N2 Slane: Downhill climbing lane with traffic lights

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

N2 Slane: Downhill climbing lane with traffic lights

Post by Johnathan404 »

I really like this

The traffic lights are because of the junction, and are tied into another set ahead where the road drops down to S1 for a bridge.

On the other side of the bridge is a sharp bend and a steep climb. I'm guessing that's why this set separates HGVs and cars. Cars get the green light first, then HGVs, then the side-road, which creates a gap so the next wave of cars shouldn't catch up with the HGVs before the road goes back up to WS2.

Clever stuff - has anybody encountered anything similiar?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: N2 Slane: Downhill climbing lane with traffic lights

Post by Owain »

Johnathan404 wrote:I really like this

The traffic lights are because of the junction, and are tied into another set ahead where the road drops down to S1 for a bridge.

On the other side of the bridge is a sharp bend and a steep climb. I'm guessing that's why this set separates HGVs and cars. Cars get the green light first, then HGVs, then the side-road, which creates a gap so the next wave of cars shouldn't catch up with the HGVs before the road goes back up to WS2.

Clever stuff - has anybody encountered anything similiar?

I've driven through there many times. :D

I've never seen anything else like it in either Britain or Ireland. When I first encountered it, I thought it had a distinctly continental feel, but I'm not sure why; I can't think of anything like it on the Continent either! The only thing remotely similar that I can think of, is where cars get separated from trucks for international borders (e.g. Switzerland) or toll booths (e.g. Mont Blanc tunnel).
Last edited by Owain on Mon Oct 10, 2016 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Owain wrote:When I first encountered it, I thought it had a distinctly continental feel, but I'm not sure why; I can't think of anything like it on the Continent either!
Before your edit, I was going to say, does it remind you of catching a ferry? Because when I saw the signs splitting HGVs and cars, I thought I had made a very wrong turn.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Johnathan404 wrote:
Owain wrote:When I first encountered it, I thought it had a distinctly continental feel, but I'm not sure why; I can't think of anything like it on the Continent either!
Before your edit, I was going to say, does it remind you of catching a ferry? Because when I saw the signs splitting HGVs and cars, I thought I had made a very wrong turn.

I've edited to add links showing why it reminds me of border posts and toll booths.

Yes - certainly traffic types are separated for catching the ferry, but that's hardly a 'normal road situation' in the way that the others are.

Viva la Repubblica!
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

I bet that gets interesting when the lights turn green... :twisted: :twisted:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Conekicker wrote:I bet that gets interesting when the lights turn green... :twisted: :twisted:
The cars go first.

Viva la Repubblica!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

As I recall this arrangement was brought about because of a large number of fatal crashes on the Slane bridge. The signalling supposedly stops people racing to the bend and making a royal hash of it.

Surprised it hasn't had a bypass yet.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Bryn666 wrote:As I recall this arrangement was brought about because of a large number of fatal crashes on the Slane bridge. The signalling supposedly stops people racing to the bend and making a royal hash of it.

Surprised it hasn't had a bypass yet.
I think the M1, in combination with the N33, is effectively the bypass. Ditto for the scene of hay bale destruction in Ardee.

I'd imagine this road layout was put there when the N2 was still the main road from Derry and Monaghan to Dublin, but the motorway changed that.

Viva la Repubblica!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Yes and no. The M1 functions as a bypass, but the toll reduces its effectiveness.

Why do you think I was there? I had no business in Slane, but I knew from a map the N2 would be more interesting - and I was right!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Johnathan404 wrote:Yes and no. The M1 functions as a bypass, but the toll reduces its effectiveness.

Why do you think I was there? I had no business in Slane, but I knew from a map the N2 would be more interesting - and I was right!
The N2 is more interesting, which is why I often drove that way. But the M1 route is far quicker, and the toll just a couple of euros at one point by the bridge on the Boyne.

My record from Derry to Dublin was about 2 hrs 30 mins using the N2+M33+M1 (and it would have been even quicker had that nice man from the Garda not stopped me for speeding!). Using the N2 all the way, you'd never manage to do it in below 3 hours unless you were Lewis Hamilton.

I've just taken a look at Derry to Dublin on RAC Routeplanner, and it doesn't recommend the N2 at all south of Ardee.

Viva la Repubblica!
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Owain wrote:
Conekicker wrote:I bet that gets interesting when the lights turn green... :twisted: :twisted:
The cars go first.
So the downhill cars get a green, then it turns to red for them, then the downhill lorries get a green, then red, then the uphill traffic goes kind of thing? Bizarre if that's the case.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Conekicker wrote:
Owain wrote:
The cars go first.
So the downhill cars get a green, then it turns to red for them, then the downhill lorries get a green, then red, then the uphill traffic goes kind of thing? Bizarre if that's the case.
Johnathan explains the full light sequence in the original post. I guess the cars go first because the HGVs take ages to negotiate the narrow S1 bridge.

Incidentally, the view of the river from the bridge is one of the most beautiful inland views I've ever seen in Ireland.

Viva la Repubblica!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

The Toll is most annoying, as there are no video lanes (so you can't use the eflow M50 video account for it) and they don't take credit or debit cards - which means that you literally need cash.... it's frustrating on both sides to have to break a 50 euro note and get a pile of 2 euro coins back in change...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Owain wrote:But the M1 route is far quicker, and the toll just a couple of euros at one point by the bridge on the Boyne.
Definitely if your destination is the Port, but is that really true for western Dublin too?

The signage at Ardee doesn't help, even by Ireland's unclear standards. After following "Dublin N2" for ages, you are suddenly offered "Dublin M1" or "Dublin N2". Ideally this would say "Dublin (via toll road) (M1)" and "Dublin (non-motorway route) N2".
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Johnathan404 wrote:
Owain wrote:But the M1 route is far quicker, and the toll just a couple of euros at one point by the bridge on the Boyne.
Definitely if your destination is the Port, but is that really true for western Dublin too?
For western Dublin you're probably better off crossing over to the M3 (even if the signs don't recommend it). That has two tolls on it, but is a very quick route.

I'm surprised they haven't downgraded the N2 south of Ardee to an R route. It's still a nice drive though (when it's not blocked by a shed load of hay bales).

Viva la Repubblica!
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Owain wrote:
Johnathan404 wrote:
For western Dublin you're probably better off crossing over to the M3 (even if the signs don't recommend it). That has two tolls on it, but is a very quick route.

I'm surprised they haven't downgraded the N2 south of Ardee to an R route. It's still a nice drive though (when it's not blocked by a shed load of hay bales).
Straw bales, not hay bales...
Built for comfort, not speed.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

rhyds wrote:
Straw bales, not hay bales...
Hay, are you pickin' a fight? :D

Viva la Repubblica!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It does rather make a mockery of having the M2 if you get rid of the N2 south of Ardee, but I'm sure the traffic volumes rise rapidly around that point.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Bryn666 wrote:It does rather make a mockery of having the M2 if you get rid of the N2 south of Ardee, but I'm sure the traffic volumes rise rapidly around that point.
Nope. The M2 is almost empty.

What would make more sense is for a future M2 to Derry to come off the M1 at Charleville Bridge and follow the N33-N2 route.

Viva la Repubblica!
bothar

Post by bothar »

This system at Slane works quite well. There had been a number of crashes from HGVs and even buses building up speed and not taking the turn at the bridge.
There were plans for a D2 bypass with a high-level bridge.
http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/Roads ... lications/
this came under fire from lobbyists owing the rich archaeological heritage in the area and was kicked into touch in 2012, when there wasn't any money anyway.

Downgrading the road makes sense at one level, but directing all traffic from the northern part of the country past Dublin airport doesn't make entire sense either, a parallel route provides some redundancy.

The N2 from Slane to the M2 is one remaining traditional main road toward Dublin, as it is largely on its 19th century route, apocryphally made straight to facilitate the future King Edward of England who had a girlfriend in Slane.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368