The Great C Road hunt!

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by ravenbluemoon »

I've decided to turn my attention to the C Roads of York as it's a familiar place to me, and there already seems to be a list from an FOI request on the Wiki. I've set up a page with the list on it, copying another page as a template. I presume the list self-populates as I create road pages?

Feel free to change something if it isn't to standard or if I've broken something! :D

EDIT: I've started on a couple of roads, will try and flesh them out with photos etc. later. Probably need a quick look over by an expert to make sure they're correct. Seems like the list above self-populates, but I'm not sure if I need to create a category?
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 23:42 I've decided to turn my attention to the C Roads of York as it's a familiar place to me, and there already seems to be a list from an FOI request on the Wiki. I've set up a page with the list on it, copying another page as a template. I presume the list self-populates as I create road pages?

Feel free to change something if it isn't to standard or if I've broken something! :D

EDIT: I've started on a couple of roads, will try and flesh them out with photos etc. later. Probably need a quick look over by an expert to make sure they're correct. Seems like the list above self-populates, but I'm not sure if I need to create a category?
Hello,
You're nearly there with it...
I've created a template page for the bottom navbox, which currently doesn't quite populate automatically - each entry needs adding to this page: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... _III_Roads

The page also should a category for itself, just click on the redlink and type __HIDDENCAT__

Sometimes you might need to create a disambiguation page, e.g. https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... title=C285

These are autogenerated also and so you can copy/paste what is on the one above there. Note that if your page doesn't appear immediately on it (they're cached to save processing) you can force an update by editing and saving with no changes. But this shouldn't be necessary as it should just update by itself after a while.
Cheers
Chris
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Ah excellent, thanks for that. I had a feeling that some "magic" happened in the background at times, but I'll use what you've done as a bit of a template going forwards :)

Must admit, it's quite interesting deciphering where all these C roads are. I didn't realise that I grew up on the C413! :D
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Taking a look at some other counties, and I noticed that the link in the FOI response from Leicestershire Council is broken - so I've put another FOI request to see if I can get another list off them. I've also put another request into Nottinghamshire (my home county) and East Yorkshire (out of curiosity given some of my North Yorks road cross the border, and they have an excellent, though sadly unnumbered map on their response). I've emphasised that I'd like information on the numbering this time, so we shall see if they come up with the goods.

No rush as I've got loads still to do in Yorkshire!
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Just looking through my emails as I've got a little bit of spare time waiting for a flight, and the three councils I sent a FOI request to have responded. I can't look at them fully right now, but Notts CC have given me a fully list of Class III roads, with numbers!

Leicestershire have given me a spreadsheet of roads, but can't tell whether there's any numbers - I thought I had an app to view spreadsheets on my phone but apparently not.

East Yorkshire is the curious one. They had a map already available showing all the C roads in the county. However they have refused my request... BUT - it is on the grounds that they are updating their maps to make the roads clickable, this will show their numbers.

I'll update the situation when I'm home, it looks like I might have the Notts roads to keep me occupied for a bit anyway!

It could be that it is worth sending a fresh FOI to some of the councils that didn't send us all the info the first time round. The originals are quite old now anyway.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

I've amended the page on the C Road Hunt in the Wiki - taking a look at what I got, both Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire provided me with their Class III roads and their numbers. East Yorkshire will be publishing an interactive highways map in approximately 4 months, and the numbers will be on that. I might submit a few more requests to see if I can glean a few more lists. Is there any reason why the Welsh authorities weren't asked in the original requests?

Having a look at the Notts list today, and will start tracing, being a curious local. Surprisingly few C roads in Mansfield in comparison to the rest of the county. Also I noticed that they think they have a B604 in Worksop... it's the eastern half of the B6041 really!
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

Euan

Post by Euan »

Leicestershire is interesting with its system of 4-digit C road numbers which appear to be consistent with the system within Leicester itself. Skimming through the list, would it appear that the numbering is spiralled in a way that the further out the route is from Leicester the higher its leading digit?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Euan wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 08:00 Leicestershire is interesting with its system of 4-digit C road numbers which appear to be consistent with the system within Leicester itself. Skimming through the list, would it appear that the numbering is spiralled in a way that the further out the route is from Leicester the higher its leading digit?
There seems to be some kind of logic going on, as you say they seem to spiral around, but then you'll get the 73xx series mixed in with the 83xx series, for example... almost as if they miss a few on the first rotation. You might be able to suss it out if you take a look at the traces map I created: Leicestershire_Council_(Class_III_roads)

I suspect Rutland will be the 85xx to 90xx series if we ever discover their numbers. Depends on if the system was devised when it was in Leics. Leicester City seems to have the 1xxx numbers, but their system is weird. Each time a road changes name they dish out another number for it.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

From the SABRE Wiki: Leicestershire Council (Class III roads) :

[Leicestershire Council]] uses the C classification for its Class III Roads. The council maintains a total network of 1295km/804 miles of Class III roads.

Leicestershire uses a zone system for their Class III roads in a similar way to how the A and B roads of the country are numbered. All routes have four digit numbers, and take on the following format:

• First Digit: From 3 - 9 - numbers increase the
... Read More