Unnecessarily Accurate Distances on Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Unnecessarily Accurate Distances on Signs

Post by Chris Bertram »

Vierwielen wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 08:58
Octaviadriver wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 22:59 This is a little off topic, but it doesn't seem worth starting a new one for this unnecessarily accurate speeding conviction.

I was researching my family history and searching through newspaper reports for anything mentioning an ancestor's name when I found a report in the West Sussex County Times dated 13 June 1925 that bore his name. It stated that he exceeded a 10mph limit in Crawley by driving at 33 miles 344 yards per hour. 344 yards doesn't quite equate to 0.2 of a mile, as that would be 352 yards. I assume the police would use stopwatches to time the car over a given distance, so I can't see how they could be that accurate, so why didn't they just say he was driving at 33 mph?
I would say that they were monkeys with calculators. Assuming that he was clocked over a 100 metre stretch of road travelling at about 15 m/s (which approximates to 34 mph), it would have taken about 7 seconds to cover the distance. Assuming that their stopwatches worked to 0.1, then ait best they could approximate his speed to the nearest 1.5% or avout 0.5 mph.
Calculators? In 1925? Clive Sinclair must have been older than he looked.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

What was the outcome for driving at over three times the posted limit? :shock:
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 09:26
Octaviadriver wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 22:59 This is a little off topic, but it doesn't seem worth starting a new one for this unnecessarily accurate speeding conviction.

I was researching my family history and searching through newspaper reports for anything mentioning an ancestor's name when I found a report in the West Sussex County Times dated 13 June 1925 that bore his name. It stated that he exceeded a 10mph limit in Crawley by driving at 33 miles 344 yards per hour. 344 yards doesn't quite equate to 0.2 of a mile, as that would be 352 yards. I assume the police would use stopwatches to time the car over a given distance, so I can't see how they could be that accurate, so why didn't they just say he was driving at 33 mph?
I would say that they were monkeys with calculators. Assuming that he was clocked over a 100 metre stretch of road travelling at about 15 m/s (which approximates to 34 mph), it would have taken about 7 seconds to cover the distance. Assuming that their stopwatches worked to 0.1, then ait best they could approximate his speed to the nearest 1.5% or avout 0.5 mph.
There were pre-microprocessor calculators (the old mechanical tills are an example of one with a specific application), presumably the police/courts would've had access to, if only to calculate income from fines :D
jnty

Post by jnty »

wallmeerkat wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 09:48
There were pre-microprocessor calculators (the old mechanical tills are an example of one with a specific application), presumably the police/courts would've had access to, if only to calculate income from fines :D
Would it not be more likely that there would be a pre-computed table for the police to reference over a given distance?

That speed is almost exactly 13sec over 211 yards - is there some obvious distance in Crawley that's 211 yards?! Or perhaps 13.5s over a furlong..?
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

jnty wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:14
wallmeerkat wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 09:48
Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 09:26 Calculators? In 1925? Clive Sinclair must have been older than he looked.
Would it not be more likely that there would be a pre-computed table for the police to reference over a given distance?

That speed is almost exactly 13sec over 211 yards - is there some obvious distance in Crawley that's 211 yards?! Or perhaps 13.5s over a furlong..?
An old fashioned speed camera, just hold the pose :D
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

FosseWay wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 09:41 What was the outcome for driving at over three times the posted limit? :shock:
The outcome was a fine of £3, plus 1s costs (that's 5p in this new Mickey Mouse money for anyone not around in 1971).
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Octaviadriver wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:12
FosseWay wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 09:41 What was the outcome for driving at over three times the posted limit? :shock:
The outcome was a fine of £3, plus 1s costs (that's 5p in this new Mickey Mouse money for anyone not around in 1971).
According to the BoE's inflation calculator, £3 in 1925 is £150 today.

Today, I'd imagine you'd get a bit more of a fine than that for doing, say, 60 in a 20. The fine here is 4000 kr (~£350) for speeds up to 10 km/h over the limit in 30 and 40 km/h limits.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

I actually used mechanical calculators in the 1960's.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Vierwielen wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 21:28
I was using computers in the '60s - and, as an apprentice, was given the job of de-wiring the plug boards from the old mechanical/electrical accounting machines the computers replaced.
Lifelong motorhead
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 21:35
Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 09:26 Calculators? In 1925? Clive Sinclair must have been older than he looked.
I was using computers in the '60s - and, as an apprentice, was given the job of de-wiring the plug boards from the old mechanical/electrical accounting machines the computers replaced.
Not these machines? :laugh:
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Vierwielen wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 21:51
Not quite - IBM S/360 - but I never looked what make the accounting machines were - at college I did programme the 1951 Harwell computer donated to Wolverhampton College of Advanced Technology (now Wolverhampton University) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harwell_computer
Lifelong motorhead
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 21:56
Vierwielen wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 21:51
Not quite - IBM S/360 - but I never looked what make the accounting machines were - at college I did programme the 1951 Harwell computer donated to Wolverhampton College of Advanced Technology (now Wolverhampton University) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harwell_computer
I cut my teeth on an IBM 1130 (similar vintage to the IBM 360), but I think that my ultimate was a Teletype stream editor! Both the input and output "files" were held on paper tape. I would copy the appropriate text from the input tape to the output tape and watch it being typed out on the console. If I wished to delete a character, I would stop the copying, open the tape reader, advance it a character and then restart the copying. If I wish to insert a character, I would stop the read operation and enter the character on the keyboard which would then be transferred to the paper tape before resrting the transfer of information from the input tape. Who says that files have to be on magnetic media?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Oh god, we're into "I remember punched cards" territory now. Actually, I do too, from as late as 1983 at West Midlands County Council where we had ICL 2900 Series kit, some of which ran 1900 series emulation where certain jobs were run using punched cards.

I do vaguely remember paper tape from school, I think our school computer room had a terminal linked to Bristol University which was active at certain times. But this is an awfully long time ago.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.