Uttoxeter GSJs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Hdeng16

Re: Uttoxeter GSJs

Post by Hdeng16 »

Is there any proof Maccies have a problem with an improvement.

Anyways... I'm not sure how they expect to get a workable hamburger-style junction in that space - there's just no room for stacking space is there?
jackal

Re: A50 Growth Corridor aka the Uttoxeter Bypass.

Post by jackal »

Hdeng16 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:44 Is there any proof Maccies have a problem with an improvement.
The original proposal (second image below via GeorgeEvans) included demolishing Maccies
But as others have said, that seemed quite overblown, and the existing roundabouts can just be LILOed. It really is an open goal.
Last edited by jackal on Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:50, edited 2 times in total.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:46
Hdeng16 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:44 Is there any proof Maccies have a problem with an improvement.
The original proposal (second image below via George) included demolishing Maccies:
But as others have said, that seemed quite overblown, and the existing roundabouts can just be LILOed. It really is an open goal.
It's that four letter goldplating cost inflating document of idiocy again isn't it? Why do a sensible and deliverable improvement for £2m when you can spend up to £20m on a dumbbell plus CPO costs and attracting every anti-roads protester in the land?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

^ Indeed. Though with a bit of gumption I'm sure a DMRB compliant LILOisation could be worked up.

For instance, you're not supposed to have two-way single carriageway sliproads (except for compact GSJs which aren't allowed at these AADTs). As the LILOs naturally feed into the existing S2s it might seem they cannot be DMRB compliant. I wouldn't be surprised if this is why they proposed a full dumbbell instead.

But there's a workaround with the LILOs feeding straight into a new rbt. We discussed an extreme version with a pointless rbt on the A45 here: viewtopic.php?p=1200196 In the A50 case the new rbts wouldn't be pointless as they'd serve the services.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:35 ^ Indeed. Though with a bit of gumption I'm sure a DMRB compliant LILOisation could be worked up.

For instance, you're not supposed to have two-way single carriageway sliproads (except for compact GSJs which aren't allowed at these AADTs). As the LILOs naturally feed into the existing S2s it might seem they cannot be DMRB compliant. I wouldn't be surprised if this is why they proposed a full dumbbell instead.

But there's a workaround with the LILOs feeding straight into a new rbt. We discussed an extreme version with a pointless rbt on the A45 here: viewtopic.php?p=1200196 In the A50 case the new rbts wouldn't be pointless as they'd serve the services.
Most normal countries get around the single carriageway slip road problems by using deformable plastic wands down the centre line. Why do we have to be different to the rest of the world...
Bryn

aj444

Post by aj444 »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 23:01 the road in question is barely a minute detour and journey times would be improved by not having to wait for ages to get a gap to cross the A50.
Where would the bus service go? - along the existing bridge to the east?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

aj444 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 17:35
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 23:01 the road in question is barely a minute detour and journey times would be improved by not having to wait for ages to get a gap to cross the A50.
Where would the bus service go? - along the existing bridge to the east?
Yes, you could ensure there was some bus priority approaching the roundabouts either end to offset the extra distance.
Bryn

GeorgeEvans

Post by GeorgeEvans »

Screenshot_20240104_202853_Chrome.jpg
The version of the scheme created by Mapboy shows the B5030 bridging the A50. I'm not sure a road bridge could be squeezed into the space currently occupied by the roundabout (although a foot- cycle-bridge would be possible). Any comment?
Lez Watson
(formerly AVG Evans)
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

jackal wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:46
The original proposal (second image below via GeorgeEvans) included demolishing Maccies
Agreed

Demolishing maccies has happened before. There was one at Dowlais Top before the dialling on the A465 - wasn’t really replaced either.
xnx

Post by xnx »

Based on the overbridge between the roundabouts that could have slip roads added, I am surprised nothing has happened in years. Same goes for the dodgy A515 roundabout to the east which has tested gravity in lorries.

The Mcdonald's (franchise), if an issue, probably want top dollar and will then be agreeable.

The junction west of Uttoxeter was rebuilt without issue though on green belt where the industrial has been added but the developer may have assisted.
vlad

Post by vlad »

xnx wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 01:11 The junction west of Uttoxeter was rebuilt without issue though on green belt where the industrial has been added but the developer may have assisted.
The A522 junction was definitely rebuilt with the support of JC Bamford, who have premises nearby. They also have an interest in the B5030 junction but do they have as much clout as McDonald's?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
GeorgeEvans

Post by GeorgeEvans »

Vlad> Considerably more. They're a powerful local employer and big doner to the Conservative party. They have a large say in local events.
Lez Watson
(formerly AVG Evans)
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

Evening all.

I see you have been completely floored and elated at the good news here.

I lived close to this, 5 miles away-ish. Use it everyday of my life, and it is currently hateful, and if I had Vladimir Putins phone number I’d be sending him the coordinates.

I don’t think McDonalds have objected, although that was my initial thought also. I think this is deeper than that, it’s a rot across our social and political spectrum from National Government, Government Agencies and Local Government.

They know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. People live next to that roundabout, they breathe that air, they hear that noise, they tolerate that easily solvable nonsense. But here we are, we’re going to dig up a crap roundabout and replace it with a crap roundabout to save a few quid.

A 1/4 of the job for this roundabout is already done. There is a bridge that can be recommissioned as part of the solution. It’s craptacular on an epic scale.
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

vlad wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 21:45
xnx wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 01:11 The junction west of Uttoxeter was rebuilt without issue though on green belt where the industrial has been added but the developer may have assisted.
The A522 junction was definitely rebuilt with the support of JC Bamford, who have premises nearby. They also have an interest in the B5030 junction but do they have as much clout as McDonald's?
Alton Towers owners also had a say.

If you drive up through Rocester you will find some of the best engineered B roads in the country, WS2s with hardstrips and that ‘standard’ suddenly come to crashing halt the second you get past the entrance to JCBs test area (Which backs onto Alton Towers) and they return to narrow regular as you’d expect twisty windy rural B roads. The influence spreads beyond just the A50 around here.