Another bridge strike

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

fras

Re: Another bridge strike

Post by fras »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 01:53
L.J.D wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 01:46
fras wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 00:20One has to wonder what that driver was smoking !
Perhaps they'd just forgotten it was a double decker ? I have heard of this happening alot. Especially on dead runs back to depots.
I think fras's point was that they should have remembered it was a double decker when it went clattering through the chains on the approach. They would have surely made a racket on the hollow metal roof of the bus.
Exactly !
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Think there was one in Hinckley yesterday. Saw a lorry with a very mangled trailer parked up on a layby just after the bridge and the driver was sitting in his cab, on the phone.

The trailer was a curtain sider, and the top of it was pushed back quite badly, and dented at the front end, so at least damage to the bridge is unlikely.

No emergency services on site so it must have only just happened.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Bath

You’ve got to wonder what goes through a driver's mind. This arch looks nowhere near big enough for a double decker.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Twerton High Street always used to be on a bus route, and I see there are still bus stops marked on the road. However, the bus that crashed is the U5, which according to the timetable runs from the city centre to Bath Spa Uni, and stays on the Lower Bristol Road (A36), so shouldn't have been turning in there at all...
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Bfivethousand wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 23:39 A real doozie in Eccles this evening. No news on injuries but would clearly have been a major, major incident if anyone was upstairs.
I'm reading this tonight.
Your post was 10thApril2023, only a few weeks ago.

It seems like there was a Google car nearby at the time.
Latest Google Streetview image of the Barton Road shows a Police car blocking the road, possibly just after the bus remains were taken off to a seaside town to do tourist sunshine trade.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.47630 ... 384!8i8192
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

B1040

Post by B1040 »

Ouch.
How can it be possible to drive a tipper truck at that speed with the tipper raised?
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Bridge in Ashby-de-la-Zouch hit by a school bus on Thursday:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-65633762

Note the very appropriate name of the reporter :D :
Attachments
FwgAFrGWAAANLeh.jpeg
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

B1040 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 08:54 Ouch.
How can it be possible to drive a tipper truck at that speed with the tipper raised?
Going by the dashcam footage on You Tube this happens a lot on Russia!
Beware of the trickster on the roof
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

RichardA626 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 14:04
Happens quite often in the UK too!

There are times you need to drive with the tipper bed up (surface dressing roads is a common one) however from what friends who drive Lorries tell me you'd have to be pretty careless not to notice the tipper bed raised in your mirrors and how the truck is handling with such a high centre of gravity.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

rhyds wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 14:54
RichardA626 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 14:04
Happens quite often in the UK too!

There are times you need to drive with the tipper bed up (surface dressing roads is a common one) however from what friends who drive Lorries tell me you'd have to be pretty careless not to notice the tipper bed raised in your mirrors and how the truck is handling with such a high centre of gravity.
When driving (or rather being driven) past roadworks, I notice that height guages are quite common - often 5 metres, 3.5 metres etc (but never in feet and inches).
Phil

Post by Phil »

Ten in hospital after bus roof cut off in Glasgow bridge crash https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-65665113
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Phil wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 17:36 Ten in hospital after bus roof cut off in Glasgow bridge crash https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-65665113
I visited the site in my Google-car. There are two bridges very close to each other ()30 t 40 metres apart) on a one-way street. The frist has a clearance of 4.6 metres and the second of 3.8 metres. Between the two is a small road leading off to the left. WHen turing into the street that has the two bridges the warning about the 3.8 metre clearance comes very close to the bridge itself. MAybe both bridgers should have a 3.8 metre prohibition sign as the road to the left is not particularly big.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Vierwielen wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 17:46 When driving (or rather being driven) past roadworks, I notice that height guages are quite common - often 5 metres, 3.5 metres etc (but never in feet and inches).
Well metric gauges as in measuring equipment would be expected but there still lot of bridges signed in both Imperial and metric.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 21:26
Phil wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 17:36 Ten in hospital after bus roof cut off in Glasgow bridge crash https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-65665113
I visited the site in my Google-car. There are two bridges very close to each other ()30 t 40 metres apart) on a one-way street. The frist has a clearance of 4.6 metres and the second of 3.8 metres. Between the two is a small road leading off to the left. WHen turing into the street that has the two bridges the warning about the 3.8 metre clearance comes very close to the bridge itself. MAybe both bridgers should have a 3.8 metre prohibition sign as the road to the left is not particularly big.
I dont think so, that could lead to very long unnecessary detours, in any case the road to the left is adequately signed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8508655 ... authuser=0
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

This is visible on the streetview. Wonder if it’s functional.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Big L wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 21:46 This is visible on the streetview. Wonder if it’s functional.
Given the prominence of the permanent signage for the second bridge, maybe a VMS would not have made much difference.
Starling

Post by Starling »

They should have one of these height restrictor things with a bar suspended by chains before the bridge. Like seen in the picture below. So if an oversized vehicle drives todays it they hit the bar which would cause minor damage but a loud bang and it would give enough time to brake before hitting the bridge.

Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Starling wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 00:25 They should have one of these height restrictor things with a bar suspended by chains before the bridge. Like seen in the picture below. So if an oversized vehicle drives todays it they hit the bar which would cause minor damage but a loud bang and it would give enough time to brake before hitting the bridge.

I agree.

One thing that does strike me is the amount of redundant data due to both metric and imperial heights being displayed. Surely it would make sense to speed up the conversion of road height and width restrictions to metric units only. If thsi were to take place with immediate effect, a suggested timetable woudl be to ensure that all restiction signs are in both metric and imperial units by the end of 2023. Between 1 January 2024 and 31 December 20205 the height displayed in the driver's cab for vehicles over 3 metres must be conveted to units. This will be checked when the vehicle goes for a MoT. After 31 December 2025, all new signs will be in metric units only. This will have the effect of reducing the amount of clutter on road signs. If you remove the imeprial units from the above sign, you can make the metric units much larger and therefore more visible.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

KeithW wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 21:38
Vierwielen wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 21:26
I dont think so, that could lead to very long unnecessary detours, in any case the road to the left is adequately signed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8508655 ... authuser=0
How many Continental drivers could cope with this sign, especially if they were driving a vehicle that was registered abroad. Under the Vienna Convnetion, we cannot prohibit vehicles under 4 metres from using our roads on grounds of height. UK legislation requries foreign vehicles that are more than 4 metres in height to have a height display (rather than 3 metres as for domestic vehicles).