A358 Taunton to Southfields

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Richardf

Re: A358 Taunton to Southfields

Post by Richardf »

Don't know if anyone has seen this.

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/some ... tion-34622

What do we think?
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
boliston

Post by boliston »

There seems to be a lot of talk in the local press about the a358 scheme and most comments seem to be against it.
People say that it will cause traffic to "bypass taunton" but then these same people moan about there being too much traffic in taunton.
Some people just like to moan about anything and everything
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I still believe upgrading the A303 route through the Blackdowns is still the best. Devon CC is planning a single carriageway upgrade so why not dual it and send traffic the direct way.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
boliston

Post by boliston »

Truvelo wrote:I still believe upgrading the A303 route through the Blackdowns is still the best. Devon CC is planning a single carriageway upgrade so why not dual it and send traffic the direct way.
I don't think the ilminster to honiton (a303/a30) road across the blackdown hills would have enough traffic to warrant a d/c and it's through rolling coutryside so the costs would be astronomic.

The ilminster (a303) to taunton (m5) a358 road is already a busy transport corridor and often comes to a standstill at busy periods so makes more sense to spend money on that route.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Richardf wrote:So what exactly is wrong with the chosen scheme? Not sure about where and how it meets the M5, but otherwise it looks OK to me.

Alright it's been watered down from the scheme that was scrapped a few years ago, but let's face it that was a touch 'gold plated' and over designed for what is needed.

So why the big detour to reach the M5? Won't favour N-S traffic at all.
You've rather answered your own question there :) But aside from the circuituous route, the M5 junction is a two-bridge roundabout designed to be clogged up with development traffic.

There's no reason not to build a freeflowing option - HE shortlisted three freeflowing options, all with higher BCRs than the proposed option, and for as little as £13m more. See the HE plans I posted on page 1.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

If it's physically possible, I will use the old road, especially southbound. It is already camera 30 with lights at the rbt and the Park 'n' Ride so, it would have to be made far worse to be unusable.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

boliston wrote:
Truvelo wrote:I still believe upgrading the A303 route through the Blackdowns is still the best. Devon CC is planning a single carriageway upgrade so why not dual it and send traffic the direct way.
I don't think the ilminster to honiton (a303/a30) road across the blackdown hills would have enough traffic to warrant a d/c and it's through rolling coutryside so the costs would be astronomic.

The ilminster (a303) to taunton (m5) a358 road is already a busy transport corridor and often comes to a standstill at busy periods so makes more sense to spend money on that route.
Just a huge shame that orders were made 6 months too late in Jan 1997 before the contract went out to tender....scrapped by New Labour later that summer.

Would've been open for 15 years now.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

It's a worry HE seem to be doing the same here as Chichester - trying to force a route through effectively without a proper consultations. I wonder if they will throw their toys out of the pram again here eventually?
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Hdeng16 wrote:It's a worry HE seem to be doing the same here as Chichester - trying to force a route through effectively without a proper consultations. I wonder if they will throw their toys out of the pram again here eventually?
Beginning to wonder the same. Push an unpopular route then use that unpopularity to cancel it (again)!

Hope we are wrong.
jackal

Post by jackal »

I don't think it's quite the same situation, as the adjustments people are requesting are far smaller and easier to accommodate within broadly the same scheme and budget.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

So why the change in route near the M5 from the earlier plans do you think? What was wrong with the road meeting the M5 closer to J25 and sticking closer to the current road?

I can see N-S traffic still using the old road through Henlade unless that village is properly bypassed, as it will still be the shorter route going in that direction.

Clearly the new route has been designed to favour E-W traffic and along with the M5 act as a bypass for the Blackdown Hills A303/A30.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Because decision makers have decided they want 'a new access junction for development', rather than a freeflowing strategic connection.
Berk

Post by Berk »

jackal wrote:Because decision makers have decided they want 'a new access junction for development', rather than a freeflowing strategic connection.
Yes, but was that purely the only way to get a new motorway junction built?? Don't get me wrong, I think the new variant route, and junction are the way to go - but the benefits will be massively reduced if it's an at-grade affair.

And realistically speaking, whilst a Blackdowns Bypass would be good to have, it will be achieved much quicker by adapting the motorway, and rerouting the A358.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Three of the four shortlisted junctions had freeflowing interchanges, and they are all well within the scheme budget with higher BCRs than the consultation option. So no, a development-focused junction is not the only way to get the scheme built.
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

Hdeng16 wrote:It's a worry HE seem to be doing the same here as Chichester - trying to force a route through effectively without a proper consultations. I wonder if they will throw their toys out of the pram again here eventually?
Well, this is the direction things are heading with Stonehenge, where the "bypass the whole world heritage site" option was ruled out before consultation even though the consultation document suggested it may be £400m cheaper to build than a tunnel (£1-1.4bn rather than £1.4-1.8bn).
jackal

Post by jackal »

sotonsteve wrote:
Well, this is the direction things are heading with Stonehenge, where the "bypass the whole world heritage site" option was ruled out before consultation even though the consultation document suggested it may be £400m cheaper to build than a tunnel (£1-1.4bn rather than £1.4-1.8bn).
Cheaper and nastier - much more environmentally destructive with much lower journey time improvements.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Richardf

Post by Richardf »

wrinkly wrote:Supplementary consultation:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/furt ... n-somerset
Not surprised. Lots of unanswered questions/issues surrounding that part of the scheme.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Further detail from the scheme page:
We are not proposing any further consultation on the section between West Hatch Lane and Southfields Roundabout at this stage because we have received clear feedback on our proposal from the completed consultation. We will look to make a preferred route announcement for this section of the route later this year subject to a detailed review of all responses.
Clearly WHL to Southfields was sufficiently popular to be part of the preferred route.

It's curious that the scheme is being split into two parts, but I think it's justified in this case. Much better to right what went wrong with the consultation, rather than try to gloss over it or use it as an excuse to bin the whole scheme a la Chichester. The follow up consultation is in such quick order it will probably not delay the scheme at all.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Apparently Somerset CC wanted a consultation on all four shortlisted options. HE seem to have ruled out the most offline option, but as the other options are identical east of West Hatch it could be that they will be in the rerun consultation.

Consulted option:
Option 8 with NFS - Copy.jpg
Other shortlisted options:
Option 8 with J25 - Copy.jpg
Option 2A 2B - Copy.jpg