A19

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

hessletom

A19

Post by hessletom »

This is a great route between Thirsk and Testo's roundabout. After this for some reasone there are too many roundabouts too the A1 - yes the new Tyne crossing will get rid of 2 of these but still the others that remain need GSJ as soon as possible.
M19

Re: A19

Post by M19 »

Without time to go into detail. Long term proposals are to GSJ all of them, but because of the cutbacks, small-scale (looking as if we're doing something) measures are being carried out instead which essentially amounts to providing more space for queuing traffic.

Testo's, incidentally operates quite well, because it has such a huge roundabout island. Compare this to the GSJ further south with the A1231 where the A1231 approaches are always clogged with traffic - thats having a filter lane put in, but realiatically I think its going to take something along the scale of improvements on the M50 juntions (Red Cow for example) to sort that out.
M19
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Yes, the A168/A19 form a high quality route and alternative to the A1/A1(M) especially since the Tyne Tunnel is due to open as D2 early 2012.

The only major problem is the Tees flyover, but even at peak times the delays are never usually more than 10 minutes.

However North of the Tees flyover the road does become very busy during peak hours - even more so than the A1, but there's not much in it.

Testos was due to be upgraded all the planning was done, then it was put off, but it's not a major issue as congestion there is usually ok.

The big problem is after you get through the tunnel the A19/A1058 Silverlink roundabout is grade seperated in completely the wrong direction (it refelects the importance of the roads when it was built). GSJ that and it won't be too bad.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Mark Hewitt wrote:The big problem is after you get through the tunnel the A19/A1058 Silverlink roundabout is grade seperated in completely the wrong direction (it refelects the importance of the roads when it was built). GSJ that and it won't be too bad.
Prior to the cuts this was scheduled for upgrade to a stackabout (after Testos and Seaton Burn, IIRC).
M19 wrote:Without time to go into detail. Long term proposals are to GSJ all of them, but because of the cutbacks, small-scale (looking as if we're doing something) measures are being carried out instead which essentially amounts to providing more space for queuing traffic.
I think there would have been at least one remaining at-grade junction at the A189 if the previous government's schemes had gone ahead, though I could be mistaken.
Testo's, incidentally operates quite well, because it has such a huge roundabout island. Compare this to the GSJ further south with the A1231 where the A1231 approaches are always clogged with traffic - thats having a filter lane put in, but realiatically I think its going to take something along the scale of improvements on the M50 juntions (Red Cow for example) to sort that out.
That's a bit OTT! Given that Wessington Way is crammed full of roundabouts, it can't really carry enough traffic to need a large freeflow junction. Filter lanes in every corner should be sufficient.

Still, these comments (and Mark Hewitt's) reinforce my thought that it was strange that Testos was treated as such a high priority for grade separation. Possibly this was just because it would be simpler and cheaper to do than A19/A1058 (third level needed) or A19/A189 (too close to another junction).
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

I have always used the A19 when going to Newcastle over the A1 / a1(M) as I have always found it quicker with less delays
The M25 - The road to nowhere
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

If I remember correctly the current situation is that Testos and a third level at the Coast Road are in the next batch of schemes likely to resurface after 2015, while the A189 and Seaton Burn are on the back burner.

If you'd asked ffive years ago it would have been Testos and Seaton Burn first in the queue and the other two trailing.

The thing I'd most love is to find out what the proposal is at Seaton Burn, given that the roundabout is so close to the A1 trumpet. What layout is proposed? Which movements would be free flow?

I don't think it can be very many, as for years it had a very similar estimated cost to the relatively simple Testos.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Testos and the Coast Road 'will be prepared for start of works in future spending review periods' (i.e. after 2015) while Seaton Burn and Moor Farm are outright cancelled.

Maybe one reason why Seaton Burn has been shuffled down the pecking order from joint top dog to scrapheap is the fact that it was found to be undeliverable for the anticipated price?
stu531

Post by stu531 »

It would be funny if the A1 were to swap again to use the Tyne Tunnel route.
Mark Hewitt

A19

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Funny as it won't happen. There was a massive change in road numbering last time it happened.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

I know. I wasn't really serious :-)

There will be a knock-on on the amount of traffic that uses the A19. It does provide an opportunity for some re-signing. As an example, you can imagine a situation where you have, around Dishforth, signage such as 'A1 (NORTH) via Newcastle' and 'A19 (NORTH) via Tyne Tunnel'. Or something on those lines.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I've found an easy way to provide D4 around Newcastle - use the A1 for northbound traffic and the A19/A194(M) for southbound which will create a huge one way ring road around the city.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Mark Hewitt

A19

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Of course completely crazy. If I wanted to go from the A69 junction to the Metro Centre I have to go all the way around n
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

My abiding memory of the A19, being hit from behind by a woman in an automatic Toyota Carina at the East Howdon roundabout. It's not a road I have any nice memories of.
Roadtripper_Ian

Post by Roadtripper_Ian »

I take it that when we say A19 we mean the A168/A19 north from the A1(M)? Road is good from Dishforth northwards, with just a bit of truck racing on the undulating section north of Thirsk.

They've just installed ramp metering onto the junctions in and around the Teesside urban section, on the A19 between A174 and A1027, and also on the A66 on the eastern ramp of the Teesside Park junction. The bottleneck is the Tees Flyover, with too short a weaving section over the river in both directions, and a D2 section across the A1046. And its the D2 section thats the real problem - there's space to the north to widen this - 3 lanes across the A1046 would sort it.
"I don't make the rules, ma'am, I just make them up and write them down"
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Glenn A wrote:My abiding memory of the A19, being hit from behind by a woman in an automatic Toyota Carina at the East Howdon roundabout. It's not a road I have any nice memories of.
Having used the road on several occasions, I'd like to reassure you that that doesn't happen every time...
hessletom

Post by hessletom »

Between Dishforth A168 before it becomes A19 at Thirsk to the Tyne Tunnel is one of the best roads I think in the country for getting somewhere in decent time. I've only ever been held up once in 7 years of driving. Testo's really should've been sorted years ago and a number of junctions in the UK that have been overlooked by successive governments - Tollbar End springs to mind as well. The other remaining roundabouts on the A19 have become worse due to Business / retail parks opening - Silverlink on the Coast road junction - who's stupid idea was that. So that roundabout needs a three stack structure. Moor Farm is probably the least worst and manageable with the improvements recently made. Still in an ideal world you'd have a GSJ without thinking about it on such a major road. Seaton Burn is busy because of the A1 interchange and other minor roads like a1068 linking to it.

Removing all the roundabouts would create a great link to the A1 and avoiding the Gateshead/Metro Centre daily nightmare.
jackal

Post by jackal »

hessletom wrote:Removing all the roundabouts would create a great link to the A1 and avoiding the Gateshead/Metro Centre daily nightmare.
In practice, they'll probably finish the A19 roundabouts around the same time as the A1(M) Leeming to Barton, so you might have the slightly strange situation of completing the motorway link to the North East and almost simultaneously directing traffic away from it.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's just a shame the entire Teeside network wasn't designed as a motorway system from the word go - the A174, A19, and A66 are very close to being motorway standard in that area.

A66(M) extension to Stockton? :wink:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

jackal wrote:
hessletom wrote:Removing all the roundabouts would create a great link to the A1 and avoiding the Gateshead/Metro Centre daily nightmare.
In practice, they'll probably finish the A19 roundabouts around the same time as the A1(M) Leeming to Barton, so you might have the slightly strange situation of completing the motorway link to the North East and almost simultaneously directing traffic away from it.
That could be partly avoided by getting rid of the roundabouts on the A689 between A1(M) J60 and make it freeflow with the A19 n/b making it a good quality cut across.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

Bryn666 wrote:
A66(M) extension to Stockton? :wink:
I remember doing a fantasy map of just such a thing many years ago, albeit it continued past Stockton all the way to Teesport via the existing A174. I'll have to see if I can find it saved somewhere.