Third Menai Crossing (consultation)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nowster
Treasurer

Re: Third Menai Crossing (consultation)

Post by nowster »

KeithW wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 22:29... the old ferry crossing point between Y Felinheli and Moel Y Don, worst comes to worst MOD could probably find a landing craft.
That explains why that road always seemed over-engineered to me for the few places that are down that way.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

M16 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 21:22 As someone who regularly visits North Wales for the holidays to see family, this is pretty much the top of everyone's Wishlist.
It will be interesting to see if there is any political backlash to the decision to effectively scrap the building of the third Menai Crossing in the next set of Welsh Assembly elections.
Marcomahony

Post by Marcomahony »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 20:28 There's only one of the former two rail lines crossing the Britannia Bridge - why not use the disused line as a foot & cycle path?
The Britannia Bridge isn't really in a good location for foot /cycle traffic.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

For me, the better outcome would be after the third crossing is built, the Menai Bridge to be closed to traffic, apart form emergency vehicles, and that bridge used exclusively for pedestrians and cyclists. The Britannia Bridge would become a local access road for the A5 and Llanfair PG and north Bangor with the third crossing linking up with the Llanfair bypass.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

That elusive Third crossing would have come in handy today. Serious RTC has closed the A55 at Britannia Bridge, Westbound has reopened now at least. >7.5T vehicles being stacked, with the rest sat in queues to get over the Menai Bridge.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Rillington wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:13 For me, the better outcome would be after the third crossing is built, the Menai Bridge to be closed to traffic, apart form emergency vehicles, and that bridge used exclusively for pedestrians and cyclists. The Britannia Bridge would become a local access road for the A5 and Llanfair PG and north Bangor with the third crossing linking up with the Llanfair bypass.
Agreed; current cycle provision is essentially along the narrow carriageways and can't be pleasant at all - it must be possible to design the new bridge in such a way as to enhance the non motorised provision to create net environmental benefits - it's not like the new bridge is going to attract new traffic - in the grand scheme of things, if I'm travelling via Holyhead I'll build in to my time the fact that there may be a queue at the bridge. It's not a deciding factor in my choice of route. similarly, I'm sure local traffic knows to avoid the couple of peak times a day when the ferries get in and opt to not join the queues.

The issues that the new bridge would solve are journey reliability from both queueing as well as closure during storms, pollution from queueing traffic, motorised user safety (better standard road, better alignment, improvement of junctions), non motorised user safety, and the fact that there isn't an alternative route for large vehicles or freight or rail to Anglesey or the ports in the event of the bridge being closed - or worse, damaged by train fire/HGV collision with parapets or supporting towers or other structural issues.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

c2R wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:53
Rillington wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:13 For me, the better outcome would be after the third crossing is built, the Menai Bridge to be closed to traffic, apart form emergency vehicles, and that bridge used exclusively for pedestrians and cyclists. The Britannia Bridge would become a local access road for the A5 and Llanfair PG and north Bangor with the third crossing linking up with the Llanfair bypass.
Agreed; current cycle provision is essentially along the narrow carriageways and can't be pleasant at all - it must be possible to design the new bridge in such a way as to enhance the non motorised provision to create net environmental benefits - it's not like the new bridge is going to attract new traffic - in the grand scheme of things, if I'm travelling via Holyhead I'll build in to my time the fact that there may be a queue at the bridge. It's not a deciding factor in my choice of route. similarly, I'm sure local traffic knows to avoid the couple of peak times a day when the ferries get in and opt to not join the queues.

The issues that the new bridge would solve are journey reliability from both queueing as well as closure during storms, pollution from queueing traffic, motorised user safety (better standard road, better alignment, improvement of junctions), non motorised user safety, and the fact that there isn't an alternative route for large vehicles or freight or rail to Anglesey or the ports in the event of the bridge being closed - or worse, damaged by train fire/HGV collision with parapets or supporting towers or other structural issues.
There are no plans for a third crossing and the Welsh government is not exactly enthusiastic about roads. In any event they have made it clear that they are CUTTING the roads budget for the next financial year.
There was no additional capital funding in the Autumn Statement for either 2023-24 or 2024-25 – this means the Welsh Government’s overall capital budget will be 8.1% lower in real terms in 2024-25. We have therefore considered our response to the Roads Review in light of the deteriorating fiscal and economic situation.
This is their 'vision' for transport in Wales.
https://www.gov.wales/welsh-government-response-roads-review-html wrote: Contributes to a more equal Wales and to a healthier Wales, that everyone has the confidence to use.
delivers a significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, maintains biodiversity and enhances ecosystem resilience, and reduces waste.

Contributes to our wider economic ambitions, and helps local communities, supports a more sustainable supply chain, uses the latest innovations and addresses transport affordability.

Supports the Welsh language, enables more people to use sustainable transport to get to arts, sport and cultural activities, and protects and enhances the historic environment.
The best you could hope for is a fleet of pedalos

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Yes, I'm aware.

However, any responsible government should be at least doing risk management and disaster/business continuity planning - having a single fixed link for all road and rail freight to Wales's busiest port has always struck me as fairly foolish.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

c2R wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:31 Yes, I'm aware.

However, any responsible government should be at least doing risk management and disaster/business continuity planning - having a single fixed link for all road and rail freight to Wales's busiest port has always struck me as fairly foolish.
Indeed but its the Welsh voters who need convincing.