BBC: £24m Dyfi Bridge plans go on show at Machynlleth

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rhyds

Re: BBC: £24m Dyfi Bridge plans go on show at Machynlleth

Post by rhyds »

RichardA35 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 09:54
rhyds wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 23:07 There's going to be a charity fun run and walkabout on the new bridge next week if anyone's interested

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/croesir- ... xgMzjkWbIE

Of course, my father and I are already working out the best way to get a look under the bridge rather than on top of it!
Depends how much you want to see - use footbridge on line of old Corris railway and path on south side of river?
Our plan was to rappel off the southern approach to the river bridge section :laugh:

But aye, its pretty easy to get under it either from the old railway or the cycle track. I'd imagine this walkabout would be pretty tightly controlled for H&S/liability reaosns, but we are a sneaky pair! It also helps being very local, so we know who to approach on the QT if we really do need to have a good old nose at it.
Last edited by rhyds on Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Built for comfort, not speed.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:04
rhyds wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 23:07 There's going to be a charity fun run and walkabout on the new bridge next week if anyone's interested

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/croesir- ... xgMzjkWbIE

Of course, my father and I are already working out the best way to get a look under the bridge rather than on top of it!
Can't get there sadly, hope you get decent weather for it. One of the most important bridges to open in Mid Wales IMV, it needs a lot more positive attention.
Knowing our luck it'll be soaking wet (hence wanting to look under it) given how much of an "active test" the new flood defences have been under over the last few weeks. As for the scale and importance of the bridge its up there with the widening at Glandyfi about 10 years ago and the Newtown bypass as a strategic improvement in the North and Mid Wales trunk roads network. Given the recent policy and budgetary changes by the Welsh Government I doubt we'll see such a major upgrade in the region for another 5-10 years at least.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Indeed, as I have said many times, new roads in themselves are not the problem - it is new roads that are designed to just create yet more driving trips to giant shed developments that are. Rural areas rely on good roads that don't close every time there's a drop of rain. See also the A83.

The WG needs to realise this distinction when it applies a blanket ideology - I had thought their "safety/connectivity" exemptions would be enshrined.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:28 Indeed, as I have said many times, new roads in themselves are not the problem - it is new roads that are designed to just create yet more driving trips to giant shed developments that are. Rural areas rely on good roads that don't close every time there's a drop of rain. See also the A83.

The WG needs to realise this distinction when it applies a blanket ideology - I had thought their "safety/connectivity" exemptions would be enshrined.
To be honest I've always seen the "Climate Emergency" as a very convenient justification for cancelling roads projects for the simple reason that post COVID/Ukraine inflation and serious pressures on WG budgets would have involved cancelling them all anyway. The same thing happned with the Smart Motorway schemes in Englandshire IMO, find a politically advantageous excuse to cancel projects you can't really afford any more in order not to let a good crisis go to waste.

Of course, it was the opposite kind of political pressure that led to the bridge being built in the first place, as the project was part of the Lib Dems demands for voting through a Labour budget as they were trying to recapture Montgomeryshire from the Tories.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

rhyds wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:51The same thing happned with the Smart Motorway schemes in Englandshire IMO, find a politically advantageous excuse to cancel projects you can't really afford any more in order not to let a good crisis go to waste.
It's notable that the government had held out against the anti-Smart Motorway lobby for years before inflation started to make its road programme unaffordable.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 20:54
rhyds wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:51The same thing happned with the Smart Motorway schemes in Englandshire IMO, find a politically advantageous excuse to cancel projects you can't really afford any more in order not to let a good crisis go to waste.
It's notable that the government had held out against the anti-Smart Motorway lobby for years before inflation started to make its road programme unaffordable.
You may very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment...
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

A bittersweet story here, and a very nice tribute from Griffiths to a former employee

https://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/lo ... XCDmUlYl5U

Roger was quite a character, and apparently did visit the Dyfi bridge site a few times to let them know where they were going wrong!
IAN

Post by IAN »

rhyds wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 19:56 A bittersweet story here, and a very nice tribute from Griffiths to a former employee

https://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/lo ... XCDmUlYl5U

Roger was quite a character, and apparently did visit the Dyfi bridge site a few times to let them know where they were going wrong!
A touching tribute and also interesting to read that it'll open in February.
AKA M5 Driver
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

A chance to walk fast over the bridge.... Only a couple of days to register.
https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/2403 ... -run-walk/
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

rhyds

Post by rhyds »

AAndy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 20:55 A chance to walk fast over the bridge.... Only a couple of days to register.
https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/2403 ... -run-walk/
Well the walk and fun run were held today, and it was a great community event. Tickets sold very well (figures suggested were around the 300 mark) and organisation was very good.

The bridge itself seemed to be a decent design but does look like it'll open with a 50mph limit (apparently due to the curve at the south end and the A493 junction), but thankfully it does look like overtaking will be permitted (great for passing buses and tractors!)

I took a few photos during the day and have thrown them up on flickr

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBaf2H
Herned

Post by Herned »

Very nice photos, thanks
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Herned wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 09:43 Very nice photos, thanks
Thanks! We plan to get more of the underside of the new viaduct in a daring commando raid*

*Walking down the foot/cycle path along the river
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Thanks for the photos! It’s an impressive structure. Is there a footpath along the bridge or is it just a paved verge?
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Thanks for the photos, although I had to get to the laptop to view them - the cookie permissions pop-up screen seemed to block everything when I tried on my phone.

Is the reopened arch under the railway (final photo) intended for cycles, pedestrians or both, do you know?
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris5156 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:25 Thanks for the photos! It’s an impressive structure. Is there a footpath along the bridge or is it just a paved verge?
I'm not sure what it is officially but there weren't any "no pedestrians" signs and the northbound lane side had a continuous verge/path that's pretty wide. The only really concerning thing is the drainage channel and small (50mm ish) covers over it and white line are the only deliminators.
FleetlinePhil wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:34 Thanks for the photos, although I had to get to the laptop to view them - the cookie permissions screen seemed to block everything when I tried on my phone.

Is the reopened arch under the railway (final photo) intended for cycles, pedestrians or both, do you know?
The small concrete lined arch in the last pic is signed for cyclists (there's a "cyclists rejoin carriageway" sign at the end) and I guess will be shared use. The existing A487 route and the old bridge is being retained for NMUs so that, along with the existing footpath and suspension bridge provides loads of NMU access
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Well the bridge should be opening today (Around lunchtime I believe). Annoyingly I'm in work so can't go down today, but might pop down over the weekend to have a nose.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

rhyds wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 09:32 Well the bridge should be opening today (Around lunchtime I believe). Annoyingly I'm in work so can't go down today, but might pop down over the weekend to have a nose.
Great Yarmouth yesterday and Mach today....Busy bridge openings! . but not a nice day for the event! bbc article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68166464
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

I'd avoided sharing the English BBC article as it is frankly terrible, About 1/3 is discussing how bad the Brynglas tunnels are, the other 1/3 is about a transport company that was Caught falsifying maintenence records and forced to close and reopen as another company and a final third about the project itself.
IAN

Post by IAN »

AAndy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 09:56
rhyds wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 09:32 Well the bridge should be opening today (Around lunchtime I believe). Annoyingly I'm in work so can't go down today, but might pop down over the weekend to have a nose.
Great Yarmouth yesterday and Mach today....Busy bridge openings! . but not a nice day for the event! bbc article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68166464
It would be good if someone could do a drive-through video for us to look at. :D
AKA M5 Driver