A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paul237

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by Paul237 »

I don't get how the traffic data just stops on that one section of the A30 on Google Maps.

I thought traffic data came from mobile phone signals, so it should show all the traffic, rather than randomly cutting it out.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Paul237 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:16 I don't get how the traffic data just stops on that one section of the A30 on Google Maps.

I thought traffic data came from mobile phone signals, so it should show all the traffic, rather than randomly cutting it out.
Taking an educated guess;

I assume there is some program running in a big computer system somewhere. It seems to take a long time for it to realise when bits of the road network change. So it ends up with sod all traffic on the old route that it knows about. While on the new route, it hasn't yet worked out that this is a live route, so doesn't put any traffic data on it.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

It works by using a combination of historical data (cars always went here at this time on this data) and live data (cars driving through right now) coming from Android phones in the area. Because GPS is not 100% accurate, it takes a while before Google Cloud calls that a road has permanently moved. I imagine it uses some sort of statistical output / algo to call when the change is made. It would then aggregate that output and voila. I think that is why it gets more accurate over time. I have no doubt that some human intervention is needed (the stupid names like Rte A30 etc makes me think they are not UK based). Google own Waze too, and no doubt have other sources so they are not short of data to use. It's the accuracy they are most interested in and a high quality data set with lots of previous insight takes time to build. It's fascinating stuff. Lots of resource online to find out more.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Same with Sparkford. New bit of road at the Hazelgrove end shown, traffic still on the old road.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.2979579 ... ?entry=ttu

Google Maps seems to have updated now.
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

I'm wondering if the existing Chiverton service area might move and expand into a more significant service area with a hotel etc when the road is open? Cornwall Services is 20 miles east, Hayle Services 13 miles west - an expanded Chiverton would fill the gap nicely.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

BF2142 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 08:42 I'm wondering if the existing Chiverton service area might move and expand into a more significant service area with a hotel etc when the road is open? Cornwall Services is 20 miles east, Hayle Services 13 miles west - an expanded Chiverton would fill the gap nicely.
I did wonder the same. The Starbucks presumably got a lot of passing traffic on the Chiverton roundabout, but now much of the A30 traffic will go sailing past. So it's either expand or close.
A303Chris
Gallery Curator

Post by A303Chris »

Paul237 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:23
BF2142 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 08:42 I'm wondering if the existing Chiverton service area might move and expand into a more significant service area with a hotel etc when the road is open? Cornwall Services is 20 miles east, Hayle Services 13 miles west - an expanded Chiverton would fill the gap nicely.
I did wonder the same. The Starbucks presumably got a lot of passing traffic on the Chiverton roundabout, but now much of the A30 traffic will go sailing past. So it's either expand or close.
Unless it is signed as a services from the new road, the last time I went through the final signs were not up. This is signed as a services off the westbound A30 before Oakhampton and it just a petrol station with a Budgens, a self service Costa and small take away restaurant.

Considering Chiverton has a petrol station, starbucks and even a Rowes bakery it could also be signed as a service area.

IIFC requirements for services areas from all purpose trunk roads aren't as restrictive as off motorways.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Remember that the two BP garages closed in Victoria when the Gossmoor bypass opened. Then they built Cornwall Services which a vast improvement. To your point, there is absolutely an opportunity to do this at new Chivvy X
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

My 1st though is that if it hasn't already been done, then perhaps there isn't enough trade to make it worth doing. So why would a better road change that?
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

They will be doing good business this weekend as the old road is in use until early Monday morning. Can't be many more closures planned at the west end.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 22:24
My 1st though is that if it hasn't already been done, then perhaps there isn't enough trade to make it worth doing. So why would a better road change that?
Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. It's probably change or close now in this location. Most likely close, I would have thought, but you never know.
Also Ian.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

A303Chris wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 13:38
Paul237 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:23
Unless it is signed as a services from the new road, the last time I went through the final signs were not up. This is signed as a services off the westbound A30 before Oakhampton and it just a petrol station with a Budgens, a self service Costa and small take away restaurant.

Considering Chiverton has a petrol station, starbucks and even a Rowes bakery it could also be signed as a service area.

IIFC requirements for services areas from all purpose trunk roads aren't as restrictive as off motorways.
I assume that's the old A30. The car park looks pretty busy when, like you say, it hasn't got that many offerings.

Time will tell!
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

multiraider2 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 09:36
RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 22:24
Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. It's probably change or close now in this location. Most likely close, I would have thought, but you never know.
I think it will remain or be rebuilt on the new junction. My thinking is that if it closes there won't be a petrol station between Carland Cross and Hayle on the main line - a distance of 22 miles. I feel like the current petrol stations (unless very well signposted) are doomed.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

If they want to move the Chiverton service station, a question is where to. The existing site has the disadvantage of now being a significant distance from the main roundabout.

Perhaps next to the old A30 (which will be the B3288 I think). Either in the fields to the south of it, or east of Trevisome Park. Alternatively somewhere next to the A3075.

I think not next to the A390 link, as that might disrupt a busy road, and the wind turbine might be a complication. Also perhaps not next to the B3277 link, as there would be too many trees affected.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckr58rz175go
Overnight closures are also planned from 3-6 June between Chiverton and Mitchell.
I was skimming through this page to see if it says anything new. Well a weekend closure as far as Mitchell is something. I don't see why they would close that for a whole weekend unless it involves a big change at Carland!! (Although I could be barking up the wrong tree).

Edit:
My mistake, this isn't a weekend. It is overnight closures. Although that could still mean a big change.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

I'm wondering if the main carriageway will be open (presumably with speed restrictions) after the June closures.

It feels like wishful thinking, but the recent good weather combined with weekend closures into May could mean it's just about possible. Maybe?
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Paul237 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 I'm wondering if the main carriageway will be open (presumably with speed restrictions) after the June closures.

It feels like wishful thinking, but the recent good weather combined with weekend closures into May could mean it's just about possible. Maybe?
Roughly what I was thinking. But we have a few too many unknowns at the moment.
A303Chris
Gallery Curator

Post by A303Chris »

Here is the official National Highways press release on the closures over the next three weeks. Interesting that Cornwall Council also have overnight closures on the A390 from next Monday 20th May.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Thanks for the link. I notice they use the phrase "in preparation for the opening of the new A30 in June", but no date.

So it could be post the 6 June weekend closure, or late June.