A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

BF2142

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by BF2142 »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 14:25
crowntown100 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 13:36
RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:33 There was a scheme for Logging Moor. I think it was for a housing development. They were going to hamburger the roundabout with the A30 through the middle. All controlled by traffic lights. The A30 was dueled which I presume was to make up for the lights making it stop start.

I've no idea whether that scheme is still going ahead. I remember it seemed very expensive for a junction without grade separation. We had a discussion about it somewhere on here.
It was cancelled as the developer argued that they didn't need to build it for the number of houses they are building. Personally, I'm glad that it didn't go ahead as it seemed a poor solution to the problem, but it doesn't negate the fact the that roundabout is already overloaded most of the year at peak times, even outside of holiday season.
Here's the article in fact Hayle Town Council took Cornwall County Council to the High Court over it and lost. The scheme had £12.9 million investment from Homes England, so the costs must have spiralled as asking a 85 house development to fund any scheme of this size would not meet the tests of reasonability in planning.

However could be a shrewd move by Cornwall Council. Each improvement along the A30 has excecated the queues elsewhere , Goss Moor for example increased queues at Temple eastbound, Temple and Goss Moor increased queues to Carland. Once Carland to Chiverton is completed a 100 mile HQDC will pile first onto a SC road and then three miles later a signalised roundabout. That is going to create a huge queue , which NH may have to sort out sooner rather than later.
If I were Cornwall Council, I’d have already got my wish list into NH:

1/ The four mile gap between Long Rock and St Erth would be a quick win and provide significant relief to four villages.

2/Dual the section from Camborne to Loggans. Another easy, quick win.

That’s 4 miles of new greenfield DC plus 4 miles of widening. Peanuts for NH.

3/ Hayle bypass - short-term, widen where possible online. Develop options for rerouting in the long-term.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

So I've said it before... as a long term resident of West Cornwall... it just won't happen. The corridor where the "Penzance Distributor Road" was built was put in place in the 1930s-60s. The road was then built in 87-89. I know because I lived next to one of the new roundabouts at the time. That corridor (AKA Polmeer Road / Manor Way) sat there unused for 30-60 years. And that's when they planned it!

Penzance moves at an excruciatingly slow speed. To be honest, that's why it has a charm. I would love all of that work to be complete, but the town or local area would be in uproar.
Sam S

Post by Sam S »

I've managed to work out how to upload photos to the Wiki so there are lots of photos from today on there https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... s_Dualling . There doesn't seem to be a way to edit after uploading so "Tolgroggan underbridge" is actually meant to say "Two Burrows underbridge" in the description to use the official name. It is clear from the photos that the reason the EB side is being used for the contraflow is because the south side of Allet lane underbridge is not finished yet, which couldn't be seen from the old A30 as the north side is complete!
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

adam 1972 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 02:53 New video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4MlEpSbLLQ
After a quick look. I notice Carland doesn't look muddy any more. So hopefully they can get on with it.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Yeah I suppose at this time of year, when you get a couple of sunny dry days, the ground dries out fairly quickly as the sun has a lot more power.

Fingers crossed they can really crack on with the remaining work.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Is it me or is Open Street Map incorrectly showing that traffic moves over to the new line at Trevalso, instead of Tollgorran Bridge, further south?

https://osm.org/go/erVpMQ_Y

I mean... Google Maps doesn't show it at all...
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

adam 1972 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 02:53 New video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4MlEpSbLLQ
Excellent video! Really nice production - one of the best I have seen and really clearly shows progress.

I have to say, just west of Carland Cross is still looking like a building site. So much to do there and a matter of weeks to do it.

I did notice that the Westbound offslip can be spotted - you can just about make it out in the dirt!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 17:14 Is it me or is Open Street Map incorrectly showing that traffic moves over to the new line at Trevalso, instead of Tollgorran Bridge, further south?

https://osm.org/go/erVpMQ_Y

I mean... Google Maps doesn't show it at all...
Open streetmap is often a bit wrong.
Trevalso wasn't updated when they switched back to the old A30.
Perhaps now somebody has got the wrong idea about what has happened.
They also don't seem to have updated Marazanvose so far.

Google maps doesn't usually seem to get things right until several weeks after a change.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 17:35 I have to say, just west of Carland Cross is still looking like a building site. So much to do there and a matter of weeks to do it.
I think it's a bit hard to judge, as we can't tell accurately the level of the earthworks. Hence we don't really know whether they are done yet. If they are done, then presumably it's mostly a case of moving some stuff out of the way, and laying the road.

Although at about 9:10, if you look to the west near the trees (a bit in the distance) there is still a bit left where they haven't quite finished a cutting. Although they have removed a lot since the last video, so it probably won't be much longer before this bit is gone.
I did notice that the Westbound offslip can be spotted - you can just about make it out in the dirt!
Yes taking shape. There are also bits of the D2 where you can see light coloured lines, along the sides. Probably drainage Vs.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Just wondering. Has progress slowed a bit on this scheme and if so why? It seems the sister scheme on the A303 has really come on recently and is now catching up or even in danger of overtaking this one!
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

It's all there or there abouts, mostly.

Carland is delayed due to the very wet weather at Christmas. It's looking a lot drier so the thinking is that they might just about pull off some sort of managed opening in June.

There is the odd spot apart from that that needs effort.

I'm calling late June / Early July opening with 50mph limit until at least Sept.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Richardf wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 15:27 Just wondering. Has progress slowed a bit on this scheme and if so why? It seems the sister scheme on the A303 has really come on recently and is now catching up or even in danger of overtaking this one!
On a radio interview a while ago. He explained that most of the soil they have to work with is very clay like. He said if you try to work it when it's wet, it soon becomes unworkable.

Perhaps on the A303 scheme, it is a different type of soil. Also the A303 scheme is not nearly so far west. This scheme is much closer to the Atlantic. So perhaps it has been wetter recently.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

I should be driving through at around 3am next Sunday, going south-west, so hopefully no slower than the old road - the only diversion shown on Google Maps is through Mitchell before reaching Carland Cross.
Lifelong motorhead
IAN

Post by IAN »

Drone footage for the entire length eastbound from Chiverton. Excellent views and it shows very clearly the extent of the tasks still to be completed near Carland, particularly where the new road crosses the closed A30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0IMFjJ ... oningAbout
AKA M5 Driver
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Another cracker of a video. I can see the progress. Lots of tarmac needed now!!
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Thanks for posting that video. As you say, it really shows how much more there is to do at the Carland end. I haven't been very close to this, so I was quite surprised at the lack of progress there considering how long it's been under construction.

Still, it's good to see it's heading in the right direction and it'll be a great road once it's opened.
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

Views from Ennis Lane, taken today.

It almost appears credible that the Caland Cross flyover and section of road to Henver Lane might be open in June, albeit SC.

With such long sections of SC and concrete blocks lining the carriageway, the recovery of vehicles involved in accidents and breakdowns will be difficult and cause long delays. If they have to close parts of the road and divert traffic at the Chybucca interchange, the local roads will also be subject to long delays.

Attachments
Ennis-WB.jpeg
Ennis-EB.jpeg
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

IAN wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 13:53 Drone footage for the entire length eastbound from Chiverton. Excellent views and it shows very clearly the extent of the tasks still to be completed near Carland, particularly where the new road crosses the closed A30.
A few things.

East of Chiverton, there appear to be many rather wide verges. Eg at 2:00. I wondered whether they could be the side of a cutting, but many seem to look flat. I wonder whether there is something deceptive about the camera, that makes them look flatter than they are. Or perhaps there might be some other use, such as a path.
Edit:
Looked at an EB drive though video from March. On this it doesn't seem so wide, but there is still a flat area about a lane width wide. I wonder if it's viability for the maintenance layby just ahead.

11:20 Penny Come Quick.
To the right of the bridge I think there is a tank to act as an attenuation pond. I keep thinking it seems to be in the way of the lane. There is probably something deceptive here. Perhaps the surface of the lane might actually be high enough to go over this tank.

13:02 By the trees approaching Carland.
On a recent video there was quite an large lump of earth here still to be removed. Already they seem to have removed most of it. There is now just a dark area where they haven't got to a level surface yet. Looks like they will finish doing this pretty soon.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Absolutely no real connection - other than the poor ground conditions - but the A39 dual carriageway link is closed eastbound at Fraddon. Potentially until mid May due to a ‘depression’ found. Why can’t they just contraflow it - it’s not exactly busy this time of year