M2 junction 5 improvements

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Brenley Corner

Re: M2 junction 5 improvements

Post by Brenley Corner »

I increasingly see people who wholly dependent upon their satnavs or mapping apps and won't believe the world around them unless their phone says so. They won't follow signs or directions placed on the ground because their device says otherwise.

This is exactly what is happening here. The contractor built the Oad Street link to the roundabout fairly early on but it was used for southbound A249 as a medium term temporary route whilst the flyover and permanent on-slip were constructed. The southbound A249 (aka Oad Street Link) was recently closed for 5 weeks whilst the new southbound on-slip was connected. The new permanent A249 on-slip has now opened at the end of this 5 week closure, followed a week later by the Oad Street link now 2 way and fulfilling its original design purpose as a local access route to the roundabout

Unfortunately the likes of Google Maps and satnavs simply haven't caught up and significant numbers people are blindly following them onto the now local route and causing chaos - especially HGVs - instead of using their eyes, following the signs, and taking the correct new permanent exit from the roundabout onto the southbound A249. The local unofficial FB group for the project seems packed with "terminally confused" people who ask the same questions time and time again.

This is why I refuse to let navigation software be my master and I'm aware of changes around me rather than wholly relying on technology.
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

I had a go on the new southbound on-slip yesterday (aka the current route for all A249 southbound traffic). It was pretty fun. I then made the decision (mistake?) to turn round at the M20 junction and approach northbound. It was a slog up to the roundabout, but plenty of time to take in the new flyover.

As for the junction itself, it seems some red "Works Access Only" signs have been left up where the road is actually open. They're not in the way, but still misleading (at least for me), and contradict other signs directing traffic down those sections. This surely can't help the confusion from drivers (although blindly following the satnav is definitely still the biggest factor).
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

I'll be passing this way on Tuesday so on my way home, I might take a few trips around the junction to see what they've done.

I don't have a sat-nav and I can read signs, so I should be OK. :-P
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

MotorwayPlannerM21 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 04:19 As for the junction itself, it seems some red "Works Access Only" signs have been left up where the road is actually open.
Having had another look, at least one of the signs I saw was actually for a coned-off area and not the part that's open. Still kind of confusing, though.
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
Darren

Post by Darren »

Gareth Thomas wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 17:53 I'll be passing this way on Tuesday so on my way home, I might take a few trips around the junction to see what they've done.

I don't have a sat-nav and I can read signs, so I should be OK. :-P
I went across the junction on Sunday morning, heading towards Maidstone. Unusually, the four cars in front of me all went up the old turning towards Oad Street... I think people are still on auto-pilot and assuming the old road is still the way to go. Maybe they need a sign which says "No access to A249", although I guess people would see "A249", ignore the rest and still go there.

(I also had someone right up my rear end who didn't appreciate me slowing for the ramp onto the new slip road, which has shredded several tyres according to the local groups... but never mind, I'd rather have an annoyed guy behind me than have to pull over because I've cracked a wheel!)
AnOrdinarySABREUser

Post by AnOrdinarySABREUser »

When the flyover opens, will it run as a temporary D1 while works on it finish, or do we expect it to open in full? IIRC, something similar happened at Chiverton recently, where the layout of the A30 was changed from S2 contraflow to D1 earlier this month to improve safety and facilitate the finishing of works at the flyover.

edit: grammar and syntax
AOSU
Mapping roads and schemes on OpenStreetMap!
AnOrdinarySABREUser

As if I’m a psychic, National Highways said in the local press that they’re aiming to open the flyover to traffic by the mid June, subject to weather conditions.
Kent Online
AOSU
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

AnOrdinarySABREUser wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 16:35 As if I’m a psychic, National Highways said in the local press that they’re aiming to open the flyover to traffic by the mid June, subject to weather conditions.
Kent Online
The article actually says July 🙂.
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
AnOrdinarySABREUser

Brenley Corner wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 20:25
AnOrdinarySABREUser wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 16:35 As if I’m a psychic, National Highways said in the local press that they’re aiming to open the flyover to traffic by the mid June, subject to weather conditions.
Kent Online
The article actually says July 🙂.
Oops! Sorry about that. :(
AOSU
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

AnOrdinarySABREUser wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 13:33 When the flyover opens, will it run as a temporary D1 while works on it finish, or do we expect it to open in full? IIRC, something similar happened at Chiverton recently, where the layout of the A30 was changed from S2 contraflow to D1 earlier this month to improve safety and facilitate the finishing of works at the flyover.

edit: grammar and syntax
I hope not, I can imagine the chaos of traffic sorting itself out heading towards it deciding what lane they need to be in. It's bad enough already where the dedicated slips peel off towards the M2 and cars speed up the inside and cut in last minute when they decide that they want to use the roundabout.
AnOrdinarySABREUser

I drove past the roundabout today and saw that the northbound flyover carriageway had been surfaced over the roundabout looking from the south side. I haven’t looked from the north side but suspect that the flyover will be opened as S2 contraflow while they finish the southbound carriageway.
AOSU
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

I imagine that they are getting the kerblines and base layers down while the weather is good - article on Kent Online which was published a few days ago states they are aiming for a July opening. Construction does seem to be ramping up on the scheme with progress on the tie in to the North of the flyover becoming more evident.