University Challenge Roads Questions

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jgharston

Re: University Challenge Roads Questions

Post by jgharston »

owen b wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 21:32 There's a set of I thought very easy questions on the 1974 English counties on University Challenge this evening.
I was changing channels just before 9pm this evening to find what was on TV and caught the last few minutes of a report on GBNews. Illustrated with a pre-1974 county map of the UK. Made me wonder if their researchers were particularly thick, or if they were making a point.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

jgharston wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 22:13
owen b wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 21:32 There's a set of I thought very easy questions on the 1974 English counties on University Challenge this evening.
I was changing channels just before 9pm this evening to find what was on TV and caught the last few minutes of a report on GBNews. Illustrated with a pre-1974 county map of the UK. Made me wonder if their researchers were particularly thick, or if they were making a point.
Or alternatively, it was actually a map of the historic counties.

There is no such thing as a "pre-1974 county map", as anyone with any knowledge of the geography of Great Britain should know. Either it's a map of the historic counties that continue to exist, or it's a particular snapshot of administrative counties (and their associated county boroughs) from a particular period. A map showing the administrative counties from 1973 looks different to one from 1966, which again looks different to one from 1964 for example.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Steven wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 23:29 Or alternatively, it was actually a map of the historic counties.

There is no such thing as a "pre-1974 county map", as anyone with any knowledge of the geography of Great Britain should know. Either it's a map of the historic counties that continue to exist, or it's a particular snapshot of administrative counties (and their associated county boroughs) from a particular period. A map showing the administrative counties from 1973 looks different to one from 1966, which again looks different to one from 1964 for example.
Well, it did puzzle me, because there was Huntingdonshire (1888-1965), but not East and West Sussex (1888-1974), and no Soke of Peterborough (1888-1965), so I couldn't quite work out, from the 30 seconds or so I saw, exactly what it was mapping. Checking the schedule, it was the last few minutes of "Grooming Gangs: Britain's Shame".
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

jgharston wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 01:29
Steven wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 23:29 Or alternatively, it was actually a map of the historic counties.

Well, it did puzzle me, because there was Huntingdonshire (1888-1965), but not East and West Sussex (1888-1974), and no Soke of Peterborough (1888-1965), so I couldn't quite work out, from the 30 seconds or so I saw, exactly what it was mapping. Checking the schedule, it was the last few minutes of "Grooming Gangs: Britain's Shame".
The Soke of Peterborough was a county borough within Northants historic county until 1965 when it was merged with Huntingdonshire - no different to all the other county boroughs which weren't generally shown separately on county maps.
Lifelong motorhead
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

What about the Isle of Ely?
Ruperts Trooper

wrinkly wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 08:58 What about the Isle of Ely?
A county borough within Cambridgeshire.
Lifelong motorhead
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 07:49 The Soke of Peterborough was a county borough within Northants historic county until 1965 when it was merged with Huntingdonshire - no different to all the other county boroughs which weren't generally shown separately on county maps.
Wiki says that an amendment to the 1888 Counties Act made it a county of itself, not part of Northants. It was later merged with Huntingdonshire, which it wouldn't have been if it was already part of Northamptonshire.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

jgharston wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 02:39
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 07:49 The Soke of Peterborough was a county borough within Northants historic county until 1965 when it was merged with Huntingdonshire - no different to all the other county boroughs which weren't generally shown separately on county maps.
Wiki says that an amendment to the 1888 Counties Act made it a county of itself, not part of Northants. It was later merged with Huntingdonshire, which it wouldn't have been if it was already part of Northamptonshire.
Unfortunately, there are three errors in this statement.

It is the 1888 Local Government Act, not "Counties Act", an important difference. If anyone takes the time to read said Act, it can be seen that it did not touch the counties in any way, just set up a number of brand new local government units called Administrative Counties (and County Boroughs)- and these Administrative Counties were mostly (but by no means exclusively) based on the historic counties.

Areas did move between associated Adminstrative Counties - for example, Dudley CB was moved from being associated with Worcestershire CC to being associated with Staffordshire CC in 1966, though Dudley itself was (and still is) part of the historic county of Worcestershire.

And finally, "merged with Huntingdonshire" is also incorrect - both Huntingdonshire and Peterborough Councils were abolished, and replaced with a brand new single top-tier authority. This is in exactly the same way as this sort of major change has always been done - for example, in about six weeks' time, Cumbria Council will be abolished completely and replaced with two new authorities, both of which are Administrative Counties in their own right (though with no county councils IIRC).
Steven
Motorway Historian

the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Opening question last night:

What shape are all of these: warning signs on British roads BUZZ!...

In the weekly difficulties with UK geography they failed to identify Saltaire as the world heritage site indicated on the map* or to guess which city is on the River Sheaf @

* OK that's unfair: the guess was Skipton Castle, they then got New Lanark and Bournville in the bonuses after being told they were all model villages and were almost right with Port Sunshine, so the standard was much higher than normal.
@ again to be fair the question asked in which city was Mary Queen Of Scots imprisoned for 14 years. Knowing it was here is somewhat obscure so the question then added it was at the confluence of the Rivers Don and Sheaf. The clue's in the name...
owen b

Post by owen b »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:30 In the weekly difficulties with UK geography they failed to identify Saltaire as the world heritage site indicated on the map* or to guess which city is on the River Sheaf @
I got it but to be fair to the contestants I think the map was a bit innaccurate. I would have to have a look on iPlayer and freeze frame at the point the map was shown, but the location indicated seemed to be on more or less the same line of latitude as Lancaster and Bridlington, which is actually quite a few miles north of Saltaire.
Owen
B1040

Post by B1040 »

You beat me to it, Owen.
Good questions, but I felt the maps were dodgy.

I felt that giving Fountains Abbey as the answer to a 19th C monument betrayed a lack of history (or desperation)
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:30 @ again to be fair the question asked in which city was Mary Queen Of Scots imprisoned for 14 years. Knowing it was here is somewhat obscure so the question then added it was at the confluence of the Rivers Don and Sheaf. The clue's in the name...
Mary Queen of Scots wasn't imprisoned in any city, for 14 years or otherwise. At the time that Mary was imprisoned at Sheffield Manor, Sheffield was a town.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

owen b wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 14:11
the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:30 In the weekly difficulties with UK geography they failed to identify Saltaire as the world heritage site indicated on the map* or to guess which city is on the River Sheaf @
I got it but to be fair to the contestants I think the map was a bit innaccurate. I would have to have a look on iPlayer and freeze frame at the point the map was shown, but the location indicated seemed to be on more or less the same line of latitude as Lancaster and Bridlington, which is actually quite a few miles north of Saltaire.
Yes, I thought it was well north of Saltaire too - my guess was Ribblehead Viaduct!
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

AndyB wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 22:16 Even that’s a cluster of four lights rather than a single light, but it’s read as a single line or blob - not that the proceed left or right signals are even a straight line.
Without wanting to get too off-topic, each aspect is typically made up of 5 lights (as per the regs), and proceed left and right are straight lines just at 45 degree angles. It's permitted to use solid symbols instead of individual 'dots' to make up the aspects, but the only place I've seen take this up is Blackpool Tramways in the area outside of their Starr Gate depot (the red units take the same format, but are non-TSRGD point position indicators - though TSRGD has no option for a point position indicator anyway).
Attachments
DSCF4429.JPG
DSCF4433.JPG
Simon
the cheesecake man

jgharston wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 17:17 Mary Queen of Scots wasn't imprisoned in any city, for 14 years or otherwise. At the time that Mary was imprisoned at Sheffield Manor, Sheffield was a town.
True of course, but pedantically calling it a town would probably have confused the contestants. If the question was "In which city is the location where Mary Queen Of Scots was imprisoned..." it would have been accurate. Actually it might have been, I didn't and couldn't quote it verbatim. If we're still unhappy perhaps we should complain to Paxo.
the cheesecake man

One from The Wheel :o

Which of these counties does the M1 NOT pass through?
Warwickshire
Leicestershire
Derbyshire
Northamptonshire
Ruperts Trooper

the cheesecake man wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 21:54 One from The Wheel :o

Warwickshire
Leicestershire
Derbyshire
Northamptonshire
That should be easy for Sabrista but I thought it was a difficult question for "Joe Public".
Lifelong motorhead
IAN

Post by IAN »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 21:56

Warwickshire
Leicestershire
Derbyshire
Northamptonshire
That should be easy for Sabrista but I thought it was a difficult question for "Joe Public".
So how did 'Joe Public' do?
AKA M5 Driver
Ruperts Trooper

IAN wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 22:01

Warwickshire
Leicestershire
Derbyshire
Northamptonshire
So how did 'Joe Public' do?
The contestant gave the wrong answer, saying Derbyshire
Lifelong motorhead
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Warwickshire
Leicestershire
Derbyshire
Northamptonshire
Yes, considering the M1 gets within less than a mile from the wrong answer, it's not an easy one at all.
Steven
Motorway Historian