Manky Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

B4591

Re: Manky Signs

Post by B4591 »

Just about visible in GSV, but in real life, completely pointless

Also hideously out of date... it does just about lead to the A468, but not directly.
scragend

Post by scragend »

In a bad place for GSV, but did you know War is only 12 miles away?
B4591

Post by B4591 »

scragend wrote:In a bad place for GSV, but did you know War is only 12 miles away?
Handy for lost tanks.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Admittingly not particularly important,this has had nearly all its letters missing for as long as I can remember, and the one for the other direction is missing completly. The rather strange bottle bank sign looks like it's seen better days too.
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

The overhead signs at Switch Island were always popular choices....before they were replaced!

All the text had faded but fortunately you would want the green lane or the blue lane!

This was always pretty bad. Hop onto the other side of the carriageway and you'll see it's gone.
MrEd

Post by MrEd »

Well these signs aren't too bad but it could be a contender for manky gantry
dragonv480

Post by dragonv480 »

wallasey wrote:The overhead signs at Switch Island were always popular choices....before they were replaced!

All the text had faded but fortunately you would want the green lane or the blue lane!

This was always pretty bad. Hop onto the other side of the carriageway and you'll see it's gone.
That's a pretty nice bit of "before and after". It'll be a shame when GSV redo the mapping on the other side
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

wallasey wrote:The overhead signs at Switch Island were always popular choices....before they were replaced!

Interesting that it's shown as A59 too! I thought the A59 met with the A580.....

*edit

Infact it's marked as A59 all the way to the M53 :S
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
CrackersA361

Post by CrackersA361 »

MrEd wrote:Well these signs aren't too bad but it could be a contender for manky gantry
All the ones along the M6 el. section are terrible! They look about twice their age with all the worn and peeling paint and muck!
James

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans. A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!
dvboy

Post by dvboy »

Dudley is littered with old signs, like this one at Kingswinford:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=kingswi ... 5,,0,-0.56
"...the rear half of the train will call at all unpronounceable stations to Pwllheli."
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

CrackersA361 wrote:
MrEd wrote:Well these signs aren't too bad but it could be a contender for manky gantry
All the ones along the M6 el. section are terrible! They look about twice their age with all the worn and peeling paint and muck!
Mostly gone due to ATM though.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
eastmcr

Post by eastmcr »

Not many (any?) of these left now:

Manchester airport sign
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

eastmcr wrote:Not many (any?) of these left now:

Manchester airport sign
It has to be said... a manky sign to Manky Airport. :)
SC2

Post by SC2 »

Manchester airport sign
Ah but they're pre worboys are they not?
The Hush

Post by The Hush »

CrackersA361 wrote:I love these sorts of signs! I think that A444 example actually reads 'A46' on the top, I know it certainly does in the opposite direction, just past the Whitley junction bridge, here.

There's loads in Coventry, some lovely examples of the dark green primary signs from the 1970s, as well as the wide blue border local direction signs too.

There's also a knackered 'no waiting' sign at the end of my road that's clearly been hit at some point, is filthy and very rusty! When I'm back up there I'll definitely get a photo of it on my way to the co-op! :laugh:

Perhaps it says something about Coventry City Council's sign replacement policy? :wink:
I'm pretty sure it's the poor resolution, and it's really supposed to be read as "90" but considering what the numbers look like and its position on the sign, does that sign claim that London is only 20 miles away from there?
Please could you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest...
scragend

Post by scragend »

The Hush wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the poor resolution, and it's really supposed to be read as "90" but considering what the numbers look like and its position on the sign, does that sign claim that London is only 20 miles away from there?
Looks like 90 to me :confused:
Alex125

Post by Alex125 »

Just a couple around Carlisle I know of.
This one is on the A7 at Kingstown industrial estate, and most of the writing is completely unreadable:
http://g.co/maps/r8zuk

and then there is this little pair on the dual carriageway bit of the A69 East of M6 J43 where the A69 has totally peeled off on both of them:
http://g.co/maps/ndfaf
http://g.co/maps/e3b2a
The sign pointing towards Carlisle has now been replaced by a new one :( but for some reason the other one still remains.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

swarkestonecauseway wrote:

Manchester airport sign
Ah but they're pre worboys are they not?
That's a Pre Warboys sign, so strictly speaking should not be in this thread. Eastmcr may be interested in this thread. :)
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
a1adam

Post by a1adam »

Ah, the A210. We must be in the suburbia of South East London
Funny how it points to "London" when the A210 is already in London. And I never knew Blackfen had a coastline.

Maybe we're not in SE London after all and maybe this isn't the A210...actually we're in Hastings and the road signed is the A2101! I spotted this yesterday.

Also note, according to the green sign, the alternative route to London via the roundabout ahead and then back again. Quite why anyone other than boy racers would choose to do this is unknown...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

How do you post links to GSV exactly? I know of a really good one I see nearly everyday and I've just tried to post it and it doesn;t work?