A428 Black Cat - Caxton Gibbet improvement

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadtester

Re: Black Cat - Cambourne rumour?

Post by roadtester »

I also see it as good news but I was a bit taken aback to see HE using this sort of language (‘Great news!’) as well, rather than maintaining the sort of studied neutrality normally adopted by public authorities in their official statements.

But it certainly is a very welcome development (in both senses, if you see what I mean).
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

At last!

Having had personal experience of a very serious hit–and–run on the A428 just east of Eltisley I look forward to construction beginning in earnest!

Once completed it will provide a second more southerly free–flowing alternative route without any roundabouts between the end of the A14 dual carriageway just outside Felixstowe at the A154 junction to Junction 13 with the M1, and the sensible decision to make the new Black Cat Interchange three level, along with closure of the minor road accesses between Black Cat and Wyboston interchange will also greatly help A1 traffic as well!

Chris Williams
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Chris56000 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:13 At last!

Having had personal experience of a very serious hit–and–run on the A428 just east of Eltisley I look forward to construction beginning in earnest!

Chris Williams
That junction is lethal, when I lived in Gamlingay I made lengthy detours to avoid it at peak traffic periods.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Chris56000 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:13 along with closure of the minor road accesses between Black Cat and Wyboston interchange will also greatly help A1 traffic as well!
Are all the minor road accesses being closed?

Per Google maps there are three accesses between Nagshead Lane and The Lane but these are not mentioned as being to be closed on the Highways England document - see link below (the map in the document does show one of these accesses but says nothing about it being closed).

https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.co ... %20map.pdf
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

frediculous_biggs wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 14:07 The Court of Appeal has refused Transport Action Network’s application to appeal the refusal of permission for a judicial review

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-road ... tgu9EcPTag

Looks like preparatory work will begin imminently
Hooray!

Have National Highways England Agency published a timeline (revised or not) for when they expect completion and other key milestones of the project? I had a brief glance around their page but couldn't see one in an obvious place.
frediculous_biggs
President

Post by frediculous_biggs »

Keiji wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 20:07 Have National Highways England Agency published a timeline (revised or not) for when they expect completion and other key milestones of the project? I had a brief glance around their page but couldn't see one in an obvious place.
Not that I could see. I'll post updates as an when I drive to KFC. Don't worry all, I'll sacrifice my waistline for the greater good!! :laugh:
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Mapper89062

Post by Mapper89062 »

MikeL wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 17:42
Chris56000 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:13 along with closure of the minor road accesses between Black Cat and Wyboston interchange will also greatly help A1 traffic as well!

Per Google maps there are three accesses between Nagshead Lane and The Lane but these are not mentioned as being to be closed on the Highways England document - see link below (the map in the document does show one of these accesses but says nothing about it being closed).

Looks like, since the design shows a new access to the pub and the house to the south being built round the back, they would probably close the accesses to those from the A1. I can't think why they would spend the money building those new routes while leaving entrances off the main road. The northern access is less clear. Either that will stay or they could repurpose this space alongside the main carriageway to form an S1 link to The Lane.

There's another house here that looks like it might still be accessed off the southbound carriageway.
Just your average mapper, bringing you a map-focused take on today's world
jackal

Post by jackal »

roadtester wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:14 I also see it as good news but I was a bit taken aback to see HE using this sort of language (‘Great news!’) as well, rather than maintaining the sort of studied neutrality normally adopted by public authorities in their official statements.
They're reporting the result of legal action in which they/the SoS were a party, so it is quite natural and proper that they are not neutral as regards the outcome. They are not the BBC.
Keiji wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 20:07Have National Highways England Agency published a timeline (revised or not) for when they expect completion and other key milestones of the project? I had a brief glance around their page but couldn't see one in an obvious place.
Their press release says "We plan to move into full construction by the end of the year and expect the road to open in 2027".
MikeL wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 17:42

Yes, they're all being closed. Here's the general arrangement: https://infrastructure.planninginspecto ... _Plans.pdf
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

jackal wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 09:27
Keiji wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 20:07Have National Highways England Agency published a timeline (revised or not) for when they expect completion and other key milestones of the project? I had a brief glance around their page but couldn't see one in an obvious place.
Their press release says "We plan to move into full construction by the end of the year and expect the road to open in 2027".
Wow, I'm blind, it was on that very page. Thank you. I thought I was missing something obvious!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I’ve just been on a day trip to an industry event at Millbrook Proving Ground near Marston Moretaine, which involved covering most of the A421 and A428 between the A1 and the M1, including the Black Cat section of A1.

The only development I noticed since last time I went this way was that the site which I think is the compound seems to have acquired what I suppose you’d call a berm shielding it from the main road - I suppose to make it less visually intrusive. Or would there be some other reason?
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

There would be very high value plant and construction machinery going to and from the construction compound that needs to be kept there when not in use and shielding it from easy view helps to discourage it from being an easy target for plant thieves and T.A.N. tree–hugging wassocks who might try to sabotage it!

Whilst all the legal nonsense was going on there would be little point in having plant and construction machinery just lying idle there, so there's no need to hide an empty site from view, but now the nonsense is over, N.H'll be wanting to get things moving along with initial preparations for construction, marking off the boundaries of the construction area, etc., etc., involving much more use of the compound than was noticeable previously, so its only common sense to make it as inconspicuous as possible!

Chris Williams
fras

Post by fras »

I suppose the contractors lined up to build HS2 Phases 2a and 2b, are now released to build this road, or even others, (just a little joke) !
frediculous_biggs
President

Post by frediculous_biggs »

fras wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 01:22 I suppose the contractors lined up to build HS2 Phases 2a and 2b, are now released to build this road, or even others, (just a little joke) !
My understanding is that a lot of the kit from the A14 works have been moved
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by frediculous_biggs » Fri May 26, 2023 11:55

My understanding is that a lot of the kit from the A14 works have been moved
I think that's mostly true of the site compound.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Works to start reconfiguring the road for the road works is starting in a few weeks time:

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-road ... trictions/
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

jervi wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 16:17 Works to start reconfiguring the road for the road works is starting in a few weeks time:

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-road ... trictions/
Noticing the black cat sculpture outline at the bottom of the page.

Post by 6637 »

I wonder if the A421 will receive junction numbers after this. It could easily be given numbers which run onto the A14 ones-
A1303: J30
Hardwick: J29
Cambourne: J28
A1198: J27
B1428: J26
Black Cat: J25
A4280: J24
A603: J23
A600: J22
A6/A5141: J21
A6/B531: J20
Marston: J19
M1 junction: J18
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

6637 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 13:56 I wonder if the A421 will receive junction numbers after this. It could easily be given numbers which run onto the A14 ones-
A1303: J30
Hardwick: J29
Cambourne: J28
A1198: J27
B1428: J26
Black Cat: J25
A4280: J24
A603: J23
A600: J22
A6/A5141: J21
A6/B531: J20
Marston: J19
M1 junction: J18

That doesn't make sense to me, the A14 runs from Felixstowe to the M6, the A428/A421 will run from Cambridge to the M1 at J13 and ends on to the A43 at Juniper Hill. I seem to recall the A428 will become part of the A421. It was previously the A45 but was renumbered when the A45 became the A14.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It won't get junction numbers but if it did the logical thing is to start J1 at Cambridge then if any westward extensions from the M1 happen it won't run out of potential numbers.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
doebag

Post by doebag »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 18:14 It won't get junction numbers but if it did the logical thing is to start J1 at Cambridge then if any westward extensions from the M1 happen it won't run out of potential numbers.
With motorways we have A and B carriageways with numbering starting at the start of the A carriageway. Does this convention not apply to DC roads? Or should it ?