Grade-separated Junctions on Single Carriageway Roads

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Burns

Re: Grade-separated Junctions on Single Carriageway Roads

Post by Burns »

wrinkly wrote:
B1040 wrote:It's not quite a junction, but I love this little bridge (pretty much hidden by the trees) near Guthrie in Angus. It seems a bit of an overkill given likely volumes of traffic on the road or in the estate
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.63912 ... 688,17.96z
I don't see any bridge on the Google map at your link.

Can you do a Streetview link?

Is it perhaps one of those bridges that country landowners built so that they could drive round their grounds and across a public road without coming into contact with the plebs? There are several of those around the country.
If it's the bridge I'm thinking of, then it is here. It was originally a railway bridge and it was built to appease the landowner. Structures like that are quite common. If you're familiar with the Haddon estate in the Peak District, there's a 2/3rd mile long tunnel under the grounds, built purely to keep the railway out of sight of the house.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

SirKnoes at 18:37 wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned the two on the A370 south west of Bristol.
I've long suspected my posts have an invisibility problem. Now I know they have. :wink:
Andy P at 10:58 wrote:There's one at each end of the Long Ashton by-pass: A370/B3128 and A370/B3130.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

SirKnoes wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned the two on the A370 south west of Bristol.
Welcome to Sabre .... but (EDIT - as he's literally just pointed out) the ones on the A370 were mentioned by Andy P's post above yours.
crowntown100 wrote:I've got a few. I like this one on the A36 here,.
That one was mentioned by Riley Rob, just a couple of posts above yours! I know, because I wanted to cite it too.

Doesn't anybody read threads any more?
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
ais523

Post by ais523 »

This might count as cheating, but A38(M) junction 1. (It's temporarily dualled for its two terminal junctions, so the one in the middle is the only one that counts.)
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

This one on the B4229 at Goodrich.

A4810/B4245 as well.

And possibly this one on the A48 near Chepstow too.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
B1040

Post by B1040 »

wrinkly wrote:
B1040 wrote:It's not quite a junction, but I love this little bridge (pretty much hidden by the trees) near Guthrie in Angus. It seems a bit of an overkill given likely volumes of traffic on the road or in the estate

Is it perhaps one of those bridges that country landowners built so that they could drive round their grounds and across a public road without coming into contact with the plebs? There are several of those around the country.
That's what it is. The road underneath is private, so there is no streetview of the underneath.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Burns wrote:
wrinkly wrote:

If it's the bridge I'm thinking of, then it is here. It was originally a railway bridge and it was built to appease the landowner. Structures like that are quite common. If you're familiar with the Haddon estate in the Peak District, there's a 2/3rd mile long tunnel under the grounds, built purely to keep the railway out of sight of the house.
That's a splendid bridge, but not the one I was thinking of.
Here's street view on top of the bridge.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.63908 ... 312!8i6656
fras

Post by fras »

We've got a GSJ of sorts on the A534 Haslington By-pass here. A minor road goes over the bypass, and one can then get onto it via a short lane connection. Certainly it makes the bypass pretty free-flowing. No doubt Cheshire East have plans to stop this and put in "movement prevention" measures !
Benny

Post by Benny »

Funny that they built that but killed Mill Lane!
Living my life on the edge......of two counties!

Formerly known as Roverman

Still driving a British built car, made in a former Rover factory......
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

crowntown100 wrote:I've got a few. I like this one on the A36 here,.
That one was mentioned by Riley Rob, just a couple of posts above yours! I know, because I wanted to cite it too.

Doesn't anybody read threads any more?[/quote]
Damn, I missed it completely. I thought I'd seen another one on the A36 further up thread, but not that one.
Harry
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Beardy5632 wrote:This one on the B4229 at Goodrich.

I think the B4229 and the Beachley Road one in Tutshill both count as link roads rather than a GSJs. The original poster said that they weren't allowed!

Regarding the latter (my parents used to live in the estate surrounded by the A48, Beachley Road, and the link road!), I'd imagine it was built that way because the B4228 (as the Beachley Road was at that time) is far above the new section of A48, and they couldn't have built a normal crossroads even if they'd wanted to! So it's not because there was any particular need to manage the traffic flow, and is therefore like that for a different reason than, say, the link road between the A303 and A350.
Beardy5632 wrote:A4810/B4245 as well.
Now that is a good 'un!

Viva la Repubblica!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Owain wrote:
Beardy5632 wrote:This one on the B4229 at Goodrich.

I think the B4229 and the Beachley Road one in Tutshill both count as link roads rather than a GSJs. The original poster said that they weren't allowed!

Regarding the latter (my parents used to live in the estate surrounded by the A48, Beachley Road, and the link road!), I'd imagine it was built that way because the B4228 (as the Beachley Road was at that time) is far above the new section of A48, and they couldn't have built a normal crossroads even if they'd wanted to! So it's not because there was any particular need to manage the traffic flow, and is therefore like that for a different reason than, say, the link road between the A303 and A350.
Beardy5632 wrote:A4810/B4245 as well.
Now that is a good 'un!
I really need to pay attention :lol:
That one at Tutshill could easily be made into a GSJ mind if they turned the B4228 and Sedbury turnings into LILOS.

Anyway, back on topic, I completely forgot about the one on the A697
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

The path* from the old Level Crossing on Newport Road to Tayport Common, has got a couple of junctions which could be claimed as GSJs

Unfortunately not too visible from the air due to trees, from where it runs to the north of the cemetery down to the wee lighthouse there's 2 wooden bridges over paths that run under it, on one side at each there is steps and a ramp and on the other IIRC just steps.

https://binged.it/29QSvb6

Edit: You can see one of them here https://binged.it/29QTOqu

* Although it's designated as a shared use path; given the definition of a road in Scotland covers pretty much everything that is passable by vehicle ...
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

wrinkly wrote:
brummie_rob wrote:Probably been posted in the past but here is an old one which originates from 1930 in Hanley: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sto ... d-2.179404
That's not the only one in Hanley! The other one is more (but not very) recent and is a dual-to-single example.
The Festival Park flyover.

It's even the very same road.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Beardy5632 wrote: And possibly this one on the A48 near Chepstow too.

[...] That one at Tutshill could easily be made into a GSJ mind if they turned the B4228 and Sedbury turnings into LILOS.
Not a bad idea! Turning right onto the A48 from the Beachley Road link road can be a nightmare at peak times, and it's worth driving th long way round, right up through Tutshill village in order to make it a more simple left-turn from the B4228 Gloucester Road.

---

I know the original poster said UK, but we generally include Irish roads in discussion, so I've cheated to include some interesting Irish examples:

N5/N17 is a beauty

There are a few nice ones on the N2 here and here.

This is a good one on the N20, which looks like the through route is dualled on the map, but if you use GSV you'll see that it's not. That road also has this one, where the through route is basically S2 but with a tiny stretch of central reservation simply to stop traffic turning the wrong way out of the slips.

The same seems to go for this one on the N15, although in this case the road is a more serious D1 than in the example above.

Viva la Repubblica!
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

I found 1 on some b roads near Coleraine 5 years ago but I cant remember where exactly it was....
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

A couple more on the A9, first the middle B817 junction at Alness, and second the newly rebuilt one at Bankfoot, which I think is technically on a D1 bit of the A9 now. Don't think anyone else has mentioned them yet...
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

A40/A418 used to be a tenuous contender. The through route is a dual carriageway, but the spur road is single and came with a fun (albeit dangerous) acceleration lane which has now been hatched down to a sensible and familiar give way line.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

rileyrob wrote:A couple more on the A9, first the middle B817 junction at Alness, and second the newly rebuilt one at Bankfoot, which I think is technically on a D1 bit of the A9 now. Don't think anyone else has mentioned them yet...
The "D1" bits at Bankfoot do not have the signage for the 50mpg limit for lorries, nor are they signed as dual carriage way, with the signage indicating a traffic island. It also only lasts the length of the junction so is presumably there to prevent right turns.

So I suspect legally they are S1 with islands enforcing restrictions.