Botched Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

tom66

Re: Botched Traffic Signals

Post by tom66 »

pjr10th wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 22:57 Edit: see if you can notice anything else wrong in the image. For a post about walking and cycling, there's one pretty glaring error.
Cycling on the wrong side of the cycle carriageway? It's amusing that the car is on the left hand side correctly but the bike is not - one wonders what the artist was thinking of?
jnty

Post by jnty »

pjr10th wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 22:57 It's interesting that the DfT media team get the basics wrong: https://twitter.com/transportgovuk/stat ... JuZBg&s=19

These nearside ped signals are facing into the road! Perhaps it's DfT policy for pedestrians to wait in the road for the lights to change, or perhaps for pedestrians to moon walk across puffin crossings.

Edit: see if you can notice anything else wrong in the image. For a post about walking and cycling, there's one pretty glaring error.
Oops! Wonder if it was heavily inspired by a foreign graphic.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

There is a stop line here but no signals, as well as zig zags inside a junction.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Why these were changed to green balls is a mystery surely having a green ball beside a red signal is a botch? That whole installation looks pointless anyway with every road it leads to been dead ends. A roundabout would of been better. Perhaps there were bigger plans to connect it to Bean Leach Road ? Hence the signals.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

L.J.D wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 20:10 Why these were changed to green balls is a mystery surely having a green ball beside a red signal is a botch? That whole installation looks pointless anyway with every road it leads to been dead ends. A roundabout would of been better. Perhaps there were bigger plans to connect it to Bean Leach Road ? Hence the signals.
Similar setup here
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.78316 ... 384!8i8192

(but merging instead of diverging)

I wonder why they didn't go for arrows, perhaps it's because there is no legal ambiguity. There are arrows on the other side, at a junction which has a left turn.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

L.J.D wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 20:10 Why these were changed to green balls is a mystery surely having a green ball beside a red signal is a botch? That whole installation looks pointless anyway with every road it leads to been dead ends. A roundabout would of been better. Perhaps there were bigger plans to connect it to Bean Leach Road ? Hence the signals.
That's a typical junction designed a part of a private project that is overly-complicated and badly designed. Maybe they used up the arrow aspects here instead!
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I can almost guarantee it's to do with the left turn give way and someone arguing the green arrows show priority.

I can think of plenty of full greens on left turns for just that reason.
Simon
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

This is where flashing amber arrows would come in handy, isn't it?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

graeme_t

Post by graeme_t »

traffic-light-man wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 21:14
I can almost guarantee it's to do with the left turn give way and someone arguing the green arrows show priority.

I can think of plenty of full greens on left turns for just that reason.
It's on the line of the link between the SEMMMS route east of Stockport (down to the A555/MAELR) and the A6 at Stepping Hill. Now, planning on that section of road appears not to have gone much further than a line on a map: http://www.semmms.info/semmms/strategy/a6-to-m60-link/. Depending on the timeline, this improvement could have been futureproofed for that.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

These in Wolverhampton have a near-side green ball but far-side straight-on and right-turn arrows, apparently preventing a right turn if you’ve passed the near-side signal until the right-turn arrow lights up.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
WhiteBlueRed

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 19:19 Oh dear.
The UK really lacks a "left or right turn only" sign. Or a "no straight ahead" sign.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 19:19 Oh dear.
The old installation previous was odd also it had no stop line and a single head here for that arm.
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

Big L wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 23:01 These in Wolverhampton have a near-side green ball but far-side straight-on and right-turn arrows, apparently preventing a right turn if you’ve passed the near-side signal until the right-turn arrow lights up.
This reminded me of the new installation in Walsall, where the primary head is a full green ball, but the secondary is n ahead arrow, this is because you can turn left in-between the signals, but I just think this junction could have been modelled a bit better.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZoJbZpg7VYhB8X9E8
ReissOmari..
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Saw this oddity today. I wonder why the left turn signals have a left turn filter arrow ? Why not just a simple RAGa ?
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

vlad

Post by vlad »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 19:16 Been reminded of this today
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.25501 ... 384!8i8192
What does "Right turn goes first" mean?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

The right turn lane gets a green light first before the ahead+left lane, though why this should be the case I'm not sure
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 22:25 The right turn lane gets a green light first before the ahead+left lane, though why this should be the case I'm not sure
From what I've seen it seems to be a common setup in that part of the country because Brighton has a few installations with signs on the signals saying the same words. Here is one and the Mellors before had the same. It's not something I've seen anywhere else.