A1 Western bypass widening

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mark Hewitt

Re: A1 Western bypass widening

Post by Mark Hewitt »

As said above none of this will be of any use unless Whitemare Pool is given the same treatment. That is literally where motorway that has run for hundreds of miles slams into a roundabout.
varga

Post by varga »

wrinkly wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 13:40 In the days when trunk road names were used, there used to be a Carlisle-Sunderland trunk road, most of which was the A69. Presumably technically there still is.

For a while the Gateshead Western bypass was also part of the A69.

The links currently under discussion here would help to create a Carlisle-Sunderland route.

But at present if you're trying to do Carlisle-Sunderland, as far as I know, the signage does not mention Sunderland at East Denton interchange or anywhere on the western bypass.
On the western bypass, the sign for the Bowes Incline junction mentions Sunderland right at the very end of the bypass approaching the start of motorway.
Gav

Post by Gav »

sort out the A1(M) and A194(M) junction, make it full access, and then concentrate on the southern approach to the tyne, sort that out and you would have a basis for a ring road round Newcastle. The original A1(M) A194(M) junction was from a time that the road use and traffic pattern was significantly different.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Birtley to Coal House has been in progress from since before I was born and I will have retired before it is complete.
Gav

Post by Gav »

z.jpg
Ok not perfect but with the slip roads properly modeled I believe that the junction could be made full access with minimal land uptake. traffic weave also mitigated through the slip roads so that it keeps the flow as intended.
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

Gav wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:10 z.jpg

Ok not perfect but with the slip roads properly modeled I believe that the junction could be made full access with minimal land uptake. traffic weave also mitigated through the slip roads so that it keeps the flow as intended.
You've missed the A1(N) to A1231(E) link there which is by far the most important link.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the second busiest flow either after the A1 to A1.