A47 Corridor improvement programme

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris

Re: A47 Corridor improvement programme

Post by A303Chris »

Debaser wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 17:51
Looks like development consent has now been granted for Thickthorn as well.
Yes it has, here is the DfT press release
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Herned

Post by Herned »

I can't help thinking that £161m is somewhat pricey for a single slip road. Wouldn't it be cheaper to move Great Yarmouth?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Herned wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 21:44 I can't help thinking that £161m is somewhat pricey for a single slip road. Wouldn't it be cheaper to move Great Yarmouth?
You might be able to just demolish it for that money :scratchchin:
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 07:24
Herned wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 21:44 I can't help thinking that £161m is somewhat pricey for a single slip road. Wouldn't it be cheaper to move Great Yarmouth?
You would have to fill in the Norfolk Broads as well

Most of the slip road is in a deep(ish) tunnel on a radius
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 07:24
Or just wait for it to disappear into the sea due to sea level rises and coastal erosion :coat:
jackal

Post by jackal »

It was only £91.2m in the funding statement submitted with the DCO application in April 2021. I do not think such a dramatic increase over such a short period of time is possible for a scheme that hasn't undergone significant changes. More likely the £161m includes additional elements (e.g., decades of maintenance) or uses a different accounting method. I've seen the number in multiple news reports but they don't name the source.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Updates to the schemes in bold:

A47/A141 Guyhirn junction - Complete
A47 Blofield to North Burlingham - DCO granted, application for judicial review granted, High Court hearings on 10 and 11 May
A47 North Tuddenham to Easton - DCO granted, application for judicial review granted, High Court hearings on 10 and 11 May
A47/A11 Thickthorn junction improvement - application for judicial review granted, High Court hearings on 10 and 11 May
A47 Wansford to Sutton - DCO granted Friday 17 February
A47 Great Yarmouth junction improvements - doesn't need DCO, to start 2023/24
Rogndave

Post by Rogndave »

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23640622.n ... dismissed/
I presume this judgement means that the three Norfolk schemes, plus the Wansford - Sutton scheme can now commence at long last (unless HM Treasury has other ideas).

Although the complainant has stated an intention to appeal, my understanding is that an appeal will not prevent start of work.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I had wondered why progress hadn’t been made so far, although permission for Wansford-Sutton was only granted recently.

It has been alleged part of the Wansford route may be prone to subsidence. But NH seem quite confident about it.
jackal

Post by jackal »

It's ridiculous that it's taken 7 months to hear this case. As mentioned in news reports, it's added tens of millions to scheme costs due to inflation. And we could yet have further months of delay for an appeal. Surely it would make sense for high court capacity to be set aside for major public infrastructure projects (I believe utility companies have similar arrangements with magistrates).
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Yet another legal challenge, citing environmental concerns, that completely ignores the environmental damage caused by NOT fixing the problem.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Thickthorn is being retendered after cost increases to £161m. The design is unchanged and should start construction in the Spring.
https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/ ... on-upgrade
A1OZZ

Post by A1OZZ »

Just seen that work between Wansford and Sutton is to commence late autumn of this year.

In addition to the benefits to the motorist it’s good to see the cyclist is accommodated well in the plans as currently it is difficult to cycle safely from Wansford to Ailsworth/Castor.

I avoid cycling on the A47 here as it is dangerous so have to use bridleways near Sacrewell Farm. Still involves crossing fast moving traffic at the Sacrewell Farm junction.

The project links up the existing cycle route under the A1 at Wansford to Ailsworth/Castor with an underpass to get to Sutton Heath Road and Langley Bush Road. Excellent 👍🏻
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

Rogndave wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 20:51 https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23640622.n ... dismissed/
I presume this judgement means that the three Norfolk schemes, plus the Wansford - Sutton scheme can now commence at long last (unless HM Treasury has other ideas).

Although the complainant has stated an intention to appeal, my understanding is that an appeal will not prevent start of work.
Appeal has been launched.
National Highways wrote:To avoid any further delays, we can continue to carry out early works, such as archaeology, compound set up and utility diversions, on the schemes while we await the court’s decision.
Sounds like some minor work can go ahead for now, although I'm not sure what the timescale will be for receiving the outcome of the appeal. Hopefully this doesn't add on any extra time to the projects.
Berk

Post by Berk »

The idiots funding this challenge must have very deep pockets.

Why can’t they use that money to fund travel infrastructure, such as park&ride’s?? Would be a much better use of their money.
doebag

Post by doebag »

Looks like North Tuddenham to Easton is starting. Minor back road closures and fencing/marking out happening.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

doebag wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 22:01 Looks like North Tuddenham to Easton is starting. Minor back road closures and fencing/marking out happening.
Same thing at Burlingham by the sound of it
jackal

Post by jackal »

They won't start main works until, at the earliest, the judgment on the appeal, which is months away. As above these will be preparatory works "such as archaeology, compound set up and utility diversions".
Berk

Post by Berk »

Needs to be stressed, the appeal only relates to the three Norwich schemes.

The Wansford scheme should still be on track.
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

Berk wrote:The idiots funding this challenge must have very deep pockets.

Why can’t they use that money to fund travel infrastructure, such as park&ride’s?? Would be a much better use of their money.
Seems to be crowdfunded. The plaintiff seems to have a history of legally challenging a fair few road building schemes over the years, but I haven't read of any successful challenges from them. One does wonder when they might give in, and where the line between a genuine legal challenge and making a nuisance may be drawn...