A49 - Hereford By-Pass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jhluxton

A49 - Hereford By-Pass

Post by jhluxton »

Several times each year I drive from Merseyside to either South Wales or south west England via the A5 / A 49. Generally it is a much more pleasant run than pounding down the M6/5. However, Hereford appears to be one almost permanent bottleneck north or south bound from near the Racecourse to the Asda junction just across the River Wye bridge.
The location of many large retail stores close to this through route, along with the football ground, also appear to add to the congestion.

Given the amount of traffic - much of it north Wales / south Wales traffic one wonders why it has taken so long to provide Hereford with a by-pass when further north both Oswestry and Shrewsbury have long since been by passed.

On the subject of Oswestry I the present by-pass appears to be reaching maximum capacity and one really wonders if it is time to increase it to a D2 or install alternative overtaking lanes.

John
http://www.jhluxton.com
Transport, Industrial History Photography and more
autismuk

Re: A49 - Hereford By-Pass

Post by autismuk »

I lived near there 30 years ago and it hasn't changed much as far as I can see for the better. From memory the only improvement is in the turning towards Brecon/Kington on the A438 westbound just off the main roundabout which looks to have been widened.

However, there is a point that you have chosen to go that way. Shrewsbury is a bit of a red herring as the bypass was really done with the A5 in mind rather than the A49. (Having said that Leominster is bypassed which was about as bad)
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

jhluxton wrote:On the subject of Oswestry I the present by-pass appears to be reaching maximum capacity and one really wonders if it is time to increase it to a D2 or install alternative overtaking lanes.
Yes, I've driven along there a few times recently and long sections of the bypass have been crawling. Really needs to be a GSJ'd D2 along the entire A5/A483 multiplex. Building the Chirk and Dee viaducts as S2 was very short-sighted.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

I go to Hereford a few times a year on courses that are held at the Three Counties Hotel, which is on the west of the town on the A465. I come into Hereford on the A438 from Brecon and usually use the unclassified road in the link below to avoid going into the centre and back. It is often busy with a queue of cars waiting to pass the narrowest sections, so I'm not alone in using this road as a "bypass". It seems madness that nothing is done to bypass the centre and that traffic uses narrow country lanes as the best alternative!

https://goo.gl/maps/yYhTAZZQWCA2
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

Pretty sure the bypass was binned by New Labour in 1997, possibly even earlier, no current plans to provide one as I think the A49 is de-trunked?
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
owen b

Post by owen b »

guvvaA303 wrote:Pretty sure the bypass was binned by New Labour in 1997, possibly even earlier, no current plans to provide one as I think the A49 is de-trunked?
It's still Highways England responsibility ie. strategic road network, according to their website map, here : https://images.highways.gov.uk.s3.amazon ... rk-map.jpg Image

Edit : better, much more detailed map here : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... nt_Map.pdf
Owen
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I have a newspaper cutting showing the proposed options. I posted it here some time ago.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Shrewsbury and Oswestry are on the main route from London and the Midlands to North Wales, as well as Oswestry being on the north/south route. There is a lot of traffic using the A5 there!

I suspect that a lot less traffic is going past Hereford, and most of the traffic around the town is starting or finishing there or is only making a local journey. The roads around Hereford are not great, and don't really cater for long-distance strategic traffic. It's hard to see any significant traffic flows that would go through Hereford that don't have reasonable alternative routes. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be by-passed, but it is more likely to be a local scheme than a strategic one.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Stevie D wrote:I suspect that a lot less traffic is going past Hereford, and most of the traffic around the town is starting or finishing there or is only making a local journey. The roads around Hereford are not great, and don't really cater for long-distance strategic traffic. It's hard to see any significant traffic flows that would go through Hereford that don't have reasonable alternative routes. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be by-passed, but it is more likely to be a local scheme than a strategic one.
I would have thought there was a pretty pronounced long-distance north-south flow along the A49, and A465 to the south, which can't be avoided without going miles out of your way.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

PeterA5145 wrote:
Stevie D wrote:I suspect that a lot less traffic is going past Hereford, and most of the traffic around the town is starting or finishing there or is only making a local journey. The roads around Hereford are not great, and don't really cater for long-distance strategic traffic. It's hard to see any significant traffic flows that would go through Hereford that don't have reasonable alternative routes. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be by-passed, but it is more likely to be a local scheme than a strategic one.
I would have thought there was a pretty pronounced long-distance north-south flow along the A49, and A465 to the south, which can't be avoided without going miles out of your way.
It is a few years since I've been to Hereford so I can't claim to be an expert, but it does look to me that a western bypass linking the A49 to the north and south of the city would be the most helpful option short of a ring road or three-quarter ring road option. The A417 must take a fair amount of traffic travelling to or from Ross-on-Wye or further east.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

PeterA5145 wrote:
I used to use it frequently when driving from Lancaster to Tutshill. A great alternative to the M6/M5.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Ambosc79

Post by Ambosc79 »

I normally turn off the A49 onto the A417 at Dinmore, follow it through and onto the A4172 to meet the A449 at Preston Cross, then take that road to the A40 at Ross. Nearly always quicker than queuing in Hereford and much quieter roads than the A49.

It adds only about 8 miles going to Monmouth or Newport, for Abergavenny though it would add more. If I do brave Hereford (ie if it's the middle of the night) I never use the signed A4137 route, it's pointless. It's no quicker than just going right down the A49 and along the A40: it comes out on the A49 so far south of Hereford you have to use a good part of the A49 route anyway, and its junction with the A40 is horrible; a nasty merge southbound and leaving northbound in the dark you can't easily tell the A4137 exit from the adjacent layby/minor road. If they really want to cut that corner (in combination with a Hereford bypass...) they ought to improve the A466 instead.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Ambosc79 wrote:... they ought to improve the A466 instead.
A great road! Although the bit to the south of Monmouth is much more fun than the bit to the north. :driving:

Viva la Repubblica!
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I know this route well, on my annual treks down to North Devon. I almost always use the A41/A49/A466 over the M6 and the top half of the M5. It's a really pleasant drive, there's lots to see and generally speaking, journey times are reliable. Back in September I done this drive and did record the footage on my dashcam is anyone is interested.

Personally speaking, I've never found much benefit using the A483/A5 over the A41/A49 if you're heading from Chester/the Wirral area. Sure, the former is straighter and the average speed is usually higher, but it's also slightly longer. Also, the A5 between Oswestry and Shrewsbury eats up some of the time saved by heading directly north/south along the A41/A49. Each to their own though…

As for Hereford itself, I find it's very 'hit and miss'. I find it depends on what time you hit it – the mid-mornings usually being about the best time. Sometimes I have a reasonably clear run (as I did in my dashcam footage) and other times it can be a first/second gear crawl throughout. I don’t really have much problem with it but I do fully understand why a bypass is called for.

A bypass for Hereford was discussed a while ago, Truvelo is correct. From memory, wasn’t the B4399 meant to form part of the bypass? As things stand, it's only real use is to serve the industrial estate. The trail seems to have turned completely cold on this since the road was built, though.
Owain wrote:A great road! Although the bit to the south of Monmouth is much more fun than the bit to the north. :driving:
Both 'halves' of the A466 are very different aren't they?! Personally, I really enjoy using this road. North of Monmouth it cuts through some excellent countryside and can be a real driver's road. It's a pity most of it is in desperate need of resurfacing though… The second south of Monmouth winds through some excellent forest scenery and of course, passes by Tintern Abbey.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

haymansafc wrote:
Owain wrote:A great road! Although the bit to the south of Monmouth is much more fun than the bit to the north. :driving:
Both 'halves' of the A466 are very different aren't they?! Personally, I really enjoy using this road. North of Monmouth it cuts through some excellent countryside and can be a real driver's road. It's a pity most of it is in desperate need of resurfacing though… The second south of Monmouth winds through some excellent forest scenery and of course, passes by Tintern Abbey.
I re-wrote the "Route" section on the Wiki recently, so it is now more detailed. In the process, I discovered that the A466 was originally two different roads; the section north of Monmouth being the B4232. That explains a lot!

Viva la Repubblica!

From the SABRE Wiki: A466 :

The A466 runs from the A49 8 km south of Hereford to the M48 at Chepstow in Monmouthshire, following the Wye valley south of Monmouth and crossing the river into Gloucestershire for some 6 km along the way. The route passes a number of locations of historical interest.

The A466 starts on the A49 a few miles south of Hereford at the village of King's Thorn (of

... Read More