges

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

explo

Re: Traffic light controlled merges

Post by explo »

GrahamP wrote:
Trebeck wrote:The problem with the 1st NIRS example, the Jordanstown / Shore Road junction, is that no-one ZIP merges.
For a while merge-in-turn seemed to be in vogue for roadworks around here, but I've never seen it work as intended. What happens if most drivers in the terminating lane try to change lane as soon as they see any hint of their lane ending, then the remaining eejits drive straight past the "Merge in turn HERE" signs and try to force their way in just before the cones. Despite always leaving space for someone to merge in turn at the appropriate point, I don't think I have ever succeeded in letting anyone in at such roadworks.
I've always had an issue with the 'Merge in turn' signage, that being that it doesn't show merging in turn, it shows the right lane merging into the left lane (which continues straight ahead).

See here
PeterA5145

Re: Traffic light controlled merges

Post by PeterA5145 »

There's a signal-controlled merge on Burdock Way in Halifax here.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein