Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by KeithW »

baroudeur wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 17:41 P&R at Great Denham (Bedford) has never been used since it was built.

https://tinyurl.com/y6eojd6n
Mainly because a whole bunch of development stopped in 2008/2009 after the sub prime banking crash, it now seems to be starting again at this stage with a lot of new housing development. The P&R didnt open until much later. A more important problem became apparent in 2012 when heavy rain resulted in half the site being flooded meaning that much land that had been zoned for development ended up as a country park.

The P&R Site was planned and built in 2015 and was intended to act as transport hub where residents could dump their cars and catch a bus into town but there were never enough passengers and so no bus service. In 2017 they restarted housing development but once again fate took a hand and it halted again in 2020 due to Covid.

I believe there is a new development plan but not what it calls for as I lost touch when I moved back up north in 2016.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Ballymartin Park and Ride, situated just off the M2 NI motorway

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bally ... 11c5h568r7

Currently used for buses, but that is a railway line beside it, the main Belfast to L/Derry line, with no stop
Mapper89062

Post by Mapper89062 »

One thing that perhaps has made the Colchester Park & Ride less successful is that it doesn't directly serve the main routes into the city. Surely people are less likely to use them if it involves going further out of their way instead of directly on their route? Most of the time they are built in these locations at the intersections of key rural routes with the bypass, but a lot of people going into the city from the north won't be going via junction 28, and they definitely won't do so from the south or west. Unless they were to build a bypass of Horkesley Heath to redirect A134 north traffic directly to this junction, it's clearly not going to attract people coming from that direction either. It might make more sense to have had a Park & Ride near junction 29 or 26/27 depending on which flow you are trying to target (though I recognise those junctions didn't have loads of space for development around them or a purpose-built corridor with more room for bus priority measures.)
Just your average mapper, bringing you a map-focused take on today's world
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jabbaboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00All P&R's are useless imo when it involves buses unless the place your going to doesn't have any parking at all (like Whitby or York) or it's through the roof pricing wise and you pick up some workers who can't afford to pay the price.
Even in York you can find council-owned car parks in the city centre that are economically priced. When you factor in the waiting and journey time on the bus, it takes no less time and costs very little more to just drive in to the centre and park here.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 21:20
jabbaboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00All P&R's are useless imo when it involves buses unless the place your going to doesn't have any parking at all (like Whitby or York) or it's through the roof pricing wise and you pick up some workers who can't afford to pay the price.
Even in York you can find council-owned car parks in the city centre that are economically priced. When you factor in the waiting and journey time on the bus, it takes no less time and costs very little more to just drive in to the centre and park here.
It really does depend on your stay and circumstances.

A single person in their car parking all day at St George's Fields may pay £16, which is substantially more than the £3.60 bus return fare. But a group of three adults parking for 4 hours would pay £10.80 to park, exactly the same as the bus. On fairly small things the convenience and saving of a P&R can vary! And of course in York if your day benefits from or isn't inconvenienced by a 15 minute flat walk, you can park for nothing at Hospital Fields Road.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

When I was working in Belfast city I used a P+R site on the outskirts of the city that was halfway along the journey.

The arterial routes are very congested, and parking can be expensive. The P+R buses were frequent and cost less than parking. Time-wise, it was an hour either way regardless of driving in or P+R, short wait and bus along the bus lanes.

However now I'm not working in the city centre, on the rare occasions I need to visit I would probably just drive in and park up, the "top-up" bus journey card expired sometime during lockdowns too, and they changed the service to be less frequent.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

I what like to ask if there is an optimal distance (i.e. what works best) when travelling by bus between a P&R facility and a town/city centre? At a guess this might be about 3miles or 5km? Also, which P&R's in the UK are the furthest and nearest to a central area?
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Jim606 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:54 I what like to ask if there is an optimal distance (i.e. what works best) when travelling by bus between a P&R facility and a town/city centre? At a guess this might be about 3miles or 5km? Also, which P&R's in the UK are the furthest and nearest to a central area?
I liked Cairnshill on the outskirts of Belfast, about 4 miles from the city centre https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cairnsh ... ?entry=ttu

Closest P+Rs are probably Eastside at 1.1 miles https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Eastsid ... ?entry=ttu

or Northside at 1 mile (1.5 by road) https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Northsi ... ?entry=ttu
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

I had never been to Whitby before this June. Didn't know anything about local parking or a park and ride, but before thinking about any of that, shoved the car right here and walked into the centre. Parking brake was sound but angled the wheels into the kerb, I think which I got from A. Tom Topper's How to Drive in Pictures aged about 14.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Jim606 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:54 Also, which P&R's in the UK are the furthest and nearest to a central area?
Aberystwyth used to have a ridiculous P&R which was about 700m from the centre of the town
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

wallmeerkat wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 13:21
Jim606 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:54 I what like to ask if there is an optimal distance (i.e. what works best) when travelling by bus between a P&R facility and a town/city centre? At a guess this might be about 3miles or 5km? Also, which P&R's in the UK are the furthest and nearest to a central area?
I liked Cairnshill on the outskirts of Belfast, about 4 miles from the city centre https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cairnsh ... ?entry=ttu

Closest P+Rs are probably Eastside at 1.1 miles https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Eastsid ... ?entry=ttu

or Northside at 1 mile (1.5 by road) https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Northsi ... ?entry=ttu
That's interesting to know, thanks for that. Here in Colchester I reckon the P&R is about 3.5miles from the first drop off point in the city centre.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 20:59
I had never been to Whitby before this June. Didn't know anything about local parking or a park and ride, but before thinking about any of that, shoved the car right here and walked into the centre. Parking brake was sound but angled the wheels into the kerb, I think which I got from A. Tom Topper's How to Drive in Pictures aged about 14.
I visited Whitby P&R a couple of years ago and used the P&R, which I have to say was working well. It is situated on the A171 to the west of the town centre. https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/roads-par ... k-and-ride
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

You are spot-on. It is the same situation in Colchester, where the P&R is only running at 17% of full capacity and the central car parks are still very well used, economically priced and more convenient in comparison. Basically, I think ECC/Colchester Council still wants the money from these, but also wants to operate a P&R facility in line with other towns/cities. They are trying to improve the service and are in the process of constructing a dedicated bus lane on the Northern Approach Road which may speed up journey times.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

I used the Whitby one last year, really good. Car Park has plenty of spaces, clean toilet facilities, and a cheap and quick ride into town.

I've used a few P+R in the last few years. I do worry about the future for some of them, one in Salisbury (Petersfinger) looked very lightly used, maybe/hopefully I just went on a quiet day. On the flipside, York, Scarborough, Oxford services were all busy when I used them.

Interesting that the Birstall P+R to the north of Leicester has been mentioned. As was correctly pointed out, it was used as a Covid testing site for a long time. Before and after that though, the car park has never appeared particularly busy whenever I've driven by. I'll have to give it a go next time I need to be in Leicester city centre for any length of time. Although ironically that only tends to be when I'm taking my car in for a service.

It's a shame most, if not all, P+R don't run late into the evening. I'd like to use the Portsmouth one whenever I'm down that way, but often I'll not be departing the city until long after the P+R has closed for the day.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Jim606 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:04
multiraider2 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 20:59 I had never been to Whitby before this June. Didn't know anything about local parking or a park and ride, but before thinking about any of that, shoved the car right here and walked into the centre. Parking brake was sound but angled the wheels into the kerb, I think which I got from A. Tom Topper's How to Drive in Pictures aged about 14.
I visited Whitby P&R a couple of years ago and used the P&R, which I have to say was working well. It is situated on the A171 to the west of the town centre. https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/roads-par ... k-and-ride
On-street parking in Whitby is free out of season. In-season it's wise to try to get a North Yorkshire council parking disc (available from, e.g. the tourist information office) for the time-limited free spaces, plus this can be used in any other town in the county with a "Disc Zone". Hotels without car parks can also issue permits for overnight free parking on street - when we stayed at the Pier Hotel (actually a pub with rooms) on Pier Road, they gave us such a permit and we parked round the corner on the Khyber Pass (yes, this is a real street name, my wife didn't believe me at first) after unloading, in a space that was otherwise P&D with a time limit.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

FWIW, two of the Bristol Park & Rides have now combined, with the buses running between the two sites end-to-end via the centre of Bristol instead of being completely separate routes - Portway and Bath Road P&Rs.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Jim606 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:54 Also, which P&R's in the UK are the furthest and nearest to a central area?
Halfway park and ride is nearly 9 miles by road from the centre of Sheffield, while Nunnery Square is less than a mile.
There's also the Rotherham Central park and ride site, which is 250m from Rotherham centre - but that's arguably disqualified as you can only use it if taking a train (to somewhere other than Rotherham). In fact it seems to be more a "station car park" rather than "park and ride".
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

SteelCamel wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 19:32
Halfway park and ride is nearly 9 miles by road from the centre of Sheffield, while Nunnery Square is less than a mile.
There's also the Rotherham Central park and ride site, which is 250m from Rotherham centre - but that's arguably disqualified as you can only use it if taking a train (to somewhere other than Rotherham). In fact it seems to be more a "station car park" rather than "park and ride".
Castledawson P+R is 33 miles from Belfast https://www.google.com/maps/dir/City+Ha ... ?entry=ttu

Tamnamore P+R is 36 miles from Belfast https://www.google.com/maps/dir/City+Ha ... ?entry=ttu
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

wallmeerkat wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:43
SteelCamel wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 19:32
Castledawson P+R is 33 miles from Belfast https://www.google.com/maps/dir/City+Ha ... ?entry=ttu

Tamnamore P+R is 36 miles from Belfast https://www.google.com/maps/dir/City+Ha ... ?entry=ttu
Really depends on what you consider a P&R site.

Warwick Parkway opened in 2000 and I know people who regularly use one of the 700+ places and commute into either Birmingham (18 miles) or London Marylebone (81 miles).
Let it snow.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Meadowhall (Sheffield) P&R is a failure in that if you aren't there by 7am during the week, it's full. With the exception of half a dozen or so disabled spaces that are never taken. These remain empty, I suspect, due to the topography of the station, it needs a few lifts to enable easier access to all four platforms, the tram and the bus station IMHO. Expanding the parking, whilst difficult, would also be a good idea. It might not be full until 7:15 then :roll:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.