Why are there no "The EAST" primary destination signs?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

w0033944

Re: Why are there no "The EAST" primary destination signs?

Post by w0033944 »

ais523 wrote:
rhyds wrote:I'm not saying this should be the situation (especially when you consider the lack of difficult terrain for roadbuilding), simply suggesting it as a possible explanation as to the lack of high quality routes
Inland East Anglia is flat and wet, and has considerable drainage problems, so the terrain isn't as good as you might think. Major roads typically have to be built on an embankment to prevent them flooding. For example, some sections of the A47 would be hard to widen because they have to be raised to avoid the floodplain of the river Nene.
You've picked the western/north-western parts of the region (the Fens) and used them as an example of the entire region. I live in an inland part of East Anglia, and I can assure you that, a bit of boulder clay notwithstanding, it's not wet. Indeed, this part of the country gets less rainfall than most, and our back garden at present is pretty dry after a spell without significant rainfall.
Chris Bell.
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

jabbaboy wrote:There's a few The EAST signs in Carlisle like here.
Well in Carlisle all there missing is 'The North' sign here.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

thatapanydude wrote:
Its Carlisle, there is no more "north" from there!
Built for comfort, not speed.
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

rhyds wrote:
thatapanydude wrote:

well from 2012 there is!!
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
CallumParry

Post by CallumParry »

There's a RCS on the A66 E/B at brough that states A66 The NORTH EAST
and shouldn't Wetherby be in Brackets because it's not along the A66 and i'm surprised Middlesbrough or Durham isn't on it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.52446 ... 312!8i6656
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 19.38.36.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 19.38.36.png (255.59 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Brackets around place names hasn't been allowed for a while now.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

thatapanydude wrote:
rhyds wrote:
thatapanydude wrote:

well from 2012 there is!!
Maybe, in this case, "The North" should be replaced by "Scotland"! :stir:
vlad

Post by vlad »

You need to get out of Carlisle a bit before they mention Scotland.

From the same roundabout, apparently the A7 doesn't go to Scotland, only to Hawick, Galashiels and Edinburgh....
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

CallumParry wrote:There's a RCS on the A66 E/B at brough that states A66 The NORTH EAST
and shouldn't Wetherby be in Brackets because it's not along the A66 and i'm surprised Middlesbrough or Durham isn't on it.
Brackets haven't been used on RCS destinations since 1994. They are still used to indicate distant road numbers as normal.

Middlesbrough wouldn't be used from that far out ... Teesside is used outside the area, only breaking down to Middlesbrough and Stockton once you get close. I agree that it's slightly surprising that it isn't included, but I guess it is covered by "The NORTH EAST".

A lot more traffic from A66 turns right onto A1 South than turns left for A1 North or A66 East, which I guess is why Wetherby is shown but nowhere north of Darlington. Wetherby has always struck me as a slightly odd place to be so heavily signposted, taking precedence over the much larger York, Leeds and Darlington.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Stevie D wrote:Wetherby has always struck me as a slightly odd place to be so heavily signposted, taking precedence over the much larger York, Leeds and Darlington.
It is/was a significant waypoint for navigation, being where the road to Leeds diverges from the road to London. Of course it's not so obvious now, since the Wetherby roundabout was bypassed and traffic for Leeds is encouraged towards the A64, but prior to that you knew that it was a place where route choices were made.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

vlad wrote:You need to get out of Carlisle a bit before they mention Scotland.
On the M6 mainline Scotland is first mentioned at J40 (unless it's mentioned earlier on an RCS):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.64949 ... 312!8i6656

And according to a recent discussion, it was also mentioned on one sign at Wednesbury!
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Jeni wrote:We don't like to go east, it's not the done thing ;-)

There lies dragons
Like my ex-wife, for one :lol:
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

Looks like the person who designed the sign couldn't be bothered to add all the possible routes on the A45 e.g. cambridge, st neots, kettering so they just left it as the east!
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I'm fairly certain that 'EAST' exists on some signs in Newcastle in the Central Motorway...

The coast is only about 10 miles. Maybe they were talking about Holland?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I can quite see why wetherby is used as it's next to the A1(M) and at one was on the A1 both Leeds and York require a drive along the A64 to get to them from the A1(M).......also as mentioned people used to leave at wetherby towards Leeds although most now continue down to J44 and use the A64 to Leeds rather than A58 I admit myself I always now use the A64 over the A58.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

The EAST, A69, (M6) on a direction sign on the A7 Georgian Way through Carlisle.

As a fact, 'The EAST' is a sanctioned regional destination in LTN 1/94.

I suggest the extreme rarity of 'The EAST' signs is explained by the fact that the road network and signage tends to revolve around London so much. Immediately east of London is the Thames Estuary, and there are slim pickings for primary destinations there, with Basildon, Southend-on-Sea and Tilbury, so they probably don't see much point in generalising with terms like 'The EAST' when you could just sign the PDs in question (all of which are within 30 miles of the M25). East Anglia and surrounding areas all require a substantial drive NORTH from London, meaning that 'The EAST' wouldn't be entirely appropriate for that either, in fact, I remember seeing a sign on the M25 anticlockwise just north of Dartford saying something to the tune of 'For EAST ANGLIA, follow A12 Chelmsford'.
It would also explain why 'The WEST' signs are generally (but not entirely) restricted to the M4 corridor, it's the main route to The WEST, where there are far more potential destinations, from within the M25.

Plus, in other parts of Britain, there is no obvious route to the 'east'. If I'm on let's say the M6 South approaching J44, both Newcastle and Norwich are 'east' of my current location, but I'm going to need vastly different routes to get to them.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

We could also replace The South bc "the south" really means London and the South East. As someone commented upthread, this regionalised naming system is a London thing bc no one outside of London identifies with regions., I'm pretty sure there is a sign on the M25 for "East Anglia" - where is that? It's not a city or county, it won't appear on any satnav. No one identifies as East Anglian, definitely not people in Essex who pivot more towards London than rural Suffolk and Norfolk.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

One place to put The EAST is on the A11 turn off from the M11. But having Newmarket and Norwich on there does the same job adequately.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Me: aha, the M2 Belfast has a lot of compass destinations...

M2 Belfast: the NORTH, the SOUTH, the WEST....

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.6295738 ... 384!8i8192

:shock:
Disgruntled Goat

Post by Disgruntled Goat »

BF2142 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 09:30 We could also replace The South bc "the south" really means London and the South East. As someone commented upthread, this regionalised naming system is a London thing bc no one outside of London identifies with regions., I'm pretty sure there is a sign on the M25 for "East Anglia" - where is that? It's not a city or county, it won't appear on any satnav. No one identifies as East Anglian, definitely not people in Essex who pivot more towards London than rural Suffolk and Norfolk.
It's here approaching the A12 junction anti-clockwise: https://goo.gl/maps/a986HZzF5crbkQcx7

You could make an argument depending on your definition of East Anglia that parts of it are actually better served by using the M11 instead of the A12