A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardEvans67

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 20:00 Yep I do recall that now.

Did you notice at Chybucca there is a white line down the middle of the eastbound carriageway, as though they are going to extend the D1 to the Marazanvose section??
The only such part I can see on the video is from just west of the bridge, to the end of the slip road. I assume that is where you mean, unless you have a better screen than me and can spot things I can't.

It looks like a solid white line, but I don't think it is. They usually surface one lane at a time. So there is a join in the middle. On many roads you can see that something else (probably tar) is used where surfaces meet, presumably to make a smooth join. I'm guessing they may have done this very recently and perhaps it's still rather reflective. So it looks like a white line. If you look nearer the end of the slip road (a bit before the 30 sign, about where the silver 'Skyland' transit is), it doesn't look nearly so much like a white line.

It might also be where one side it at a different stage in surfacing from the other, so you may be looking at a slight change in levels,
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Interesting... We will see I guess!

Cornwall live now reporting the upcoming change at Carland Cross:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... n=sharebar
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Thanks for all the positive comments about the new camera angle...I think its better too :D and another benefit is the camera does not have the windscreen to distort the view...
#
Here is Eastbound, only from Chiverton to Carland roundabouts....TURN sound OFF! I forgot to edit out the wind noise. https://youtu.be/bFvYBwE7nrc
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Just seen this on Facebook, if any locals are interested.

Save the date!
Next week members of our A30 Carland to Chiverton project team will be out and about in the local community to share the latest scheme updates and answer any questions you may have about our work.
Come and join us at Lemon Quay, Truro:
• Tuesday 26 March - 1pm to 7pm
• Wednesday 27 March - 8am to 2pm
For further information, you can:
• visit our scheme webpage: https://nationalhighways.co.uk/.../a30-chiverton-to.../
• Email us: A30ChivertontoCarlandCross@highwaysengland.co.uk
• Call us: 0300 123 5000 (available 24 hours a day)
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 08:38 Cornwall live now reporting the upcoming change at Carland Cross:
I think that's one of the things I read yesterday. A bit confusing that many pages seem to link this change with the closure this weekend. A closure that doesn't seem to include Carland ??
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

AAndy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 08:53 Thanks for all the positive comments about the new camera angle...I think its better too :D and another benefit is the camera does not have the windscreen to distort the view...
I could tell it looked better, and I seemed to be able to see more, but I wasn't sure exactly why.
Here is Eastbound, only from Chiverton to Carland roundabouts....TURN sound OFF! I forgot to edit out the wind noise. https://youtu.be/bFvYBwE7nrc
Thanks, I'll take a look.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:55
Gaz909909 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 08:38 Cornwall live now reporting the upcoming change at Carland Cross:
I think that's one of the things I read yesterday. A bit confusing that many pages seem to link this change with the closure this weekend. A closure that doesn't seem to include Carland ??
matrix signs today on the A30 at camborne show it shut between 22nd and 25th chiv to carl
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

AAndy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 08:53 Here is Eastbound, only from Chiverton to Carland roundabouts.
I hadn't noticed before that a lot of the new St Agnes link road is on an embankment.

I also noticed on the Northern Carland roundabout there is almost nothing blocking the entrance/exit to the new slip roads. Just a sign saying Works Access and a few cones. I assume getting ready for the switch.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

AAndy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:59 matrix signs today on the A30 at camborne show it shut between 22nd and 25th chiv to carl
All just to confuse everybody :|. The Email said Boxheater to Chiverton. :confused:

Edit:
Even the BBC say it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-68636836
The road is closed between Chiverton and Boxheater until 06:00 GMT on Monday with traffic diversions in place.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Thanks for all the updates in this thread. I've got a Cornwall trip planned in mid June and I'd been hopeful of the works being finished by then, but now that's looking unlikely. Oh dear.

As we're not going in the school holidays, I'm hoping it won't be too bad...
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Paul237 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 14:26 Thanks for all the updates in this thread. I've got a Cornwall trip planned in mid June and I'd been hopeful of the works being finished by then, but now that's looking unlikely. Oh dear.

At least the Chiverton flyover should make that bit a lot better. Unless your trip coincides with a closure.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

OpenStreetMap already shows the change at Carland.
Although I assume it's not open yet. Or it it?
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/50.3468/-5.0248

Actually I would think the contraflow is probably a fair bit longer than this. (At the eastern end). To keep live traffic away from bits they need to construct.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 15:35
Paul237 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 14:26 Thanks for all the updates in this thread. I've got a Cornwall trip planned in mid June and I'd been hopeful of the works being finished by then, but now that's looking unlikely. Oh dear.

At least the Chiverton flyover should make that bit a lot better. Unless your trip coincides with a closure.
I wonder if Chiv will be fully open D2 by June, with the lane closures beginning east.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

My hunch is that they will open D2 to Chybucca first... maybe even pretty soon - the lines are painted on the road already in most parts. It looks pretty much done to be honest, apart from signage, which is strangely completely missing.

Then, if they are feeling crazy... they could pretty much open to Marazanvose after that and move to D1 using the current configuration. Basically opening more from West to East gradually, if they wanted to.

Alternatively, they may go big bang... And that's cool too.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 23:00 My hunch is that they will open D2 to Chybucca first...
I'd like it if they did that. However at the end of the day, they are contractors looking to make as much profit as they can. So unless there is something in their contract that pays more to do that, then why would they. What I think they will probably do, is that at some point they will have a final closure, to reconfigure it all as 70mph D2.

My thinking is what sort of contract would National Highways have drawn up. For them the main aim would be to get the economic benefits of the new D2 as soon as reasonably possible. For that they would be most interested in getting the full 70 mph D2 as early as reasonable, withing cost limits. So the contract probably encourages that. So from Constain's point of view, their main aim would be the whole D2 as soon as they reasonably can. Opening bits would be more work, that they probably wouldn't get paid any extra for.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Not only that, but also, as far as capacity is concerned, the big improvement will be when there are 2 live lanes in each direction for the entire stretch - even if the speed limit is still 40.

Raising the speed limit to 70 on any part of the project "because it's finished" or "because they can" while a different part is still coned down to a single lane just won't happen, because it won't increase capacity at all, and in fact would only hamper safety especially if there's still some works alongside whatever part they just upped to 70.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

When Temple opened they pinned all the traffic to 50 for quite some time, while the street furniture and planting was finished.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Keiji wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 07:59 Not only that, but also, as far as capacity is concerned, the big improvement will be when there are 2 live lanes in each direction for the entire stretch - even if the speed limit is still 40.

Raising the speed limit to 70 on any part of the project "because it's finished" or "because they can" while a different part is still coned down to a single lane just won't happen, because it won't increase capacity at all, and in fact would only hamper safety especially if there's still some works alongside whatever part they just upped to 70.
That isn't true. It may have been the case in the past, but depending on the size of a scheme it definitely happens. The A46 was the first I noticed where sections were open to 70 despite the Newark-Widmerpool upgrade not being fully complete.

I think it's likely (if complete) that Chiverton will completely open to traffic and the D2 extended to Chybucca - possibly with a temporary lane gain/loss at the junction.

As for saying the only capacity improvement will be the completed D2 - again, not true. While the D2 is absolutely a requirement for the full benefit, allowing the A30 to run over the top of Chiverton is a massive capacity upgrade, even if the S2 had remained. That one is immaterial though - we're getting both soon.
Gaz909909 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 08:33 When Temple opened they pinned all the traffic to 50 for quite some time, while the street furniture and planting was finished.
True - that was a council scheme primarily though. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 08:33 When Temple opened they pinned all the traffic to 50 for quite some time, while the street furniture and planting was finished.
I'll take your word for that. I thought I'd read that it opened at 70. I was a bit surprised as I think they left the gaps in the crash barrier until after the peak season. I thought 70 seemed potentially dangerous for bits without a complete crash barrier. So I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually do that.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Hdeng16 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 09:07
As for saying the only capacity improvement will be the completed D2 - again, not true. While the D2 is absolutely a requirement for the full benefit, allowing the A30 to run over the top of Chiverton is a massive capacity upgrade, even if the S2 had remained. That one is immaterial though - we're getting both soon.
I assumed that running over the flyover was because otherwise the congestion would have given them a bad name. Also I wonder whether part of their contract might be to take reasonable steps to mitigate against excessive congestion.