A465 Heads Of The Valleys Dualling; Dowlais Top To Hirwaun

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: A465 Heads Of The Valleys Dualling; Dowlais Top To Hirwaun

Post by Big L »

I came over the hill from Brecon via Penderyn a couple of weeks ago, heading towards Swansea. The junction with the H-o-t-V is much more 3-dimensional than it was last time I saw it.
BD81AF89-F376-4FC0-972F-F64155C35F8F.jpeg
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Big L wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 13:19 I came over the hill from Brecon via Penderyn a couple of weeks ago, heading towards Swansea. The junction with the H-o-t-V is much more 3-dimensional than it was last time I saw it.
That one and several other GSJ's have too, including the ASDA one at Dowlais Top.

July 23 update Video here: https://youtu.be/vShVZ2697ZY

A lot of progress since my last video. West and east embankments nearly completed at Dowlais with final Tarmac on the West side. Cefn Coed span #1 of 3 joined up. Crem gsj slip and roundabout driven on.
A few pics taken from the above video:
Attachments
a465 cc e.jpg
a465 cc d.jpg
a465 cc a.jpg
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

a couple more screen shots.
Attachments
a264 cc c.jpg
a465 cc b.jpg
Ishtaria1980

Post by Ishtaria1980 »

AAndy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 08:39 a couple more screen shots.
Bloody love this. They certainly know how to build decent new roads over in Wales I'll give them that. Was over in South Wales for the first time in years the other day, on the A472 that I often used to take. I love how they can shoehorn in dual carriageways wherever the hell they want, even if the capacity for it isn't strictly necessary.
coneman

Post by coneman »

Excellent pics there Andy and regards the second pic that scaffolding is more akin to a work of art as opposed to a safe working platform for the workforce.
Many a guid tune played on an auld fiddle.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Ishtaria1980 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 14:43
Bloody love this. They certainly know how to build decent new roads over in Wales I'll give them that. Was over in South Wales for the first time in years the other day, on the A472 that I often used to take. I love how they can shoehorn in dual carriageways wherever the hell they want, even if the capacity for it isn't strictly necessary.
Agreed, although they obviously don't like building them much anymore. West Wales in particular is full of gems like the A477 and I can't wait to see their latest take on S2+1 when the Llandewi Felfri bypass opens.

The progress on the 465 now is astonishing compared to that on the Brynmawr section, unsurprisingly given the lack of a gorge to go through - but after years of glacial progress, it's still a culture shock!
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Eastbound video here: https://youtu.be/zoHD0kvbi5k

The excavations to realign the A470 North of Cefn Coed are in full swing with massive embankments and lowering of the existing carriageway so I've included a drive to the NSL out of the roadworks northbound on the A470 and back in.

Also worth a look on this video , during the queue for the dowlais top roundabout the rerouting onto the new carriageway for a few 100m with the tarmac being layed as I pass on the embankment of the flyover of the GSJ.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Just a few more stills from last week,

A470 embankment and the top of the viaduct at cefn coed
Attachments
a470 cutting.jpg
via.jpg
via b.jpg
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

A lot has progressed in 2 weeks so worth another video.

The bridge spans ready on the new carriageway for the Dowlais GSJ . Cefn coed y cymmer A4054 bridge in situ and a lot more digging underneath. Hirwaun GSJ bridge spans now in-situ.

+ cefn coed viaduct , 1 span now joining land at both ends.

see: https://youtu.be/ahx3dlLAIcY
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

some stills:
Attachments
s a465a.jpg
s a465b.jpg
s a465c.jpg
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Here's a cobbled together side view video update, showing, Dowlais Top GSJ and awaiting bridge spans, around Cefn Coed y Cymmer, Nant Melon and nearby railway & river crossing, Aberdare bridges yet to be excavated & Hirwaun GSJ bridge.

video: https://youtu.be/RFHZYmXEvE0
Attachments
a465 cefn coed.jpg
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

I've put a new video up heading East, approaching via the A465 so the new Hirwaun GSJ carriageway alignment is clearly visible at the start. see https://youtu.be/tPzD-2HiIHE
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Has the Aberdare turn really been closed for more than a year?
That must affect a lot of people.
We visited a friend there a week ago.
Bit of a fiddle getting to her and no advance warning of alternatives.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

B1040 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 09:12 Has the Aberdare turn really been closed for more than a year?
That must affect a lot of people.
We visited a friend there a week ago.
Bit of a fiddle getting to her and no advance warning of alternatives.
It has been closed a few times for a day or so at a time but it is there on the video , its off the mini roundabout at 3 minutes & 9 secs in.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

The new A465 is coming on and will be one of the best roads in Britain when finished, from A40 to M4. Great views opened up, unless they plant so many trees that the views disappear eventually. Will need some central services though as they are only at both ends, Abergavenny and Glyn Neath. The isolated garage at Dowlais Top will need to be expanded.
Attachments
New Hirwaun GSJ at the end of the existing D2, heading east.
New Hirwaun GSJ at the end of the existing D2, heading east.
Towards Merthyr
Towards Merthyr
Wiggly S2 near Merthyr
Wiggly S2 near Merthyr
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

More A465 construction, heading east. We kept leaving and rejoining the old S2/1. At the moment, there seem to be 14 rbts e/bnd and 16 w/bnd, from Hirwaun to Dowlais Top. Still, no pain no gain as they say....
Attachments
New beams or walls waiting to go in...
New beams or walls waiting to go in...
Merthyr
Merthyr
Crossing the A470
Crossing the A470
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

So to the newest open section from Brynmawr to Gilwern. Later, M49 blanked off motorway signs, a rare sight. No work going on. When are the developers going to honour their part of the deal?
Attachments
Near the top.
Near the top.
Towards Gilwern
Towards Gilwern
M49 ghost junction
M49 ghost junction
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Last I heard, South Gloucestershire County Council intends to issue a CPO as the land owners want nothing to do with the road. I assume the narrow strip of land was being used as some kind of land bank, as they are rife in the Avon valley for some reason and the combined councils appear to be in somewhat of a crackdown with Bristol CPOing lots of run-down land banks for the public good. Rare to see.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

DB617 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 18:15 Last I heard, South Gloucestershire County Council intends to issue a CPO as the land owners want nothing to do with the road. I assume the narrow strip of land was being used as some kind of land bank, as they are rife in the Avon valley for some reason and the combined councils appear to be in somewhat of a crackdown with Bristol CPOing lots of run-down land banks for the public good. Rare to see.
Wrong thread?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 20:15 The new A465 is coming on and will be one of the best roads in Britain when finished, from A40 to M4. Great views opened up, unless they plant so many trees that the views disappear eventually. Will need some central services though as they are only at both ends, Abergavenny and Glyn Neath.
If you turn south on the A470 at Merthyr Tydfil, I can recommend Trago Mills, which is 1½ miles/3 minutes away, is very easily accessed with free parking and has a good choice of refreshments and meals and the toilets are always clean and tidy.

I'm sure it's the same all over the country where if you're local, you'll know somewhere to stop for a break where none's visible from the main road.