Pointless motorway overhead messages

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteelCamel

Re: Pointless motorway overhead messages

Post by SteelCamel »

Big L wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 18:25 Wolverhampton has this message on pretty much every council owned electronic sign, certainly all around the ring road.

BC677512-BB7F-47C5-BD8A-65E5DF935A64.jpeg

Turns out that several councils have apparently wasted good money getting an injunction banning something I’m fairly sure is already illegal. The signs are a condition of the injunction.

Story (and a load of annoying adverts) here. At least it’s not a Reach website!!
The injunction seems rather wider than the offence of racing on the highway. It appears that if there's any racing taking place, everyone at the event is in breach of the injunction - even if they're in a car that didn't take part in any racing. Also as the offence is contempt of court, the penalties available are increased.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

M6 northbound by junction 16 has a couple of miles of roadworks with a 50 limit. Would be better without both of the variable speed limit signs there showing NSL this morning.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Big L wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 18:25 Not a motorway, and not overhead, but I’m not starting a new thread just for this.

Turns out that several councils have apparently wasted good money getting an injunction banning something I’m fairly sure is already illegal. The signs are a condition of the injunction.

Story (and a load of annoying adverts) here. At least it’s not a Reach website!!

The reality is that if people disobey such injunctions the penalties are immediate and substantial and those who might otherwise be involved cannot plead ignorance. Such injunctions in 2019 taken out in Birmingham did reduce the problem. Without an injunction unless you can prove there was dangerous driving the penalties are limited, with an injunction the car can be seized and crushed and they can be fined £5000. To a typical hot rodder having their car crushed is a very serious issue.

In Oldbury in November last year two people were killed and another 2 seriously injured so this was hardly unexpected or disproportionate.

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/news/fat ... ls-3926274

see also
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black- ... s-23923438

If you want to race book some track time.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

On the A14 this afternoon approaching Brampton Hut.
731772BD-B7FD-4AA5-B2D1-6ED29FDB0B00.jpeg
731772BD-B7FD-4AA5-B2D1-6ED29FDB0B00.jpeg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Weekenight?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I will get this sorted.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Not as good as the one I glimpsed in Harlow Monday night:

M11 SOUTH
BROKEN DOWN
USE ALT ROUTES

I will agree that the M11 was at a standstill but come on!
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

Big Nick wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 23:15 Not as good as the one I glimpsed in Harlow Monday night:

M11 SOUTH
BROKEN DOWN
USE ALT ROUTES

I will agree that the M11 was at a standstill but come on!
Even BREAKDOWN would have been OK.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.