Pointless motorway overhead messages

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

exiled
Committee Member

Re: Pointless motorway overhead messages

Post by exiled »

Not pointless but banal on the M80

'POLICE INCIDENT - GLASGOW

EXPECT DELAYS'

As I said banal given the news.

'LET GLASGOW FLOURISH'
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Vierwielen

Re: Pointless motorway overhead messages

Post by Vierwielen »

A329Mdren wrote: The M27 is wierd, the interchange with the M3 is really :censored: up, I mean the breakdown signs are like

M27
K

When officially, I'm still on the M3!
Are you sure about this one? Where exactly is this sign (BTW, they are called driver location signs or DLS for short). According to Google Maps, the M27/A/13.2 DLS is on the main carriageway adjacent to the Rounhams Services. I could not see the M27/K/13.2 DLS, but 400 metres up the road I saw the M27/K/13.6 DLS on the slip road leading from the services back onto the main carriageway, exactly where I would have expected to find it.

BTW, there is more on Driver Location Signs on the SABRE Wiki and also on Wikipedia.

From the SABRE Wiki: Driver Location Signs :
Typical Driver Location Sign for M42 designed using SignPlot

Driver Location Signs are a form of location sign that displays distance information. They are a relatively new addition to the motorway and trunk road network and for now exist only in England and in the Republic of Ireland. (In Ireland they are called Location Reference Indicators.) They are erected in addition to marker posts and are for motorists to identify the location of an

... Read More