A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SouthWest Philip

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by SouthWest Philip »

tom66 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 18:37 Question: What's the most recent motorway to open in the UK, one with an actual "M" number, not just an A-Road under motorway regulations? I think it is the M74 towards Glasgow (2011) but I could be wrong.
The M90 Queensferry Crossing is more recent, but even that has a stupid gap in the motorway status.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

tom66 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 18:37 Well, yeah, the A14(not-quite-M) is the one I was thinking of. It was also needed for capacity reasons: the A14 past Cambridge was desperately over-stretched at peak times.

Question: What's the most recent motorway to open in the UK, one with an actual "M" number, not just an A-Road under motorway regulations? I think it is the M74 towards Glasgow (2011) but I could be wrong.
The most recent stretch of Mx numbered motorway to be opened are the M11 J7A sliproads, which opened this year.
Not counting slip roads (which are motorways with Mx numbering), the M90 is the most recent M road motorway.
The most recent proper motorway (Ax(M) or Mx) is the the A1(M) at Catterick in 2018.
The most recent non motorway special road is the A90 AWPR
The most recent A road with motorway like restrictions is the A14 in 2019.
The most recent HQDC without motorway like restrictions is the A9 at Luncarty, last year.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
spacetweek

Post by spacetweek »

Hi all. Please bear with me as I don't want to have to read the last few years of this very busy thread.

Is the new A14 not a motorway because they needed to open it as non-motorway temporarily and then subsequently decided that it would cost too much to replace the signs? Plus a bit of the old motorways-are-bad-these-days stuff thrown in?
I maintain a site on Irish Motorways:
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

spacetweek wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 23:04 Hi all. Please bear with me as I don't want to have to read the last few years of this very busy thread.

Is the new A14 not a motorway because they needed to open it as non-motorway temporarily and then subsequently decided that it would cost too much to replace the signs? Plus a bit of the old motorways-are-bad-these-days stuff thrown in?
It's more complicated than that. They initially (in the most recent iteration of the scheme) decided that it couldn't be a motorway, citing higher cost of the scheme as a reason and a discontinuous standard rote for the A14 as another. Then, smart motorways came along and magically it was possible to have a motorway without a hard shoulder. Then, the expressway concept was thought up whereby modern dual carriageways could be upgraded to Ax(M) over time. So they then announced that it would be motorway. But then they ran out of parliamentary time and by that point had been signed up everywhere. And it just sort of never happened. TROs were legislated for instead (not sure how this uses less time than a special roads order and that's how we ended up where we are. Even technical and protect management staff from the project didn't really have any answers as to why it was never made a motorway, all commenting that it probably should be!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

spacetweek wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 23:04 Hi all. Please bear with me as I don't want to have to read the last few years of this very busy thread.

The main issue is simple, the A14 is 127 miles long and the only section that meets motorway standards of construction is 14 miles long, the coast and faff is just not worth it when TRO's can achieve the same thing. This is NOT something new. The same applies to the 8 miles of A19 between the A174 and Wolviston where pedestrians and cyclists are excluded. The motorway issue was a last minute idea announced by Highways England and I suggest it just hadn't been thought through and not for the first time I fear.

Making the new section of the A14 a motorway requires parliamentary time and since we are talking 2019/2020 the government was preoccupied with BREXIT. Huge amounts of parliamentary time was occupied by passing enabling legislation. I can envisage the reaction of the whips in parliament to the proposal, I doubt it included much parliamentary language.
fras

Post by fras »

Unless a TRO is made, these very high quality dual carriageway, grade-separated non-motorway roads are open to all classes of traffic. If one makes a road a motorway, there is usually substantial additional cost in making provision for barred traffic. This can sometimes be a quite long road where no alternatives exist. Also, where the land of a farm is crossed, there has to be a bridge to allow farm machinery to get around the farm, you can't just have gates off the new road.
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

The new A30 Carland X–Chiverton X will also include a slow traffic/NMU ban in it's development consent order, so I presume signage similar to those on the A14 and A90 will also appear on the entry slip roads for this scheme as well!

However shouldn't there be signs cancelling these regulations at the ends of the restricted lengths on the main carriageways and the exit slip roads at intermediate junctions?

Neither the A14, the A90 nor the A720 have them, altho' the special road sections of the A1 in East Lothian and the A55 North Wales Expressway do!

What's wrong with a sign showing the roundels in grey with the closely–spaced black diagonal lines forming the cancellation bar like you see at the end of HGV bans and Pedestrian Zones across the roundels, with "END OF RESTRICTIONS" underneath?

(Bryn, could you sketch a possible design, then I can submit it to the DfT etc.?)

Chris Williams
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

fras wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:08 Unless a TRO is made, these very high quality dual carriageway, grade-separated non-motorway roads are open to all classes of traffic. If one makes a road a motorway, there is usually substantial additional cost in making provision for barred traffic. This can sometimes be a quite long road where no alternatives exist. Also, where the land of a farm is crossed, there has to be a bridge to allow farm machinery to get around the farm, you can't just have gates off the new road.
Yes, but the new A14 does have alternatives and does have TROs which ban the majority of traffic also banned on motorways, and isn't constructed with field accesses etc
fras

Post by fras »

c2R wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:57
fras wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:08 Unless a TRO is made, these very high quality dual carriageway, grade-separated non-motorway roads are open to all classes of traffic. If one makes a road a motorway, there is usually substantial additional cost in making provision for barred traffic. This can sometimes be a quite long road where no alternatives exist. Also, where the land of a farm is crossed, there has to be a bridge to allow farm machinery to get around the farm, you can't just have gates off the new road.
Yes, but the new A14 does have alternatives and does have TROs which ban the majority of traffic also banned on motorways, and isn't constructed with field accesses etc
Pleased to hear it ! (not that I go that way very often)
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

IIRC there were objections from farming communities/contractors over the proposals that HE didn't want to challenge.
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

Chris56000 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:22
What's wrong with a sign showing the roundels in grey with the closely–spaced black diagonal lines forming the cancellation bar like you see at the end of HGV bans and Pedestrian Zones across the roundels, with "END OF RESTRICTIONS" underneath?

(Bryn, could you sketch a possible design, then I can submit it to the DfT etc.?)

Chris Williams
It’s as confusing as the start of restrictions sign!

If they don’t want to do the sensible thing, and just go for motorway regulations, maybe it’s worth designing another type of sign to cover non-special roads with TROs that effectively amount to motorway regulations.

Yes, we’d have two types of motorway, but that’s the case in many countries for example Spain with the autopista and autovía.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
spacetweek

Post by spacetweek »

So long as the two types would be coloured blue on maps, I'd be happy :D
I maintain a site on Irish Motorways:
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

spacetweek wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 21:47 So long as the two types would be coloured blue on maps, I'd be happy :D
The thing that annoys me most is the lower van speed limit. I can see how that's necessary on a substandard 60s dual carriageway but it's absurd on the likes of the new sections of a14
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

c2R wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 07:50 The thing that annoys me most is the lower van speed limit. I can see how that's necessary on a substandard 60s dual carriageway but it's absurd on the likes of the new sections of a14
The problem is of course that is a short section and the next heading west is a rather poor standard having been dualled decades ago. Heading east is of course the overloaded and congested Cambridge Northern bypass which opened over 40 years ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.35200 ... 8192?hl=en

This is the problem with most D2 Roads, thy are of highly variable standard. The A1 for example for example varies between this

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.13580 ... 8192?hl=en

and this in just a few miles.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.24922 ... 8192?hl=en

See also Redhouse to Darrington, Great Ponton and Elkesley.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

In the US the solution to this problem has been to apply differing speed limits to trucks on some signs. It's not uncommon to see "SPEED LIMIT 65 - TRUCKS 55" for instance on some rural highways. Not sure why that solution hasn't been considered here, besides the trial 50 mph speed limit for HGVs on the A9(?) - which was an increase above the prior 40 mph legal limit - I can't think of any other instance of it.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

tom66 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 09:46 In the US the solution to this problem has been to apply differing speed limits to trucks on some signs. It's not uncommon to see "SPEED LIMIT 65 - TRUCKS 55" for instance on some rural highways. Not sure why that solution hasn't been considered here,...
We do it routinely on railways so I don't see why it can't be done on roads as well.
doebag

Post by doebag »

tom66 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 09:46 In the US the solution to this problem has been to apply differing speed limits to trucks on some signs. It's not uncommon to see "SPEED LIMIT 65 - TRUCKS 55" for instance on some rural highways. Not sure why that solution hasn't been considered here, besides the trial 50 mph speed limit for HGVs on the A9(?) - which was an increase above the prior 40 mph legal limit - I can't think of any other instance of it.
I thought that is why we have NSL and not 60 or 70.
NSL varies by a specific class of vehicle on a specific class of road. The driver should know what limits relates to their vehicle.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

doebag wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 13:26 I thought that is why we have NSL and not 60 or 70.
NSL varies by a specific class of vehicle on a specific class of road. The driver should know what limits relates to their vehicle.
This discussion arises around the oddity that HQDC's that are effectively motorways from a design perspective (what is the difference in build standard of M6 vs A14 for instance? It's not hard shoulders as ALR is common on smart motorways...) yet the speed limits for vans/LGVs differ on these roads compared to motorways.

This would be resolved if these roads could be signed in such a way that low quality DC's (LQDC?) could have NSL (which would be adjusted to 70 for LGVs on dual carriageways) but then a separate LGV speed limit. Or there could be signage indicating vans may use motorway speed limits for HQDC sections. This is assuming the road is never made a motorway as these issues are resolved in that case.

This is all hypothetical of course, and I doubt it will ever happen, but a man can ponder.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

tom66 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 15:34 This discussion arises around the oddity that HQDC's that are effectively motorways from a design perspective (what is the difference in build standard of M6 vs A14 for instance? It's not hard shoulders as ALR is common on smart motorways...) yet the speed limits for vans/LGVs differ on these roads compared to motorways.
That depend on which bit of the A14 you are talking about. There are sections with flat junctions
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.35206 ... 6656?hl=en

Properties with direct access to the road
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.38136 ... 8192?hl=en

One thing is for certain , there is no way you could ban agricultural vehicles given the number of farms that are only accessible via the A14
tom66

Post by tom66 »

That's absolutely true - but then you have sections like the Huntingdon bypass which is of very high standard and is *effectively* of motorway standard even if it is not legally a motorway. On those roads, it would be sensible to allow all vehicles to operate at motorway speeds, but it's currently legally impossible to allow this without making the road a motorway which creates other issues.