BBC: £24m Dyfi Bridge plans go on show at Machynlleth

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rhyds

Re: BBC: £24m Dyfi Bridge plans go on show at Machynlleth

Post by rhyds »

I was also surprised at how high and long the elevated section is, but understandable given the fact the Dyfi is tidal as far as the current Dyfi bridge.
Built for comfort, not speed.
IAN

Post by IAN »

Fly through updated to October 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT8NhGZ ... raethCymru
AKA M5 Driver
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

rhyds wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:04 I was also surprised at how high and long the elevated section is, but understandable given the fact the Dyfi is tidal as far as the current Dyfi bridge.
It's certainly very impressive. Does Monbiot still have his Clio? Perhaps he can be the inaugural driver :lol:

In all seriousness, this will provide a huge amount of resilience in a very weak point in the Welsh road network and is exactly the kind of "good" road construction we should as a country support. It's there to keep a town alive by it not being cut off every time there's a light drizzle, not enable the installation of 2,000 Amazon sheds with no consideration of how the surrounding area will handle the extra traffic.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Its not just the flooding that was the issue, but rather the near constant incidents (every 3-6 months on average) of the bridge parapet/side being smashed out by turning HGVs on what is a trunk road. That was always a pain as it would involve unmanaged 3-way lights, having to fish out all the old stone from the bottom of the river (because listed) and then having the same thing happen again soon after.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:31
rhyds wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:04 I was also surprised at how high and long the elevated section is, but understandable given the fact the Dyfi is tidal as far as the current Dyfi bridge.
It's certainly very impressive. Does Monbiot still have his Clio? Perhaps he can be the inaugural driver :lol:
Monbiot got divorced from his Welsh wife in 2010 and no longer lives in the area. He's back in Oxford where he probably manages mostly without a car.
Last edited by Chris Bertram on Thu Nov 03, 2022 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 09:28 Monbiot got divorced from his Welsh wife in 2010 and no longer loves in the area. He's back in Oxford where he probably manages mostly without a car.
Makes sense if his ex lives nearby...
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

rhyds wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 09:40
Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 09:28 Monbiot got divorced from his Welsh wife in 2010 and no longer loves in the area. He's back in Oxford where he probably manages mostly without a car.
Makes sense if his ex lives nearby...
Gah! Freudian slip.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

rhyds wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:41 Its not just the flooding that was the issue, but rather the near constant incidents (every 3-6 months on average) of the bridge parapet/side being smashed out by turning HGVs on what is a trunk road. That was always a pain as it would involve unmanaged 3-way lights, having to fish out all the old stone from the bottom of the river (because listed) and then having the same thing happen again soon after.
Google Street View shows plenty of evidence of that.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

rhyds wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:41 Its not just the flooding that was the issue, but rather the near constant incidents (every 3-6 months on average) of the bridge parapet/side being smashed out by turning HGVs on what is a trunk road. That was always a pain as it would involve unmanaged 3-way lights, having to fish out all the old stone from the bottom of the river (because listed) and then having the same thing happen again soon after.
Yes, all round a positive improvement. More like this and less crummy developer spine nonsense please.
Bryn

IAN

Post by IAN »

There was some pressure for the new scheme to include a bypass of Machynlleth. I've driven through the town regularly, from the east and north/south, and have never encountered any significant traffic issues so I feel that it would be unnecessary.
AKA M5 Driver
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

IAN wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:19 There was some pressure for the new scheme to include a bypass of Machynlleth. I've driven through the town regularly, from the east and north/south, and have never encountered any significant traffic issues so I feel that it would be unnecessary.
It can clog up during the summer as English Midlands traffic heads for the coast via the A489. The issue is that said heavy traffic comes hammering up to the Clock Tower A487/A489 junction and has to just sort itself out. Outside of the summer peaks as you say its not really an issue.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

rhyds wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:28
IAN wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:19 There was some pressure for the new scheme to include a bypass of Machynlleth. I've driven through the town regularly, from the east and north/south, and have never encountered any significant traffic issues so I feel that it would be unnecessary.
It can clog up during the summer as English Midlands traffic heads for the coast via the A489. The issue is that said heavy traffic comes hammering up to the Clock Tower A487/A489 junction and has to just sort itself out. Outside of the summer peaks as you say its not really an issue.
I imagine politically there might be some upturned noses at the idea of making Wales more accessible to second home owners from England too, if experience further up the coast is anything to go by. There's a real razor sharp tightrope of keeping Mid Wales almost off the beaten track to preserve its unique Welshness and opening it up but at the risk of making it all a 90 minute drive from Birmingham and thus "let's have our otherwise empty holiday cottage there".

The A55 certainly did this with making people from Cheshire be within an hour and a bit of Abersoch...
Bryn

fras

Post by fras »

A few trips on the A55 will soon put off any prospective 2nd home owners !
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

fras wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 17:45 A few trips on the A55 will soon put off any prospective 2nd home owners !
Given average house prices in Abersoch are over £600,000 now, I'd suggest not. Even easier to get to with the new A487 (needed for vastly many other reasons).
Bryn

danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Re the bypass, was there any sketch of an idea/plan for where locals had wanted it to be? I'd be interested to know where the most significant traffic flow is through this town. One would automatically assume it's A487-A487, but with a cursory glance at the map a strong case could be made that A487 (Aberystwyth end)-A489 could be the most significant, with the English traffic as has been pointed out. Personally only ever driven through the town once, but I fancy a return trip to take in this bridge once completed.
IAN

Post by IAN »

danfw194 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 16:24 Re the bypass, was there any sketch of an idea/plan for where locals had wanted it to be? I'd be interested to know where the most significant traffic flow is through this town. One would automatically assume it's A487-A487, but with a cursory glance at the map a strong case could be made that A487 (Aberystwyth end)-A489 could be the most significant, with the English traffic as has been pointed out. Personally only ever driven through the town once, but I fancy a return trip to take in this bridge once completed.
This councillor has been very vocal in suggesting a bypass for the town but it’s not clear how many others share his views.

https://north.wales/news/gwynedd/govt-u ... 11205.html
AKA M5 Driver
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

IAN wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 19:37
danfw194 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 16:24 Re the bypass, was there any sketch of an idea/plan for where locals had wanted it to be? I'd be interested to know where the most significant traffic flow is through this town. One would automatically assume it's A487-A487, but with a cursory glance at the map a strong case could be made that A487 (Aberystwyth end)-A489 could be the most significant, with the English traffic as has been pointed out. Personally only ever driven through the town once, but I fancy a return trip to take in this bridge once completed.
This councillor has been very vocal in suggesting a bypass for the town but it’s not clear how many others share his views.

https://north.wales/news/gwynedd/govt-u ... 11205.html
Problem is that Mke Stevens is

1) A Cyngor Gwynedd Councillor for Tywyn, about 15 miles away and in another county

2) Now an ex councillor https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... t-22426893

The problem with bypassing Machynlleth is that there's not an easy way to do it while providing relief for both the A489 and A487 routes. Also, given the traffic levels, even with the current roadworks for the bridge, don't really cause a problem for 90% of the time I doubt the trunk road agency is going to consider any serious plans. Add to that the fact that few in Welsh Government/Labour are going to want to target Sir Drefaldwyn/Montgomeryshire (Currently Conservative, previously LD) or Dwyfor Meirionydd (Plaid stronghold) I doubt there's going to be much more done than this. Remember the Welsh Government only agreed to this project because at the time they needed Lib Dem votes to pass their budget.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 14:15
rhyds wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:28
I imagine politically there might be some upturned noses at the idea of making Wales more accessible to second home owners from England too, if experience further up the coast is anything to go by. There's a real razor sharp tightrope of keeping Mid Wales almost off the beaten track to preserve its unique Welshness and opening it up but at the risk of making it all a 90 minute drive from Birmingham and thus "let's have our otherwise empty holiday cottage there".

The A55 certainly did this with making people from Cheshire be within an hour and a bit of Abersoch...
Roads projects don't really affect second home buyers, otherwise areas like the English Lakes and Peaks or Cornwall would have very few. North Wales got popular because those who's budget didn't stretch to Cornwall needed somewhere else to go.

As for local views on roads projects, I'd say the vast majority in places like Caernarfon, Porthmadog and Drenewydd/Newtown welcome bypasses. Each of these towns is more than capable of attracting traffic and tourism without having to force long distance traffic through their centres. Porthmadog for example is now a popular local destination for shopping with major supermarkets like Tesco, Aldi and Lidl easily accessible. Before the bypass it wasn't worth even trying to get there during the summer as you'd easily spend an hour trying to get in to town, let alone getting to a shop.
IAN

Post by IAN »

rhyds wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 20:36 As for local views on roads projects, I'd say the vast majority in places like Caernarfon, Porthmadog and Drenewydd/Newtown welcome bypasses. Each of these towns is more than capable of attracting traffic and tourism without having to force long distance traffic through their centres. Porthmadog for example is now a popular local destination for shopping with major supermarkets like Tesco, Aldi and Lidl easily accessible. Before the bypass it wasn't worth even trying to get there during the summer as you'd easily spend an hour trying to get in to town, let alone getting to a shop.
There is also an old thread about whether bypasses are always wanted by local inhabitants. viewtopic.php?t=37227&hilit=rhayader
AKA M5 Driver
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I found it really busy during peak holiday season.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon