M621 (was M1) Leeds

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: M621 (was M1) Leeds

Post by c2R »

I can't help thinking the money would be better spent on the M1 between the M62 and M621 - the amount of weaving that occurs here, and queueing on the M1 southbound in lane three during evening peak is a bit of an accident waiting to happen....

Perhaps by separating the M621 and M1 southbound traffic before the merge point into either M1 or M62 and then braiding the separate carriageways to remove the conflicts... although I suspect I've more than blown the budget!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
hat

Post by hat »

what i can never work out is why it has taken so long to put some decent lighting in the tunnels
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

lefthandedspanner wrote: The westbound entry slip at junction 2 is particularly fearsome, as it's completely blind until the last minute and the merge is very short even for a 50 mph limit.
The easiest thing to do there would be to convert the hard shoulder to a weaving lane as far as the J1 exit.
And the westbound entry from junction 4 is possibly the only place on the motorway network where you have to merge twice to stay on the main line, within the space of a mile. The combination of the tight bend on the sliproad and entering in the exit lane for the next junction (all of 300 yards away) makes the entry itself pretty hairy too.
I doubt they'll do anything there. Do we know the scale of budget?
hat wrote:what i can never work out is why it has taken so long to put some decent lighting in the tunnels
Do you mean on the A58(M)? That's Leeds City Council.
jackal

Post by jackal »

wrinkly wrote:
lefthandedspanner wrote:And the westbound entry from junction 4 is possibly the only place on the motorway network where you have to merge twice to stay on the main line, within the space of a mile. The combination of the tight bend on the sliproad and entering in the exit lane for the next junction (all of 300 yards away) makes the entry itself pretty hairy too.
I doubt they'll do anything there. Do we know the scale of budget?
This can be fixed simply and cheaply by reassigning lanes as shown below (red). For bonus points they could put in a physical barrier (blue) to eliminate weaving on the westbound carriageway. The road is D3M, so you could have two lanes to the left of the barrier and one lane plus hardstrip to the right.
M621.jpg
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jackal wrote: This can be fixed simply and cheaply by reassigning lanes as shown below (red). For bonus points they could put in a physical barrier (blue) to eliminate weaving on the westbound carriageway. The road is D3M, so you could have two lanes to the left of the barrier and one lane plus hardstrip to the right.
That's 3 to 2A, not 4 to 3. I don't think you could do the same there to solve the problems between 4 and 3.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Chris5156 wrote:
jackal wrote: This can be fixed simply and cheaply by reassigning lanes as shown below (red). For bonus points they could put in a physical barrier (blue) to eliminate weaving on the westbound carriageway. The road is D3M, so you could have two lanes to the left of the barrier and one lane plus hardstrip to the right.
That's 3 to 2A, not 4 to 3. I don't think you could do the same there to solve the problems between 4 and 3.
I think lefthandedspanner was referring to this section when he said 'merge twice to stay on the main line, within the space of a mile'? Though I certainly could have been clearer that I was referring to 3 to 2A specifically.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I still query the point of 2A. Given it's numbered 2A, I think HE might do too :mrgreen:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jackal wrote:
Chris5156 wrote:That's 3 to 2A, not 4 to 3. I don't think you could do the same there to solve the problems between 4 and 3.
I think lefthandedspanner was referring to this section when he said 'merge twice to stay on the main line, within the space of a mile'? Though I certainly could have been clearer that I was referring to 3 to 2A specifically.
Hmmm. I see what you mean. You do have to merge twice to stay on the mainline from 4 westbound - once to get out of the lane gain that is then dropped at 3, and a second time to move over before the next lane drop at 2A.
Bryn666 wrote:I still query the point of 2A. Given it's numbered 2A, I think HE might do too :mrgreen:
It does seem particularly pointless, especially given the trouble it causes with weaving. You can easily get from the local roads there to the M621 by taking Elland Road towards junction 2, or (given the layout of the junction I think this is its purpose) from Beeston and Hunslet Carr to the M621 or central Leeds by taking Dewsbury Road direct to junction 3 or Tunstall Road to junctions 4 and 5. It must be near the top of the list of junctions on trunk road motorways that could be closed entirely without any noticeable inconvenience to its users.

I'm not at all clear why it was given the number 2A or when. It doesn't appear to have been added later, certainly not later than the present junction numbering scheme circa 1998.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

jackal wrote:
Chris5156 wrote:
It's a very odd setup, but unless it has an obviously detrimental effect I'd not necessarily want to change it.

On the other hand, junction 2 gets massively overloaded for 2-3 hours either side of peak times, so any route which diverts additional traffic from it is very welcome.

(Also, for what it's worth, earlier this year I was hors de combat due to a crippling injury, had to get to and from LGI/St. James's via patient transport, and that junction was completely gridlocked from 2-7 pm. God help anyone in south Leeds who needs an ambulance within an hour of calling 999!)
jackal

Post by jackal »

The brochure has been uploaded ahead of the consultation, which opens on 4 Sep.

They're closing 2A westbound as per Bryn. I see the logic but I think you can achieve the same without closing 2A by putting in the barrier I sketched above. On the whole it's a pretty sensible package of improvements though.

https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.co ... ns-1-to-7/
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Outside lane gain... how very non-standard! Meanwhile they want to get rid of the one at M60 J25.
Bryn

AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Surely making J2 free flowing and adding extra capacity will just mean people will be able to join the queue for the lights at the Armley Gyratory quicker. The traffic already backs up halfway down the Ingram Distributer at peak times, this will probably mean traffic will back up the full length instead.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

AndrewH wrote:Surely making J2 free flowing and adding extra capacity will just mean people will be able to join the queue for the lights at the Armley Gyratory quicker. The traffic already backs up halfway down the Ingram Distributer at peak times, this will probably mean traffic will back up the full length instead.
Yeah but that's LCC's problem, not HE.
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

c2R wrote:I can't help thinking the money would be better spent on the M1 between the M62 and M621 - the amount of weaving that occurs here, and queueing on the M1 southbound in lane three during evening peak is a bit of an accident waiting to happen....

Perhaps by separating the M621 and M1 southbound traffic before the merge point into either M1 or M62 and then braiding the separate carriageways to remove the conflicts... although I suspect I've more than blown the budget!
I agree. M1 j43 needs some money spending on it as it can't cope with the evening rush hour traffic & the large amount of weaving created by it's design.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

wrinkly wrote:
AndrewH wrote:Surely making J2 free flowing and adding extra capacity will just mean people will be able to join the queue for the lights at the Armley Gyratory quicker. The traffic already backs up halfway down the Ingram Distributer at peak times, this will probably mean traffic will back up the full length instead.
Yeah but that's LCC's problem, not HE.
Ideally, the Armley gyratory would allow traffic to flow freely from the A58(M) onto the A643, which would make a continuous dualled route all the way from the A64 to the M621. Even if the money and the will were forthcoming, the railway arches would provide something of an obstacle.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Got a historic question about this road, I have only vague memories of this, but did the ex-M1 section used to have white junction signs instead of blue ones in the 80s? I vaguely remember travelling on that section once in the late 80s as a child going on holiday and being surprised at them, but they would have been gone by 1992 if they ever existed (as we used that section again that year and they were definitely blue by then).

So can anyone remember, did these white signs definitely exist, and if so, what timeframe and what section of road were they used on?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

You are correct - the M1 was an experimental length for that.
Bryn

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

The hardshoulder on the M621 tends to be on the narrow side, with little to no scope for widening in many places. It will be interesting to see how they convert it into an extra running lane. Presumably whatever the overall width of blacktop is will simply be divided up across the required number of lanes, albeit narrow ones.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It'll be a Manchester fix... wait until the DMRB wonks see it and have a fit.
Bryn