Traffic Lights turned off at night?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Traffic Lights turned off at night?

Post by Chris Bertram »

I wonder if it's anything to do with Exeter Chiefs RFC, who will be starting their first campaign in the Aviva Premiership very soon. There isn't a lot of parking at the ground, due to restrictions imposed by the council when they moved there from the County Ground, and intended to "encourage" (i.e. force) most supporters to use public transport to get there. Perhaps common sense has prevailed and more on-site parking will now be allowed, with much bigger crowds expected.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
DavidBrown

Re: Traffic Lights turned off at night?

Post by DavidBrown »

I don't think it is - I know that there was an item on the councils website saying that parking restrictions would be updated with the expected bigger crowds, but nothing else. It looks like a project that's been planned for some time for something fairly substantial - my best guess being either a residential or commercial development.
WHBM

Re: Traffic Lightsturned off at night?

Post by WHBM »

pjkh wrote:They also do this in the US. A flashing amber means it's off and you have priority, and a flashing red turns it into a stop sign.
Not quite. Flashing amber still means any pedestrians at the side of the junction have priority over any traffic to cross. You get the same flashing amber as a freestanding signal at stand-alone pedestrian crossings not at junctions. There are not many of these in the US, but there are a few.