Traffic lights with no stop line

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jcpren

Re: Traffic lights with no stop line

Post by jcpren »

scynthius726 wrote:This green arrow is permanently on. It was retrofitted after the signals were commissioned due to left-turners stopping unnecessarily at a non-existent stopline.
It also seems to be wired directly to the mains rather than the controller. It's remained lit the couple of times I've seen the rest of the lights out.
John
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

jcpren wrote:It also seems to be wired directly to the mains rather than the controller. It's remained lit the couple of times I've seen the rest of the lights out.
Rather than mains its probably wired in to the box sign supply from the controller, which remains active when the controller shuts down for a fault. It just means that they didnt have to do a new EPROM and provide it with phase hardware, which would be particularly expensive if it needed an additional lamp switch card, for instance.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

mnb20 wrote:Coming off the M27 westbound at J5, there's a lane to go straight onto A335 into Southampton, avoiding the signal controlled roundabout. It has lights and a stop line, but never shows anything other than green (there's nothing that could possibly conflict with it).

I assume they put the lights in because otherwise people might see the lights on the roundabout and stop un-necessarily, and they put a stop line because you're supposed to always have one where there are lights, but it does look odd having a line painted across a slip road.
When we first heard about these works on SABRE, someone (sotonsteve I believe) kicked up a mighty fuss about having traffic lights on a filter lane. Someone else said it might be for pedestrians, but I was surprised to see there isn't a crossing there.

I think if the lights were purely to stop drivers being confused there wouldn't be two primary signal heads, a secondary, a stop line and (I think) loops on the approach. When I first saw the filter lane I thought it might be so they could have three lanes going onto the A335 when traffic flows increase, but it can't be as the filter lane is only one lane wide. I reckon it's just so that if they ever need to temporary control the flow of traffic here all the equipment will already be set up.

There's a similar example at J9, but with no stopline.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

This one in Leeds has a right turn with stop line, and no straight on heads. Funky signal heads though none the less. Theres more pics of this site on my Facebook gallery that I could link to, but there's nothing different to GSV really :lol:

Burdock Way, Halifax doesn't have a stop line on it's green left arrow. This perm-lit arrow looks quite cool IMO :P

And how about this one :wink:
Leeds again, on the A61. It's actually a cycle in the filter signal which lights up a few seconds before the signals change. It does have a stop line, though!
Simon