University Challenge Roads Questions

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: University Challenge Roads Questions

Post by KeithW »

Helvellyn wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:25
Hopwood Park and Armitage are the ones I wasn't really sure where they are. Annandale Water would surprise me but then I've driven that way quite often (including spending quite a bit of time sat in the cafe watching a kingfisher in the lake), so definitely a familiarity bias based on where I happen to have been.
When I lived in Cambridgeshire Annandale Water was my usual overnight stop when heading for the Highlands.

There arent too many hotels on MSA's where you can get a room with a view like this

My last stay had a view of the car park but that is how it goes.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Just now on Only Connect - complete the following sequence:

4: Reading
3: Fleet
2: Medway

The team whose question it was incorrectly answered "1: Thames" thinking it was to do with rivers but the other team correctly answered "1: Newport Pagnell" and won a bonus point. (The example answer given on screen was "1: Watford Gap", i.e. any M1 MSA name would have been accepted.)
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

DavidB wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 20:22 The team whose question it was incorrectly answered "1: Thames" thinking it was to do with rivers...
One of their team did say Reading services when the first clue came up but then they got sidetracked by not knowing about Fleet services. I went for Newport Pagnell.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 00:30
DavidB wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 20:22 The team whose question it was incorrectly answered "1: Thames" thinking it was to do with rivers...
One of their team did say Reading services when the first clue came up but then they got sidetracked by not knowing about Fleet services. I went for Newport Pagnell.
They were presumably unaware of Fleet Services and the small Hampshire town from which it gets its name. Classic Only Connect question as the first clue could also be the verb "reading".
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

There was some quiz on TV the other day (can't remember the name of it) which asked "if you travel north on the A1 from London, which of these places would you pass first?" I think the contestants had to pick the next correct answer each time. The possible answers were Berwick-upon-Tweed, Leeds, Doncaster, Newcastle, York and Darlington, from memory. (I guess it's on iPlayer if you want to check.) I think the first contestant answered Darlington, and the second York. Geography clearly not their strong point!
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

orudge wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:01 There was some quiz on TV the other day (can't remember the name of it) which asked "if you travel north on the A1 from London, which of these places would you pass first?" I think the contestants had to pick the next correct answer each time. The possible answers were Berwick-upon-Tweed, Leeds, Doncaster, Newcastle, York and Darlington, from memory. (I guess it's on iPlayer if you want to check.) I think the first contestant answered Darlington, and the second York. Geography clearly not their strong point!
Haven't checked on iPlayer but that sounds like 'Unbeatable'. In the scenario above the player who said York beats the one who said Darlington and gets the point. Doncaster being the unbeatable answer.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Pendlemac wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:51
orudge wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:01 There was some quiz on TV the other day (can't remember the name of it) which asked "if you travel north on the A1 from London, which of these places would you pass first?" I think the contestants had to pick the next correct answer each time. The possible answers were Berwick-upon-Tweed, Leeds, Doncaster, Newcastle, York and Darlington, from memory. (I guess it's on iPlayer if you want to check.) I think the first contestant answered Darlington, and the second York. Geography clearly not their strong point!
Haven't checked on iPlayer but that sounds like 'Unbeatable'. In the scenario above the player who said York beats the one who said Darlington and gets the point. Doncaster being the unbeatable answer.
What does saying Leeds get you?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 13:03 What does saying Leeds get you?
The order is Doncaster, Leeds, York, Darlington, Newcastle, Berwick.

Vince
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 13:03 What does saying Leeds get you?
A smile :coat:
leeds.png
leeds.png (109.39 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Pendlemac wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:51 Haven't checked on iPlayer but that sounds like 'Unbeatable'. In the scenario above the player who said York beats the one who said Darlington and gets the point. Doncaster being the unbeatable answer.
That makes more sense (I wasn't watching the show, just happened to look up when it mentioned the A1, so had no idea of the format).

Looks like it's as 12:39 in this episode.
Nader

Post by Nader »

DavidB wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 20:22 Just now on Only Connect - complete the following sequence:

4: Reading
3: Fleet
2: Medway

The team whose question it was incorrectly answered "1: Thames" thinking it was to do with rivers but the other team correctly answered "1: Newport Pagnell" and won a bonus point. (The example answer given on screen was "1: Watford Gap", i.e. any M1 MSA name would have been accepted.)
I said "1: Toddington" because I thought the sequence was specifically the first MSA outside of the M25. Seems I was being too specific even for Only Connect!
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

On Only Connect this evening there was a sequence:
4: on a tramway
3: at a junction
2: at a pedestrian crossing
and the team were allowed 1: school/children crossing warning,
when the revealed sequence was 1: zebra crossing, being the number of lights.
I though a school/children warning was a pair of wigwag vertical lights:
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

It is indeed. I noticed that too.
bart

Post by bart »

Didn't they say "something with a single light", so it was clear that they understood the sequence. Latitude is often given if people simply struggle to come up with the required example.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

jgharston wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 20:34 On Only Connect this evening there was a sequence:

I didn't really understand the logic, as the tramway signals I know (Croydon, Sheffield and Manchester) use five lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Supertram

EDIT:

Though looking at it now, I was thinking of the segregated sections, they were presumably referring to this example from a street-running section (example top left - it makes sense now as the others were what road-users would see):
Attachments
tram-signs-highway-code-2.png
owen b

Post by owen b »

There's a set of I thought very easy questions on the 1974 English counties on University Challenge this evening.
Owen
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 03:39
jgharston wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 20:34 On Only Connect this evening there was a sequence:

I didn't really understand the logic, as the tramway signals I know (Croydon, Sheffield and Manchester) use five lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Supertram

EDIT:

Though looking at it now, I was thinking of the segregated sections, they were presumably referring to this example from a street-running section (example top left - it makes sense now as the others were what road-users would see):
Even that’s a cluster of four lights rather than a single light, but it’s read as a single line or blob - not that the proceed left or right signals are even a straight line.
the cheesecake man

owen b wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 21:32 There's a set of I thought very easy questions on the 1974 English counties on University Challenge this evening.
I though they were very easy too, but if you aren't old enough to remember those counties existing it would be much harder.

Also (as I've said before) knowledge of UK geography seems to be pants. Even University Challenge contestants who know all sorts of obscure stuff about distant corners of the globe get stuck when asked about the island they inhabit. Last week bonus questions about Scottish counties asked them to name one south of Glasgow then one on the north bank of the Clyde. The guess for both was Aberdeenshire. :no:
owen b

Post by owen b »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 13:11
owen b wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 21:32 There's a set of I thought very easy questions on the 1974 English counties on University Challenge this evening.
I though they were very easy too, but if you aren't old enough to remember those counties existing it would be much harder.

Also (as I've said before) knowledge of UK geography seems to be pants. Even University Challenge contestants who know all sorts of obscure stuff about distant corners of the globe get stuck when asked about the island they inhabit. Last week bonus questions about Scottish counties asked them to name one south of Glasgow then one on the north bank of the Clyde. The guess for both was Aberdeenshire. :no:
Yes, highly educated people often have remarkable gaps in their knowledge when it comes to UK geography. I agree, the Scottish questions last week were not difficult. Having said that, I got stuck on one of the three UK rivers whose name is shared with a creature yesterday. I got the Devon and the Peak District ones, but kicked myself for not getting the Surrey one.

As for the counties, fair point, 1974 is a long time ago. I'm old enough to remember as an already geography obsessed child being driven up the A690 and seeing the new "Tyne and Wear" signs.
Owen
the cheesecake man

owen b wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 14:15 Yes, highly educated people often have remarkable gaps in their knowledge when it comes to UK geography. I agree, the Scottish questions last week were not difficult.
Certainly a better guess than Aberdeenshire for counties near Glasgow should have been easy. If you've never heard of Lanarkshire, "Motherwellshire" or "Kilmarnockshire" might be a sensible stab in the dark but a county 150 miles away can't possibly be right.

Having said that, I got stuck on one of the three UK rivers whose name is shared with a creature yesterday. I got the Devon and the Peak District ones, but kicked myself for not getting the Surrey one.
Ditto, I didn't think of the River Mole in time. :facepalm:
As for the counties, fair point, 1974 is a long time ago. I'm old enough to remember as an already geography obsessed child being driven up the A690 and seeing the new "Tyne and Wear" signs.
Even 1996 when Humberside et al were abolished is a long-time ago for most University Challenge contestants ie before they were born. :yikes: