A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardEvans67

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by RichardEvans67 »

The usual week night closures, followed by a weekend closure. It's about every other week now.
There will overnight closures of the A30 between Boxheater and Chiverton from Monday 8 April to Thursday 11 April, from 8pm to 6am each night.

There will then be a weekend closure of the A30 between Boxheater and Chiverton from Friday 12 April at 8pm until Monday 15 April at 6am.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Is there any danger of the main carriageway being open by mid June, while they finish off some of the junctions?

I'm clinging to a faint bit of hope that I'll be able to drive from Exeter to Camborne without leaving a dual carriageway on my next Cornwall visit!
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

NH say end of May / start of June - that was in February.

Looking at recent videos, especially of Carland Cross, I am sceptical, because they showed mud and puddles where there should be at least some resemblance of a road. That being said, if they can get on top of that junction, they should at least have the line open. Whether it is D1 / 50mph etc etc, who knows.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:48 NH say end of May / start of June - that was in February.

Looking at recent videos, especially of Carland Cross, I am sceptical, because they showed mud and puddles where there should be at least some resemblance of a road. That being said, if they can get on top of that junction, they should at least have the line open. Whether it is D1 / 50mph etc etc, who knows.
Thanks, I was thinking along similar lines. Even if it's 'open' I expect there'll be a temporary speed limit which will still lead to snarl ups and delays. Same old, same old.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Paul237 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 Is there any danger of the main carriageway being open by mid June, while they finish off some of the junctions?
Might well happen. I'm not sure whether I can be optimistic enough to say it's likely to happen, as there still seems to be no end to this very wet weather. Especially not in the South West.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 20:57
Paul237 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 Is there any danger of the main carriageway being open by mid June, while they finish off some of the junctions?
Might well happen. I'm not sure whether I can be optimistic enough to say it's likely to happen, as there still seems to be no end to this very wet weather. Especially not in the South West.
Which is why I find it absolutely baffling why they're seemingly so confident it will be open by June. Why is this period of wet weather not delaying things when every other one has? I know most of the major earthworks will have been done now, but looking at the drone footage the new carriageway immediately west of Carland more resembles Glastonbury Festival than a major road 8 weeks or so away from opening. You can pretty much copy and paste the same response for the A361 and A303 schemes. I've not heard any recent updates from the A303 works, but the A361 contractors are also confident of a summer finish, and they're even further behind than the A30.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

DavidBrown wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 21:39
Which is why I find it absolutely baffling why they're seemingly so confident it will be open by June. Why is this period of wet weather not delaying things when every other one has? I know most of the major earthworks will have been done now, but looking at the drone footage the new carriageway immediately west of Carland more resembles Glastonbury Festival than a major road 8 weeks or so away from opening. You can pretty much copy and paste the same response for the A361 and A303 schemes. I've not heard any recent updates from the A303 works, but the A361 contractors are also confident of a summer finish, and they're even further behind than the A30.
Well, I don't know how much they can do to cope with the wet weather. It clearly slows things down, but I don't know whether or not it actually stops things completely. I'm wondering whether they can lay covers on areas, to keep the worst of the rain off. Then wait for a few dry days, to uncover it and do some more work.

The sunshine it getting quite strong now. So perhaps one sunny day can do a lot of drying out.

Also I think they generally estimate dates using average weather for the time of year. So we shall have to wait and see whether another delay gets announced.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Major change during this weekend closure.
New layout and access changes at Chybucca Junction

After the weekend, we will be running traffic on part of the new dual carriageway all the way from Tolgroggan bridge to the Chiverton interchange. Also, several sections of the old A30 will be temporarily closed to through traffic. This is a key part of our preparations to fully open the new A30 dual carriageway between Chiverton and Carland Cross in June.

A key change is that part of the permanent designed layout at Chybucca Junction will in place from Monday.

The new layout at Chybucca will allow drivers to join the A30 onto the westbound carriageway only and leave from the A30 eastbound only.

You can see a plan of the new junction layout here.

Traffic will have to leave the A30 at Carland Cross or at Chiverton and use the local network to access certain intermediate destinations.

The old A30 north of Chuybucca will be temporarily closed from Monday as we prepare it for handover to Cornwall Council as the B3288.

When the new A30 and the old A30 are both open you will have the option of using the old A30 to access the B3284 in all directions at Chybucca.
This will be the new layout at Chybucca:
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 8ac8c8.jpg

This Email arrived when I'm a bit tired. But if I understand it correctly, the new A30 will be in use all the way from Chiverton to Tolgorran bridge on the Zelah bypass. Presumably that means over the new Allet Lane bridge, and the restored Two Burrows bridge. I'm assuming it won't be D2 yet.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Oh wow! It's the beginning of the end!

Looks like it is a contraflow using the eastbound carriageway from Chybucca to Tolgorran.

Any video of this change after the weekend much appreciated!!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Although I haven't figured this part out.
Traffic will have to leave the A30 at Carland Cross or at Chiverton and use the local network to access certain intermediate destinations.
I think the intermediate destinations they talk about are roughly along the old A30 between the Zelah bypass and Chybucca (Or near it). I suppose there are long routes through Turo and under the Two Burrows bridge. Or approaching from the North through a few small lanes. I'm wondering about from the Carland end, leaving at Boxheater using the B3285, Henver Lane and through Zelah.

Another thought. I assume the old A30 would be blocked at Marazanvose by the bridge construction. So the part just west of there will have to be accesses via small lanes, probably north of Allet Lane. Unless they pause the bridge construction, until the connection at Chybucca is re-opened. Or could the current temporary access to the old A30 at Marazanvose still be in use? This would have to be modified slightly, to allow access to both direction on the old A30, but perhaps that's not a big deal, with the very low traffic levels that will use it.

I could easily be wrong, but I'm now thinking as follows:

Contraflow on EB from Chybacca to the current D1 at Marazanvose. I don't see any reason why they might change the Marazanvose section, I think it's D1 for good reasons. So modify the switchover at the western end of the D1 to switching between the new EB contraflow and the D1 section. Also modify the temporary junction there to access both directions of the Old A30. (The change to the switch will also give a little more space to do this). They currently have a temporary central right turn lane here, I see no reason not to keep that. Then using the current D1 past Marazanvose. From there to Tolgorran, they could use either a contraflow or a D1. I'm leaning towards thinking they may as well use D1 for that section.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

I think you're about right on the D1 configuration at Chybucca and Marazanvose, although I think access to old A30 is only available from either Chivvy X, Chybucca or Carnon Cross. That's the way I have read it, but again, could be mistaken.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 07:47 although I think access to old A30 is only available from either Chivvy X, Chybucca or Carnon Cross.
Where is Carnon Cross?
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

Gaz909909 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 07:47 I think access to old A30 is only available from either Chivvy X, Chybucca or Carnon Cross. That's the way I have read it, but again, could be mistaken.
I think that is correct. Given the local road closures and numerous 'No Right Turn' signs on the old A30 to keep traffic flowing, it's as if (to misquote Churchill) an iron curtain has descended between Carland Cross and Chiverton.

As Chybucca is the only straightforward crossing point I think it should be renamed Checkpoint Charlie.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

RichardLP wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 21:16 I think that is correct. Given the local road closures and numerous 'No Right Turn' signs on the old A30 to keep traffic flowing, it's as if (to misquote Churchill) an iron curtain has descended between Carland Cross and Chiverton.
I don't think they will need the No Right Turns at Two Burrows. After this weekend, the A30 mainline should be over the bridge.

Actually, if things will be as I think, that bit of LAR would be very short. To the east it would need to be closed at Tolgorran, as that is where the A30 mainline switches. To the west is would probably be closed at Marazanvose for the bridge construction. In fact I'm not sure east/west would actually go anywhere. So that would probably be closed completely except for the very short bit to link the north/south route together (under Two Burrows Bridge). So keeping the right turn bans would make no sense at all.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Part of the new section of A30 from Zelah to Chybucca has opened to traffic this morning.
Sam S

Post by Sam S »

Drove through today from Chiverton to Boxheater, unfortunately don’t have a GoPro but I’ll try and get out on my bike later in the week to take some photos. Some observations:

The new multiuser bridge at the old Chiverton is now open!

The diagram emailed about Chybucca isn’t quite to scale. The westbound on slip joins where the westbound traffic switches back to lane 2 from the contraflow rather than nearer the bridge as shown. This makes sense as the barrier was already complete where it was shown. The slip has a section of lane 1 to merge with lane 2 which then continues to Chiverton.

The old road is closed at Chybucca but has been left so vehicles can pass with signs saying “access to properties only” rather than blocked off completely. It seems to go as far as the bridge works at Marazanvose. The bridge walls for the LAR are looking almost complete but no beams across this part yet.

Several CCTV masts have appeared along the route such as the new side of Chybucca, near the old Town and County garage (old Maravanvose properties access), on the Zelah bypass and at Travalso.

The old crossovers at Marazanvose and Zelah West are completely gone and the central reservation completed. Hence the traffic is in a contraflow on the EB side from just west of Chybucca all the way to Tolgroggan bridge, and the barrier complete.

Most of the westbound carriageway appears complete as well, aside from works east of Marazanvose on the Zelah bypass, some barrier and earthworks at Allet lane underbridge and other minor works in various locations.

The traffic lights on the LAR at Zelah have been switched off and it looks possible to go North to South again but still using the new staggered junctions. The “old” a30 has been closed on each side of the lights.

Henver lane is open again at the other end of Zelah, but there is a no right turn from the A30 west to Henver lane as no dedicated right turn lane.

Finally there are lots and lots of vehicles and people working on the new road east of Tolgroggan bridge. The new road is very nice and it’s feels like a real downgrade when you are shifted to the old again at Tolgroggan.
Last edited by Sam S on Mon Apr 15, 2024 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

roadphotos wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 08:54 Part of the new section of A30 from Zelah to Chybucca has opened to traffic this morning.
As the email said it would.

Although no web sites seemed to mention it, so I was starting to wonder whether the email was a mistake. Although since it was pretty last minute email, perhaps they weren't sure whether or not they would be ready for this, then made a late decision.

Did you notice which parts are D1 and which parts are contraflow? And on which carriageway?
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Sam S wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 13:38 Drove through today from Chiverton to Boxheater, unfortunately don’t have a GoPro but I’ll try and get out on my bike later in the week to take some photos. Some observations:
Thanks. I'm a bit confused what you mean about the Chybucca WB on slip. Are you saying this slip goes onto the WB carriageway, and along it until the WB traffic switches to join with it?

And it makes sense to allow access to the old A30 at Chybucca for local properties. That means no more need for the temporary junction at Marazanzoze.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Sam S

Post by Sam S »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 13:53
Sam S wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 13:38 Drove through today from Chiverton to Boxheater, unfortunately don’t have a GoPro but I’ll try and get out on my bike later in the week to take some photos. Some observations:
Thanks. I'm a bit confused what you mean about the Chybucca WB on slip. Are you saying this slip goes onto the WB carriageway, and along it until the WB traffic switches to join with it?
Yep that’s correct. Thought I’d point that out because their diagram sent in the email on Friday showed it merging within the contraflow on the EB side.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Sam S wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 13:56
RichardEvans67 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 13:53
Yep that’s correct. Thought I’d point that out because their diagram sent in the email on Friday showed it merging within the contraflow on the EB side.
Well, it's good enough to let motorists know which way to go. So they wouldn't be too worried about the details. Besides they probably wanted the map to fit on one page.