Unknown streetlights thread

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Unknown streetlights thread

Post by autosignguy »

This thread is a combined one for all unknown streetlight queries - I'll start it off with this one from Stirling...
Image 1

It's fairly distinctive, haven't seen that bracket anywhere else in the UK; do you think they'd remake it these days out of fiberglass or something similar?

Anyone know if this is a GEC or Thorn?

Thanks
worcsfan

Re: Unknown streetlights thread

Post by worcsfan »

The Celtic nations appear to be a home from home for rare lanterns and standards :D

I can't quote or cite serial/reference numbers; but I do remember that standard elsewhere!

They were used by the former Brierley Hill borough on the B4176 Himley Road in Gornalwood and on the A4101 Summer Hill near Kingswinford. The former were replaced with Stanton and Staveley concretes in c. 1980; the former by metals in c. 1975.

I do remember that these standards on both roads spalled very badly- a major design flaw leading to most being replaced relatively early in their estimated length of life?
M19

Re: Unknown streetlights thread

Post by M19 »

I've seen a lot of these around Bonnybridge - columns and lanterns but many have been replaced now. It feels like another part of my personal histoiry has been eroded alongside other negative changes that have taken place.
M19