A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Hdeng16

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by Hdeng16 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 09:35
Hdeng16 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 09:07
As for saying the only capacity improvement will be the completed D2 - again, not true. While the D2 is absolutely a requirement for the full benefit, allowing the A30 to run over the top of Chiverton is a massive capacity upgrade, even if the S2 had remained. That one is immaterial though - we're getting both soon.
I assumed that running over the flyover was because otherwise the congestion would have given them a bad name. Also I wonder whether part of their contract might be to take reasonable steps to mitigate against excessive congestion.
Yeah, its a specific case. I imagine if they find themselves in the position to fully open Chiverton in a safe manner, to then not do so would be madness.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Hdeng16 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:35 Yeah, its a specific case. I imagine if they find themselves in the position to fully open Chiverton in a safe manner, to then not do so would be madness.
I don't quite agree.

I reckon removing all the traffic management and converting it to D2 would not be without cost. It wouldn't be a huge cost, but if Chiverton isn't too bad the way it is, and if they are not being paid extra for this. Then what is their motivation.

I think you may be thinking just in terms of what motorists would want.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

I do wonder if our friends at Costain have a good old chuckle when reading this page. They know exactly what's going on!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Gaz909909 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 14:18 I do wonder if our friends at Costain have a good old chuckle when reading this page. They know exactly what's going on!
I've been biding my time to reply at many points over the past few months, but well said. I think this thread would only have got to page 50 if some of the 'I wonder / they might / they could' had been replaced by 'Let's ask them'.....

Maybe a tad unkind to others posting to this, and half the fun is second guessing, but surely Costain has a PR department?
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

SteveM wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 14:53
Gaz909909 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 14:18 I do wonder if our friends at Costain have a good old chuckle when reading this page. They know exactly what's going on!
I've been biding my time to reply at many points over the past few months, but well said. I think this thread would only have got to page 50 if some of the 'I wonder / they might / they could' had been replaced by 'Let's ask them'.....

Maybe a tad unkind to others posting to this, and half the fun is second guessing, but surely Costain has a PR department?
I appreciate you’ve not really been unkind, but to be fair it’s a discussion forum - and it would be a bit light on discussion had we followed your advice on this and other schemes.

Basically I admit I’m happy speculating - not sure there’s much harm in it in this context at least.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Hdeng16 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 09:07 That isn't true. It may have been the case in the past, but depending on the size of a scheme it definitely happens. The A46 was the first I noticed where sections were open to 70 despite the Newark-Widmerpool upgrade not being fully complete.
The A46 upgrade was huge; it made sense to open that in sections.

Carland-Chiverton is relatively short, and is the section with less traffic on it anyway, since all the Truro traffic from the north and south would already have turned off - unsurprising, as it was left undualled this long in the first place. Opening the Chiverton flyover as D1 was a massive capacity improvement, because suddenly through traffic is no longer impeded. Upping it to D2 while there is still a D1 north of there would perhaps have a tiny benefit: it'd move the queue, which'd mean nothing for through traffic but would allow northbound traffic turning off at Chiverton a slightly quicker journey; meanwhile, upping the speed limit would actually reduce capacity (for the same reason that VSL works).

I don't think the tiny benefit of upping the Chiverton flyover to D2 would be worth the cost of mucking around with the TM only to have to muck around with it again later.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The switch over at Carland happened overnight although queuing traffic back to Summercourt this morning
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 08:48 The switch over at Carland happened overnight although queuing traffic back to Summercourt this morning
I assume that's lots of drivers being a lot slower than usual, as they encounter the new layout for the 1st time.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

HA holding a couple of drop-in sessions for locals in Truro to explain the delay:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-68655963
Sam S

Post by Sam S »

Photo on BBC Cornwall Facebook of the new layout at Carland https://www.facebook.com/share/JaZYG6D ... tid=WC7FNe
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Sam S wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 08:33 Photo on BBC Cornwall Facebook of the new layout at Carland https://www.facebook.com/share/JaZYG6D ... tid=WC7FNe
Good too see that they have also done some surfacing up to the flyover.

So many negative comments on Facebook. I wonder how much of this is real issues, how much is drivers needing time to get used to the new layout, and how much is people just having rants.

There is also a link to a radio interview:
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... tn__=-UK*F

The main points I got were D2 open in June. More work will need to be done after that. Not really anything about how long to reconnect all the local roads.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

One of the Facebook posts reports Highways saying an end of May opening on the new road.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

SteveA30 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:44 One of the Facebook posts reports Highways saying an end of May opening on the new road.
According to Highways in Truro today they now expect it to be open end of May but with work on the old roads continuing for some time.
Well there isn't a lot of difference between the end of May and the start of June. So either could happen.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Sam S wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 08:33 Photo on BBC Cornwall Facebook of the new layout at Carland https://www.facebook.com/share/JaZYG6D ... tid=WC7FNe
RichardEvans67 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:26 So many negative comments on Facebook. I wonder how much of this is real issues, how much is drivers needing time to get used to the new layout, and how much is people just having rants.
I can't quite tell from the photo, but it looks like there's no separate westbound left-turn lane for Truro traffic now.

If that's true, then it would have caused a significant reduction in capacity, similar to what happened when they closed the old Chiverton roundabout without first opening the flyover.
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

Here is a video showing the WB approach to Carland Cross on the tempory A30 section and taking the A39 to Truro.

(Sorry for the poor iPhone quality)

https://youtu.be/y4pDhXTUEu8
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Keiji wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:52
I can't quite tell from the photo, but it looks like there's no separate westbound left-turn lane for Truro traffic now.

If that's true, then it would have caused a significant reduction in capacity, similar to what happened when they closed the old Chiverton roundabout without first opening the flyover.
I'm not sure what you mean. Before all traffic from Turo would have had to give way to the A30 WB at the southern roundabout.

I think the way the layout is now, the Southern roundabout is doing very little, and it's mostly the Nothern roundabout dealing with all the traffic movements, with no free flow lanes.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

RichardLP wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 14:58 Here is a video showing the WB approach to Carland Cross on the tempory A30 section and taking the A39 to Truro.

(Sorry for the poor iPhone quality)

https://youtu.be/y4pDhXTUEu8
The quality isn't an issue, as it still shows what it needs to.
I wonder what caused the queue for the A30 EB just after it left the roundabout. Perhaps drivers a bit apprehensive as they haven't seen the corner before.
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 15:07 The quality isn't an issue, as it still shows what it needs to.
I wonder what caused the queue for the A30 EB just after it left the roundabout. Perhaps drivers a bit apprehensive as they haven't seen the corner before.
Due to the Penycomequick lane closure I have to join the A30 at Carland Cross approaching from the A39. The outside lane now only goes to the services (and a minor road) so both EB and WB A30 traffic use the inside lane. This will be the cause of long delays for WB users as we could previously approach the roundabout on an uncongested inside lane.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 14:59
Keiji wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:52

I'm not sure what you mean. Before all traffic from Turo would have had to give way to the A30 WB at the southern roundabout.

I think the way the layout is now, the Southern roundabout is doing very little, and it's mostly the Nothern roundabout dealing with all the traffic movements, with no free flow lanes.
I'm not the poster but I would guess they meant reduction in capacity re change from the old Carland Cross roundabout before this all started i.e. to Truro from westbound A30? i.e. this lane but if not usual regrets sent.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 15:42
RichardEvans67 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 14:59
I'm not the poster but I would guess they meant reduction in capacity re change from the old Carland Cross roundabout before this all started i.e. to Truro from westbound A30? i.e.
That makes sense. I had miss understood the post, thinking it was talking about traffic form Turo turning west. I can see now it probably means WB A30 traffic turning towards Turo. Yes losing the dedicated left turn lane will probably be an issue, possibly a big issue.