M181

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: M181

Post by Conekicker »

Chris56000 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 14:10 So would I be correct in saying that the southern roundabout intended for the B1450 Burringham Lane (as built) would terminate the motorway regulations and Brumby Common Lane roundabout be simply part of the A1077 itself?

If that's the case, then N.H. ought to resign Junction 3 on the M180 as simply "A1077 (A18)".

Chris Williams
I think that's the demise of the M181 whenever the second roundabout is built. That's going to mean an awful lot of existing signs, both on and off the motorway network are going to need either replacing or patching. More likely the latter on cost grounds, no matter how awful a bodge the resulting signs look. I hope someone competent will be designing these changes, otherwise the bodge will end up even worse.

Two of the eastbound ADS are gantries that don't look as if there's room to patch "A1077" over "M181", so they will need completely new signs - £££.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 21:22
Chris56000 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 14:10 So would I be correct in saying that the southern roundabout intended for the B1450 Burringham Lane (as built) would terminate the motorway regulations and Brumby Common Lane roundabout be simply part of the A1077 itself?

If that's the case, then N.H. ought to resign Junction 3 on the M180 as simply "A1077 (A18)".

Chris Williams
I think that's the demise of the M181 whenever the second roundabout is built. That's going to mean an awful lot of existing signs, both on and off the motorway network are going to need either replacing or patching. More likely the latter on cost grounds, no matter how awful a bodge the resulting signs look. I hope someone competent will be designing these changes, otherwise the bodge will end up even worse.

Two of the eastbound ADS are gantries that don't look as if there's room to patch "A1077" over "M181", so they will need completely new signs - £££.
Hazarding a guess that to save face the tiny rump post roundabout construction will remain as M181 for the foreseeable. That avoids the need to change quite as many signs even though the correct thing to do would be an area wide review.

If only highway authorities understood their responsibilities...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Agreed. I think we'll end up with a really short M181...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps