"Welsh first" bilingual signs in South Wales

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ais523

Re: "Welsh first" bilingual signs in South Wales

Post by ais523 »

Berk wrote:That's strange. Why isn't there a sign for no loading?? An oversight??
I always assumed a no-loading sign was a no-waiting sign rotated 90 degrees (with the two combined to mean no-stopping), but apparently that was just a completely incorrect guess?

I've definitely seen drivers ignore no-loading marks on kerbs before now. I'm not sure if there's that widespread an understanding among drivers about what they're for.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Owain wrote:One thing that I do think is daft is the Welsh spelling 'rygbi'. The Italians and French have also adopted this English word, but see no need to deviate from the 'rugby' spelling.
Phonetics, IIRC 'rugby' would be pronounced 'reegba' according to the rules of Welsh. The phonetics of French leave the sounds similar making it more 'roogbi'.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

ais523 wrote:I always assumed a no-loading sign was a no-waiting sign rotated 90 degrees (with the two combined to mean no-stopping), but apparently that was just a completely incorrect guess?
No, I'm afraid not. While it sounds like a good idea, when you take into account the inability of so many councils to get even easy signs right, the chances of them getting all the 'no waiting' and 'no loading' signs the right way round are pretty slim, and the chances of drivers recognising and remembering the difference are even slimmer!
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Now that the new section of A4232 is open, are the signs on that Welsh-first?
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Viator

Post by Viator »

Owain wrote:One thing that I do think is daft is the Welsh spelling 'rygbi'. The Italians and French have also adopted this English word, but see no need to deviate from the 'rugby' spelling.
Not daft at all. Languages with near-phonemic spelling systems (such as Welsh and Spanish) tend to respell nearly all foreign loanwords; those with more chaotic orthographies (e.g. English and French) usually take a more "what-the-hell, why bother?" approach and borrow the foreign spelling too. Thus, French "football", "scanner" v. Spanish "fútbol" "escáner".

P.S. Some languages even respell proper names (as well as adding gender markers), e.g. Latvian Terēza Meja and Donalds Tramps.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Gareth Thomas wrote:Now that the new section of A4232 is open, are the signs on that Welsh-first?
Ydyn. Yes.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Viator wrote:
Not daft at all. Languages with near-phonemic spelling systems (such as Welsh and Spanish) tend to respell nearly all foreign loanwords; those with more chaotic orthographies (e.g. English and French) usually take a more "what-the-hell, why bother?" approach and borrow the foreign spelling too. Thus, French "football", "scanner" v. Spanish "fútbol" "escáner".

P.S. Some languages even respell proper names (as well as adding gender markers), e.g. Latvian Terēza Meja and Donalds Tramps.
My reasoning - as you probably guessed! - came from Italian, which has very strict rules of pronunciation like Welsh and German, but a relaxed attitude towards the adoption and spelling of foreign words. They're more likely to change the pronunciation than the spelling, which I guess is the opposite of what the Welsh do.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Viator wrote:P.S. Some languages even respell proper names (as well as adding gender markers), e.g. Latvian Terēza Meja and Donalds Tramps.
Czech papers would routinely refer to the Iron Lady as "Thatcherova". But we never do the reverse and remove the gender marker, so the tennis player known to all as Martina remains Navrátilová, not Navrátil. It was a source of amusement to me a few years ago when Helena Suková and Cyril Suk were playing as a mixed doubles team, that the BBC commentary team had to explain to viewers that they were brother and sister "despite having different surnames". No, they had the same surname, but Helena had the feminine suffix.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Owain wrote:They're more likely to change the pronunciation than the spelling, which I guess is the opposite of what the Welsh do.
Welsh can end up changing both. Take the word for hospital, which is ysbyty, an adaptation that is pronounced "uzbutty" to English ears.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Chris Bertram wrote: Take the word for hospital, which is ysbyty, an adaptation that is pronounced "uzbutty" to English ears.
No - "uzbutty" is what a man from the Forest of Dean calls his wife!

My favourite Welsh word is Heddlu, because it looks almost Sardinian.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Owain wrote:My favourite Welsh word is Heddlu, because it looks almost Sardinian.
And yet the Welsh word for a policeman is "plisman" (or "plismon").

rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Owain wrote:My favourite Welsh word is Heddlu, because it looks almost Sardinian.
The formal word is "Heddwas" or "Peace Servant", with "Heddlu" being "Peace Force"
Built for comfort, not speed.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

rhyds wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote:
The formal word is "Heddwas" or "Peace Servant", with "Heddlu" being "Peace Force"
OK, but in everyday use on the streets of Dolgellau?

Viator

Post by Viator »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Owain wrote:They're more likely to change the pronunciation than the spelling, which I guess is the opposite of what the Welsh do.
Welsh can end up changing both. Take the word for hospital, which is ysbyty, an adaptation that is pronounced "uzbutty" to English ears.
Ysbyty, though, comes not from English but direct from the Latin word hospitium.

PPS (pedantic post scriptum): ysbyty is pronounced [əsˈʹbəti] (there is no [z] sound in Welsh).
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

But that is something all languages do, the formal is something dropped to the extent people do forget what the formal is.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris Bertram wrote:
rhyds wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote: And yet the Welsh word for a policeman is "plisman" (or "plismon").
OK, but in everyday use on the streets of Dolgellau?
I wouldn't know, because there hasn't been a heddwas or plismon spotted there for months!
Built for comfort, not speed.
Viator

Post by Viator »

exiled wrote:Welsh has different initials for AM/PM.

It does, but their use in place of a.m./p.m. is, in my view, uncalled for as ante meridiem and post meridiem are Latin, not English. To make matters worse, Welsh has three "native" initialisms:
  • yb : in the morning
    yp : in the afternoon
    yh : in the evening
exiled wrote:the sensible situation would be the 24 hour clock. But this is the UK we are talking about...
:applause: I agree wholeheartedly!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Viator wrote:

It does, but their use in place of a.m./p.m. is, in my view, uncalled for as ante meridiem and post meridiem are Latin, not English. To make matters worse, Welsh has three "native" initialisms:
exiled wrote:the sensible situation would be the 24 hour clock. But this is the UK we are talking about...
Best to consider things like a.m., p.m., WC and so on to be symbols rather than abbreviations, as we do for m, km, l, ml, thus exempting them from any need for "translation".

exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Viator wrote:

Best to consider things like a.m., p.m., WC and so on to be symbols rather than abbreviations, as we do for m, km, l, ml, thus exempting them from any need for "translation".
But for half of that we would need to go metric, seeing as even in English we have no fixed abbreviation for yards, miles etc.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Viator wrote:
Gareth Thomas wrote:Now that the new section of A4232 is open, are the signs on that Welsh-first?
Ydyn. Yes.
Any photos available? It must be odd for drivers to see "City centre" on top and then suddenly "Canol y ddinas" is there.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown