Early M11 on 1980's TV

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

sneakerman

Re: Early M11 on 1980's TV

Post by sneakerman »

owen b wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:13
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:30
owen b wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 07:53
The M11 from Stansted south was always D3M to beyond J5 Loughton, except for a short section of D2M where the M25 junction now is where was a lane drop for the then unbuilt off slip to the M25 and a lane gain where the on slip was to be built. I remember as a kid being driven along that section in the late 70s (in a Mk 1 Cavalier Coupe) which was then very quiet.
That must have been really weird having a lane drop and regain like that, it's a pity we can't extract memories into photographs for these sorts of things.
It was. I was interested in roads and cars and maps as a child, so a trip on the new M11 in a fancy car was like heaven. That section of the proposed M25 was not shown on most maps at the time I first remember being driven along there, and I remember being puzzled why there was a mysterious short D2M section in what was otherwise D3M. If I recall correctly there were M11 junction numbers from the start, so I suppose maybe I should have twigged there was a missing junction and the lane drop might be to do with it. Similarly I never understood the lane drop further south approaching London, which decades later SABRE has explained to me :) .
Would you be kind enough to show me the elusive lane drop on a map? I've searched pretty much every M11 bypass from Cambridge to Stansted but with no luck for the past decade. Many thanks :thumbsup:
owen b

Post by owen b »

sneakerman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 03:06
owen b wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:13
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:30

That must have been really weird having a lane drop and regain like that, it's a pity we can't extract memories into photographs for these sorts of things.
It was. I was interested in roads and cars and maps as a child, so a trip on the new M11 in a fancy car was like heaven. That section of the proposed M25 was not shown on most maps at the time I first remember being driven along there, and I remember being puzzled why there was a mysterious short D2M section in what was otherwise D3M. If I recall correctly there were M11 junction numbers from the start, so I suppose maybe I should have twigged there was a missing junction and the lane drop might be to do with it. Similarly I never understood the lane drop further south approaching London, which decades later SABRE has explained to me :) .
Would you be kind enough to show me the elusive lane drop on a map? I've searched pretty much every M11 bypass from Cambridge to Stansted but with no luck for the past decade. Many thanks :thumbsup:
:confused: I don't follow your question, sorry. Maps don't show lane drops. The D2M section of the M11 was in between the off and on slips for the M25.
Owen
Gav

Post by Gav »

An interesting junction the M25 / M11

It is still a lane drop there on the M11. During the positioning of the M25 overpass, the M11 traffic was diverted using the M11 M25 slip roads to take traffic around the work site.

The slips between the M25 and M11 can be used by emergency services to merge to other alignments to enable 'U' turns. hence its just plastic cones separating.