University Challenge Roads Questions

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

GillsPeter

Re: University Challenge Roads Questions

Post by GillsPeter »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 21:54 One from The Wheel :o

Which of these counties does the M1 NOT pass through?
Warwickshire
Leicestershire
Derbyshire
Northamptonshire
Warwickshire.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Steven wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 23:07 Yes, considering the M1 gets within less than a mile from the wrong answer, it's not an easy one at all.
It seems easy at first: the M1 passes Leicester, Derby and Northampton but it doesn't pass Warwick .. then you remember it does pass Rugby.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

For me, Derbyshire is the most understandable wrong answer as the M1 passes between Derby and Nottingham and you might think that the boundary is to the west of the motorway. I saw the show and reassured myself at the time by realising that Bolsover is in Derbyshire and is East of the M1. For the other two counties it was quicker to think of places on each side.

Doesn't the 'Warwickshire' Avon pass under the M1 just south of the M6/A14 junction.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

trickstat wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 13:20 For me, Derbyshire is the most understandable wrong answer as the M1 passes between Derby and Nottingham and you might think that the boundary is to the west of the motorway. I saw the show and reassured myself at the time by realising that Bolsover is in Derbyshire and is East of the M1. For the other two counties it was quicker to think of places on each side.

Doesn't the 'Warwickshire' Avon pass under the M1 just south of the M6/A14 junction.
The "Warwickshire" Avon rises in Leicestershire, and also passes through Worcestershire (Evesham, Pershore) before discharging into the Severn in Gloucestershire (Tewkesbury). The watershed between the Severn and the Trent is hard to map, and though it may seem counterintuitive, most of Wolverhampton and Dudley (and, I think, all of Birmingham), despite being closer to the Severn, drain into the North Sea via the Trent and the Humber, while much of the land to the east of there drains into the Severn.

Derbyshire is a very strange shaped county. It's long and thin, stretching NNW-SSE with Derby at the southern end and Glossop at the northern end. But it has a couple of extra bulges - at the far south, there is one that reaches out SW towards Burton-on-Trent, and the other one is around Chesterfield, extending the county to the east, and containing the outer suburbs of Sheffield (using the modern county as the model here, as the UC question setters would certainly have done).
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 14:10 …The watershed between the Severn and the Trent is hard to map, and though it may seem counterintuitive, most of Wolverhampton and Dudley (and, I think, all of Birmingham), despite being closer to the Severn, drain into the North Sea via the Trent and the Humber, while much of the land to the east of there drains into the Severn…
The Smestow Brook, which is the biggest natural watercourse in Wolverhampton files into the Stour, then on to the Severn. The Penk, which rises in Perton, flows north to the Sow then the Trent. The Tame has two legs, according to Wikipedia, one starting in Oldbury and one in Willenhall, that join at Bescot and head for Tamworth then the Trent, as does the Rae which seems to drain most of Birmingham.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Big L wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 15:56
Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 14:10 …The watershed between the Severn and the Trent is hard to map, and though it may seem counterintuitive, most of Wolverhampton and Dudley (and, I think, all of Birmingham), despite being closer to the Severn, drain into the North Sea via the Trent and the Humber, while much of the land to the east of there drains into the Severn…
The Smestow Brook, which is the biggest natural watercourse in Wolverhampton files into the Stour, then on to the Severn. The Penk, which rises in Perton, flows north to the Sow then the Trent. The Tame has two legs, according to Wikipedia, one starting in Oldbury and one in Willenhall, that join at Bescot and head for Tamworth then the Trent, as does the Rae which seems to drain most of Birmingham.
Birmingham is not renowned for its rivers (why do you think they dug all those canals), but the ones it has all flow north east and eventually feed the Trent. This includes, as you say, the Tame, which originates further west, the Rea (as in the Rea Bank Stand at Edgbaston, now named the Hollies stand), and the Cole, with the Blyth in Solihull following suit. Smaller streams include the Bourn Brook and the Aston Brook.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

the cheesecake man

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 14:10 Derbyshire is a very strange shaped county. It's long and thin, stretching NNW-SSE with Derby at the southern end and Glossop at the northern end. But it has a couple of extra bulges - at the far south, there is one that reaches out SW towards Burton-on-Trent, and the other one is around Chesterfield, extending the county to the east, and containing the outer suburbs of Sheffield (using the modern county as the model here, as the UC question setters would certainly have done).
I suspect most residents of Dronfield, Eckington and Killamarsh would take offence at that last bit.
Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 21:10
…The watershed between the Severn and the Trent is hard to map, and though it may seem counterintuitive, most of Wolverhampton and Dudley (and, I think, all of Birmingham), despite being closer to the Severn, drain into the North Sea via the Trent and the Humber, while much of the land to the east of there drains into the Severn…
Birmingham is not renowned for its rivers (why do you think they dug all those canals), but the ones it has all flow north east and eventually feed the Trent. This includes, as you say, the Tame, which originates further west, the Rea (as in the Rea Bank Stand at Edgbaston, now named the Hollies stand), and the Cole, with the Blyth in Solihull following suit. Smaller streams include the Bourn Brook and the Aston Brook.
The Birmingham & Worcester Canal makes a long descent from Gas Street Basin in central Birmingham to the River Severn at Worcester (including the longest flight of locks at Tardebigge), suggesting at first glance that Birmingham (or at least the southern half) is in the Severn Basin rather than Trent. Closer scrutiny would suggest the watershed is at Wast Hills Tunnel, just to the south of the city between Hawkesley and Hopwood.

In most places the city/town centre is downhill on most approaches (although not usually as obviously as this), with Birmingham you find yourself climbing. This is slightly related to Birmingham's lack of rivers and West Bromwich having the highest football ground.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 13:40 In most places the city/town centre is downhill on most approaches (although not usually as obviously as this), with Birmingham you find yourself climbing. This is slightly related to Birmingham's lack of rivers and West Bromwich having the highest football ground.
Oldham town centre seems to be situated almost on a summit, with slightly higher ground only to the north. Despite some of the steepest railways in the country being nearby, all the town's railway stations were downhill from the centre. When the Metrolink tram system was first opened to Oldham about 2012, it first followed the former railway route below the town centre, but was later diverted along the main street.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 13:40 The Birmingham & Worcester Canal makes a long descent from Gas Street Basin in central Birmingham to the River Severn at Worcester (including the longest flight of locks at Tardebigge), suggesting at first glance that Birmingham (or at least the southern half) is in the Severn Basin rather than Trent. Closer scrutiny would suggest the watershed is at Wast Hills Tunnel, just to the south of the city between Hawkesley and Hopwood.
Quite a lot of the Vision Of Britain local authority boundary maps show the Severn/Trent watershed around there, and others elsewhere. Probably because the water boards were sort-of "local authorities" for the purpose of the maps. Example here.
the cheesecake man

Brilliant Only Connect sequence 8-) :clap:
Diversionary route (2)
Primary route (3)
Tourist destination (4)
?
IAN

Post by IAN »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 21:18 Brilliant Only Connect sequence 8-) :clap:
Diversionary route (2)
Primary route (3)
Tourist destination (4)
?
It is a shame that Victoria made such a big issue about what a boring question it was. She needs to join SABRE and learn the error of her ways!
AKA M5 Driver
the cheesecake man

IAN wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 21:30 It is a shame that Victoria made such a big issue about what a boring question it was. She needs to join SABRE and learn the error of her ways!
Absolutely. Even if it had been boring it deserved appreciation for combining two unrelated things. :thumbsup:

Post by 6637 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 21:54 One from The Wheel :o

Which of these counties does the M1 NOT pass through?
Warwickshire
Leicestershire
Derbyshire
Northamptonshire
Thanks to county boundaries often being counterintuitive, it's not an easy question. The M1 does very close to Warwickshire.
For example I'd be impressed if someone instinctively knew the answer to all of these...
Does the M40 pass through Northamptonshire?
Does the M40 pass through Hertfordshire?
Does the M1 pass through Buckinghamshire?
Does the M11 pass through Hertfordshire?
Does the A1 pass through Northamptonshire?
Does the A1 pass through Leicestershire?
Does the A14 pass through Leicestershire?
Does the A42 pass through Derbyshire?
Does the A3 pass through Sussex?
Does the A303 pass through Dorset?
Does the A303 pass through Devon?

(three of these questions have different answers depending on which definition of the county borders you are using, so would presumably never be selected for a quiz show...)
solocle

Post by solocle »

6637 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 01:02 Does the A303 pass through Dorset?
It passses through both :D. I don't think historical boundaries actually change that, the Dorset/Wilts/Somerset tripoint is pretty ancient, marked by Egbert's Stone.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 21:18 Brilliant Only Connect sequence 8-) :clap:
Diversionary route (2)
Primary route (3)
Tourist destination (4)
?
I don't see it. I'm trying something about yellow, green, brown, but I don't see a sequence or a connection to the numbers. There are two colours on a diversionary route sign, and I suppose primary routes could be three because the route numbers are in yellow, but there aren't four on tourist signs...

It could be a word one with nothing to do with roads, but if it is I don't see it either!
mfmman

Post by mfmman »

Rob590 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 17:35
Diversionary route (2)
Primary route (3)
Tourist destination (4)
?
I don't see it. I'm trying something about yellow, green, brown, but I don't see a sequence or a connection to the numbers. There are two colours on a diversionary route sign, and I suppose primary routes could be three because the route numbers are in yellow, but there aren't four on tourist signs...

It could be a word one with nothing to do with roads, but if it is I don't see it either!
It could drive you loopy thinking about it
IAN

Post by IAN »

Diversionary route (2)
Primary route (3)
Tourist destination (4)
?

The numbers are nothing to do with roads, road furniture or any other aspect of roads. If you’re really stuck you can always see the quiz on iPlayer.
Last edited by IAN on Tue Nov 21, 2023 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
AKA M5 Driver
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

solocle wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 09:20
6637 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 01:02 Does the A303 pass through Dorset?
It passses through both :D. I don't think historical boundaries actually change that, the Dorset/Wilts/Somerset tripoint is pretty ancient, marked by Egbert's Stone.
If only there was a map layer or two on SABRE Maps that could tell you for sure...

:wink:
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

IAN wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 18:29
Diversionary route (2)
Primary route (3)
Tourist destination (4)
?

The numbers are nothing to do with roads, road furniture or any other aspect of roads. If you’re really stuck you can always see the quiz on iPlayer.
Well we are just sitting down to watch the recording of it, was hoping to impress the family by getting it straight away :lol:
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

mfmman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 17:42
Diversionary route (2)
Primary route (3)
Tourist destination (4)
?

It could drive you loopy thinking about it
...Me and you and him and me...
Built for comfort, not speed.