Out of date road signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Out of date road signs

Post by the cheesecake man »

jnty wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 13:20
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 13:11 Turn left for City Hall disabled parking and servicing. Sadly the road is now one way in the other direction. :ipunch:
Think your links are to different years of GSV imagery - there's no year where the sign and the one way restriction coexist. The now-erroneous sign has gone.
It was there at 6.46pm yesterday, with a no left turn sign behind it:
IMG_20220818_184613.jpg
jnty

Post by jnty »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:32
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 13:11 Turn left for City Hall disabled parking and servicing. Sadly the road is now one way in the other direction. :ipunch:
Think your links are to different years of GSV imagery - there's no year where the sign and the one way restriction coexist. The now-erroneous sign has gone.
IMG_20220818_184613.jpg
Ha - so it looks like the new development has finished and they've put in a brand new pole and brand new sign to replace the old one like-for-like despite the fact that the turn has been banned for most of the time the development has been there. Top work!
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Since I mentioned the signs for the MEN Arena in Manchester, some if not all have been vinyl patched with AO Arena.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

This one in Bexleyheath always amuses me. Superbowl has been rebranded twice since, newer signs refer to it as "Bowling Alley" or "Bowling Centre". Trading world was demolished in the late 90s.

The other approaches to town did have the same signs, but now have none whatsoever. What's better, out of date signs or none at all?

This one warns of a no right turn at the next junction, but in 2017 it was replaced with a roundabout so it is now possible to turn right there.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:32
IMG_20220818_184613.jpg
That’s also a botched design job - the border thickness and corner radiuses all look a bit out, and the wrong font weight has been used for the brown patch. Not horrendous but also not designed by someone who knew what they were doing.
hughster

Post by hughster »

Spotted this museum piece the other day. The Court Centre (later Mallard Park) was a hotel and sports complex opened in the 1980s, in its day hosting major concerts and tennis tournaments, that burned down in an arson attack in 1994. (They got around to patching over something else on the sign, but curiously never this.) Interesting also is that in circa 2013 the Rileys snooker club down the same road closed and reopened as an independent venture called "The Court", a name I can only guess was chosen in order to take advantage of the sign, so perhaps, ironically, the sign is no longer out of date.
Komi san

Post by Komi san »

This sign is still standing despite junction 1 is no longer terminus of irish M9!

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1202592 ... 384!8i8192
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Glasgow Zoo is still signed 19 years after it closed.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

RichardA626 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 22:03 Since I mentioned the signs for the MEN Arena in Manchester, some if not all have been vinyl patched with AO Arena.
Including the one right on the border with Salford which still proudly boasts the Granada Studios Tour.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I dare say that this one in Perth is a few years out of date... https://goo.gl/maps/tn12HDsozkCSJzzy6

There's another one along the road. https://goo.gl/maps/texT19r3qHJCVmkM8

If it falls off I'm sure one of our members would love to get his hands on it! #A9posting :wink:
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

All the signs for Robin Hood Airport I passed this morning. :coat:
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

There is a “Games Route Network” sign still up on the A45 in Coventry.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

My opening gambit on the Rare Roadsigns thread was Low Flying helicopters with an indication that the ones I had seen; being near the old Penzance Heliport; had gone. Either I was wrong, or they put them back in the orignal place. That's out of date now as within a quarter mile all you've got is the replacement Sainsburys. So it really now belongs in this thread. The right ones for the new heliport are perhaps further along on the Longrock Bypass. Still not quite sure about that exactly, as they aren't just before the windsock and are after it in the other direction. Maybe it's air routes.

So even less rare than I first thought.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:31 All the signs for Robin Hood Airport I passed this morning. :coat:
I suspect there will be lots of demolition contractors and builders heading there given that its been acquired by the Peel Group. The former airport already has new housing and business development to the north and west.

The usual ploy at this stage is to say residents are complaining about the aircraft noise so they have reluctantly had to close it. They tried that one at Teesside airport but it failed when some geezers called Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson got involved and nationalised it :)
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

KeithW wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:10
the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:31All the signs for Robin Hood Airport I passed this morning. :coat:
I suspect there will be lots of demolition contractors and builders heading there given that its been acquired by the Peel Group.
Peel has owned it since 1999 - the only thing that's changed is what they're now doing with the site!
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

I guess there are a number of brown signs that advertise tourist attractions which are now closed.
Marzo

Post by Marzo »

I don't know whether Rambo has noticed, but there are signs at the junction of Stanney Lane and McGarva Way in Ellesmere Port pointing to EPIC. This would be the Ellesmere Port Indoor Centre that was demolished about eight years ago. A little further down Stanney Lane, at the junction with Wolverham Road, a sign directs you towards the (greyhound) Stadium, which has been a housing estate for some few years now. Over in Wellington Road North, there is a sign pointing to both, but it is mostly hidden behind a new lighting column.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Marzo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 14:57 I don't know whether Rambo has noticed, but there are signs at the junction of Stanney Lane and McGarva Way in Ellesmere Port pointing to EPIC. This would be the Ellesmere Port Indoor Centre that was demolished about eight years ago. A little further down Stanney Lane, at the junction with Wolverham Road, a sign directs you towards the (greyhound) Stadium, which has been a housing estate for some few years now. Over in Wellington Road North, there is a sign pointing to both, but it is mostly hidden behind a new lighting column.
I haven't but next time i'm over that way i'll certainly go for a look. cheers!
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Worcestershire Wolf wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 21:05 This route confirmation sign in Rugeley has never been replaced since the A51 was diverted to the North of the town. It is now part of the A460 I think:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.75529 ... 384!8i8192
Which is perversely still relevant as it's quicker to use the old route through the centre of Rugeley than go round the new road with all its roundabouts - mainly because those who don't know just follow the signs!
Lifelong motorhead