A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardEvans67

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Bomag wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:17
I was near Minions on Caradon Hill. The clouds was thin enough so you could see the eclipse's image on top of the clouds, then it cleared for about 30 seconds in the middle of the eclipse.
I couldn't see anything except for it getting dark very quickly :|.

Although later we did see the Red Arrows display over Fritral beach. That was good, and it was sunny by then.
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

Just seen a post on Facebook indicating that Chiverton to Chybucca is now D1.

Anyone local able to confirm ?
njtruscott

Post by njtruscott »

Driven over that section this evening and it’s running D1 in lane 2 on both sides. Gaps in barrier where the contraflow was in place were being reinstated this evening.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

njtruscott wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 23:11 Driven over that section this evening and it’s running D1 in lane 2 on both sides. Gaps in barrier where the contraflow was in place were being reinstated this evening.
I assume D1 starts west of Chiverton, with no more need for a switchover there. Does it go all the way to Chybucca junction, (including the bit where they were still building the WB carriageway and LAR, a bit west of Chybucca). Also does it now use both slip roads at Chybucca, or does it just use the EB off slip as before. I don't suppose it even goes under the Chybucca bridge to go even further east?

Also, by lane 2, do you mean the nearside or offside lane. (Nearer to the kerb or nearer to the central barrier).
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 07:46Also, by lane 2, do you mean the nearside or offside lane. (Nearer to the kerb or nearer to the central barrier).
Lanes are counted from left to right, as you’d expect, so lane 1 is the furthest left.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 08:31
RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 07:46Also, by lane 2, do you mean the nearside or offside lane. (Nearer to the kerb or nearer to the central barrier).
Lanes are counted from left to right, as you’d expect, so lane 1 is the furthest left.
Although on a widening scheme where there was a variable number of lanes from say 3 to 6, to avoid confusion in setting out from the master alignment usually along one carriageway edge or the centreline, it made sense to call the lane nearest the central reserve "design" lane 1 and count up towards the verge - all of this was "behind the scenes" of course.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 08:43
Chris5156 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 08:31
Although on a widening scheme where there was a variable number of lanes from say 3 to 6, to avoid confusion in setting out from the master alignment usually along one carriageway edge or the centreline, it made sense to call the lane nearest the central reserve "design" lane 1 and count up towards the verge - all of this was "behind the scenes" of course.
There is always a “yes but” in roads :laugh:

Thanks Richard, I never knew that!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 08:31 Lanes are counted from left to right, as you’d expect, so lane 1 is the furthest left.
So lane 2 means next to the central barrier then (Offside).

Thinking about this. I assume after an on slip there would be a short stretch with both lanes open, to give the slip road traffic a chance to merge in. Also presumably they would have to switch to near side in places where they are reinstating the barrier, unless they do all that during closures.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 09:01
Chris5156 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 08:31 Lanes are counted from left to right, as you’d expect, so lane 1 is the furthest left.

Thinking about this. I assume after an on slip there would be a short stretch with both lanes open, to give the slip road traffic a chance to merge in. Also presumably they would have to switch to near side in places where they are reinstating the barrier, unless they do all that during closures.
Nearside and offside confuse me but I can cope with numbers - I have to think harder to visualise when these terms are written than with numbers.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 09:11
Nearside and offside confuse me
They used to confuse me. Now I remember that Nearside is the side nearer the Kerb. So the left side if you are looking forwards.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 09:11
RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 09:01

Nearside and offside confuse me but I can cope with numbers - I have to think harder to visualise when these terms are written than with numbers.
Avoid international car forums then! Engine parts are the worst - in an effort to avoid confusion with LHD/RHD cars nearside/offside is replaced by left/right but that can cause further confusion as it depends whether you're looking forwards or backwards!
Lifelong motorhead
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Of course many non Sabristi just say slow lane and fast lane, wrong but easy to remember....
I'm wondering if the final div via Blackwater on March 23-24 weekend is now cancelled, as the flyover is open.
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

Okay, we've booked our holiday on the North Cornwall coast, but my kids have never been to Land's End or Lizard Point, and they'd like to take a trip there. It's probably a co-incidence that the Flambards Leisure Park in Helston is on the way. :D

So one day we'll drive the A30 from Bodmin until it runs out, which includes this section. Hopefully it'll be all done by then!
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Ritchie333 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:16 Okay, we've booked our holiday on the North Cornwall coast, but my kids have never been to Land's End or Lizard Point, and they'd like to take a trip there. It's probably a co-incidence that the Flambards Leisure Park in Helston is on the way. :D

So one day we'll drive the A30 from Bodmin until it runs out, which includes this section. Hopefully it'll be all done by then!
Enjoy! Land's End and Lizard Point being very different of course. From privately owned (some would say hideously) development to National Trust preservation as mostly unspoilt. The kids will probably prefer the former.

I've got no Cornwall holiday this year but I'm thinking of booking the next one in Sennen. Chiverton to Carland will be completely out of the way and I just have to pursuade eveyone I'm with that "Wouldn't you like to see how this rural kind of twisty road outside Land's End goes all the way to Heathrow with a bit of everything thrown in?" i.e. do the whole A30 in one go. But that probably won't be as bad as the M4/M5 or A303 alternatives in any case. My children will have all left school but my wife works in one. I'll not be free of the holiday traffic ever it seems. Sigh.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Overnight and weekend closures of the A30 next week

There will overnight closures of the A30 between Boxheater and Chiverton from Monday 18 March to Thurday 21 March, from 8pm to 6am each night.

There will then be a weekend closure of the A30 between Boxheater and Chiverton from Friday 22 March at 8pm until Monday 25 March at 6am. Traffic for all closures (including HGVs and high sides vehicles) will be diverted via the B3285 and A3075. You can view the diversion routes here.

For these closures, local access north and south via the B3284 at Chybucca will be maintained throughout. The closures will be focused on surfacing and infrastructure work along the route.

Please plan ahead and allow extra time for your journeys during these closures.

New layout at Carland Cross from late March

As the eastern section progresses, we will soon be moving traffic to a new layout at Carland Cross. A temporary alignment of the A30 will be in place as we continue work on the new junction. You can view a plan of the new layout here.
I expect many will be relieved that this time it's not closing to Scorrier.

The changed layout at Carland is as expected. Encouraging that they say it will be towards the end of March (Rather soon then) :
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 3fe7f8.jpg
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

multiraider2 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:47 I've got no Cornwall holiday this year but I'm thinking of booking the next one in Sennen. Chiverton to Carland will be completely out of the way and I just have to pursuade eveyone I'm with that "Wouldn't you like to see how this rural kind of twisty road outside Land's End goes all the way to Heathrow with a bit of everything thrown in?" i.e. do the whole A30 in one go. But that probably won't be as bad as the M4/M5 or A303 alternatives in any case. My children will have all left school but my wife works in one. I'll not be free of the holiday traffic ever it seems. Sigh.
I've got a once in a lifetime opportunity to take a family holiday at the end of June / start of July, as both my kids will be on study leave (one finishing A-levels, one finishing GCSEs) and we can go just before the regular end of term, where prices are a little bit cheaper and there's a better choice of things.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Ritchie333 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:16Okay, we've booked our holiday on the North Cornwall coast, but my kids have never been to Land's End or Lizard Point, and they'd like to take a trip there.
multiraider2 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:47I've got no Cornwall holiday this year but I'm thinking of booking the next one in Sennen.
I'm sure you already know of it, but I'd definitely recommend a visit to the Porthcurno telegraph museum.

I'm the kind of person that will generally spend an hour or two in a museum... but I was there all day and still hadn't seen everything :D

Anyone would think of telegraphs as obsolete and irrelevant today but it surprised me just how connected the technology of today is to what an almost entirely isolated community was up to a century or two ago.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Keiji wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 14:01 Anyone would think of telegraphs as obsolete and irrelevant today but it surprised me just how connected the technology of today is to what an almost entirely isolated community was up to a century or two ago.
I assume fiber optics work by switching the LED or LASER on and off. So you could perhaps consider them as a very modern telegraphs ;).
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Keiji wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 14:01
I'm sure you already know of it, but I'd definitely recommend a visit to the Porthcurno telegraph museum.

I'm the kind of person that will generally spend an hour or two in a museum... but I was there all day and still hadn't seen everything :D
Yes looks good, but funnily enough, never gone in. Went to Porthcurno for the first time on 29 April 1991 with my (now) wife. Was a rainy day and not a holiday week so we had the enitre place to ourselves. Not a single soul was seen. I don't think the museum was open at that point, or if it was I missed it. But you could in those days still see the telegraph cables at the edge of the beach on their very long trip across the Atlantic. Was staying at Treknow so would have been a fair old trip but would have used the Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross section without issue.

I don't think we went back until the children were born and then much busier and I don't think it would have much interested them. 2nd home ownership in Cornwall having spiralled and the Internet revealling the attractive places to all, meaning you can hardly breathe there now in the summer and with car parks full from early. Another sigh...
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

2000th post on this thread!

For anyone visiting Cornwall, Porthurno and / or Sennen is a must.

Also:
Philps Pasties in Hayle
Or
Anns Pasties in Lizard.

Anything other pasty doesn't count. Do NOT go to Warrens or Rowes. Mass produced. Not good.

Great news on Carland. Can we now see the light at the end of the tunnel?