Existing metric road signs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

kc1

Existing metric road signs

Post by kc1 »

Sorry if this topic has been posted elsewhere. I had a look about and couldn't find any threads (any recent ones anyway!).

I was wondering if people could share any existing metric road signs that they have spotted?

Here's one in at a ford; although it doesn't really count as a 'real' roadsign I suppose!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 24,,1,7.16

Anyone know of any better ones?
JohnnyMo

Re: Existing metric road signs

Post by JohnnyMo »

This was before it was patched :(
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

A817 Glen Fruin road above Garelochhead

(This, although classified, is I believe not actually a public road)

If there are any others around, I suspect these people will take a close interest :twisted:
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

PeterA5145 wrote:(This, although classified, is I believe not actually a public road)
I believe it was built as a private road for use by the MoD and its contractors when the submarine base was being expanded, and when that was finished it was originally going to be removed and restored to nature, but then the local authority took it over and upgraded it into a public road. I posted some quotes about this once.
geo449

Post by geo449 »

There is this one which is over a kilometremile from me.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

geo449 wrote:There is this one which is over a kilometremile from me.
Reported to WCC. :)
geo449

Post by geo449 »

I sure hope not as I quite like that sign. Then again I do like me some strange road signs. Probably just the road geek in me getting a little bit too excited!
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

geo449 wrote:I sure hope not as I quite like that sign. Then again I do like me some strange road signs. Probably just the road geek in me getting a little bit too excited!
But does the footway not continue for 150 miles? :P
geo449

Post by geo449 »

M5Lenzar wrote:
geo449 wrote:I sure hope not as I quite like that sign. Then again I do like me some strange road signs. Probably just the road geek in me getting a little bit too excited!
Would YOU want to walk to the welsh west coast?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

PeterA5145 wrote:If there are any others around, I suspect these people will take a close interest :twisted:
Oh, dear, they do seem like a nasty little bunch of small-minded bigots, not to put it too harshly.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

Yes, let's take Britain back to the 1950s. Oh wait, OS maps were metric even then (don't let the "One Inch" fool you). Never mind.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
kc1

Post by kc1 »

Chris Bertram wrote:
PeterA5145 wrote:If there are any others around, I suspect these people will take a close interest :twisted:
Oh, dear, they do seem like a nasty little bunch of small-minded bigots, not to put it too harshly.
Agreed!

Maybe we should post pictures of the signs rather than links to their locations in case 'they' get their hands on them! :laugh:
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Just looking at their gallery and came across:

"Sign amended from ‘6.5km’ to read ‘4 miles and ½ furlong’ along Southend Promenade – one of the 23 signs along the promenade amended by ARM."

Who exactly works in furlongs these days? 6.5km seems far, far clearer to me. Plus, those signs are presumably intended for people walking and cycling, and in my - admittedly relatively limited - experience, walkers and cyclists are far more likely to understand and plan routes using metric measurements.

Also, the next picture along in that gallery shows what I presume to be a private sign being amended from "70 metres" to "80 yards". That just seems like vandalism to me. There's another sign for a private business (a Harvester inn) on that page that they've vandalised, too.

Many of their other "patches" look extremely unprofessional and quite possibly likely to cause more trouble than the previous metric-only signs. And then there's one when they've removed what seems to be a perfectly good and informative metric sign that is next to an imperial sign, supposedly because it's illegal and confusing to have "2.51m" on a sign instead of "2.5m". :roll:

It's one thing debating issues and objecting in a reasonable, rational manner, but going around vandalising private signs and - in my opinion - making situations more confusing is not the way to do it. I definitely have very little sympathy for their cause.
geo449

Post by geo449 »

I would doubt they look too favouribly on these signs either. How dare them dirty foreigners drive on OUR roads using THEIR metric system! :twisted:
timbucks

Post by timbucks »

Is it really the case that private signs and signs that councils put up for pedestrians are illegal if they're shown in metric, or are they just a bunch of bankers that think they're big and clever by putting yards on signs?

And since when has 70m = 80yds?
A fine is a tax for the naughty, tax is a fine for the good!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Until fairly recently, there were a whole bunch of metric signs on Cannock Chase. To be fair, they were all in German pointing the way to the German Military Cemetery, so it was perfectly sensible to have them entirely in km or m.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

timbucks

Post by timbucks »

M5Lenzar wrote:
I can't imagine that is anyone in this country who would actually think the sign means 150 miles rather than 150 metres - and yds is no better - it could be 150 yards or maybe 150 people who believe in an Abrahamaic religion based in Israel!!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

orudge wrote:Who exactly works in furlongs these days?
The horseracing fraternity, and possibly Network Rail for their track - they seem to use chains, anyway, and 1 furlong is 10 chains. Apart from that, and that 1 acre = 1 chain x 1 furlong, it's obsolete.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
SC2

Post by SC2 »

They seem to have stolen a height warning triangle:

'But the metric height is also confusing, so ARM removed it.'

It was not confusing, and their actions are just dangerous and frankly downright stupid.

Also, their patches look horrible

Some action needs to be taken against them, surely what they are doing is Criminal Damage and Theft.
timbucks

Post by timbucks »

swarkestonecauseway wrote: Some action needs to be taken against them, surely what they are doing is Criminal Damage and Theft.
But it's TRADITION... and if it's tradition at stake we have to keep it!! ARM should be out there breaking up the brushes of chimney-sweeps because it prevents little children being put up there!