M6 J10 Improvements

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ruperts Trooper

Re: M6 J10 Improvements

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Peter Freeman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:17 ^ You're right, that's just my assumption, and I may be wrong.

Even in AU, a government could continue to toll after franchise expiry, but generally they don't. A government could slap a toll on any of its roads whenever it likes, but they don't because there are elections to consider. The UK, unlike AU, doesn't toll roads (historical oddities aside) except for major structures across estuaries. M6Toll is a one-off, and is not well-liked. Hence my assumption.
Many thought the Dartford Crossing would become toll-free when the initial period ended but the toll remains, albeit under a different name - quite possibly the same logic will be used by the government of the day to keep charges on the M6T.
Lifelong motorhead
jackal

Post by jackal »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 13:21
Peter Freeman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:17 ^ You're right, that's just my assumption, and I may be wrong.

Even in AU, a government could continue to toll after franchise expiry, but generally they don't. A government could slap a toll on any of its roads whenever it likes, but they don't because there are elections to consider. The UK, unlike AU, doesn't toll roads (historical oddities aside) except for major structures across estuaries. M6Toll is a one-off, and is not well-liked. Hence my assumption.
Many thought the Dartford Crossing would become toll-free when the initial period ended but the toll remains, albeit under a different name - quite possibly the same logic will be used by the government of the day to keep charges on the M6T.
This is quite a different situation though. As I've mentioned before, tolls are generally economically inefficient, as they tend to push traffic onto less appropriate routes (e.g. shunpiking M6T or Seven Crossing when tolled), but the Dartford toll is efficient as it allocates limited space to higher value or essential uses.
Mapper89062

Post by Mapper89062 »

If the tolls were removed from the M6 Toll, then I don't think relief to the M6 would be that great, simply because there's not much traffic that actually wants to bypass the West Midlands area. Instead, what would happen is that suppressed demand for local journeys will be released (some new demand, some shifted over from the A5, A38 and other parallel roads.)

This is part of the reason for all the tolls that are being used in countries still building big roads, and if you want to make sure strategic journeys don't ignore the toll roads you need to either a) place them such that there is no sensible free route, like at Dartford, or b) price them to make them work out good value for longer journeys but very expensive for shorter commutes and suchlike.
Just your average mapper, bringing you a map-focused take on today's world
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The amount of shunpiking traffic using the A5 and A38 shows how ineffective the M6 Toll is. If motorists are prepared to sit in solid traffic like this all the way from Weeford Island to Wall Island then it shows they would rather burn money on idling engines than pay the toll.

Regarding the congestion at J10 the M6 Toll doesn't really come into play. None of the traffic using the roundabout would benefit from the removal of the tolls as the M6 Toll would not be a route this traffic would use.
Attachments
toll.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
DanT97

Post by DanT97 »

Truvelo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:16 The amount of shunpiking traffic using the A5 and A38 shows how ineffective the M6 Toll is. If motorists are prepared to sit in solid traffic like this all the way from Weeford Island to Wall Island then it shows they would rather burn money on idling engines than pay the toll.

Regarding the congestion at J10 the M6 Toll doesn't really come into play. None of the traffic using the roundabout would benefit from the removal of the tolls as the M6 Toll would not be a route this traffic would use.
The only decent solution here would be to try and manipulate Brummies into using public transport more frequently. “Stop using thy cars” I would say, “then ye shalt be blessed with the gift of open lanes”.
T97 - Glencoe to Connell

The artist formerly known as Penguin2014
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

DanT97 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:26
Truvelo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:16 The amount of shunpiking traffic using the A5 and A38 shows how ineffective the M6 Toll is. If motorists are prepared to sit in solid traffic like this all the way from Weeford Island to Wall Island then it shows they would rather burn money on idling engines than pay the toll.

The only decent solution here would be to try and manipulate Brummies into using public transport more frequently. “Stop using thy cars” I would say, “then ye shalt be blessed with the gift of open lanes”.
How would getting Brummies to use public transport more frequently help a junction well outside Birmingham's sphere of influence?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

KILLER KNIGHT

Post by KILLER KNIGHT »

:laugh:
Truvelo wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 16:33
M42_J10 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 13:53 Look I'm just happy that something has been improved. They could plausibly have made it a tiny dumbbell instead...
The original proposals in the 1950s was just that.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Truvelo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:16The amount of shunpiking traffic using the A5 and A38 shows how ineffective the M6 Toll is. If motorists are prepared to sit in solid traffic like this all the way from Weeford Island to Wall Island then it shows they would rather burn money on idling engines than pay the toll.
If it’s getting close to the toll they would need to pay, where’s the sense in that??

Behaviour like that is wilful - if it’s going to cost you (near enough) the same, but you still refuse to pay on principle.
Steven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:33How would getting Brummies to use public transport more frequently help a junction well outside Birmingham's sphere of influence?
Blame Walsall?? :P
M42_J10

Post by M42_J10 »

DanT97 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:26

I could relieve M6 J10 by Just Getting The Tram to work instead of driving but this would take 1h30m instead of 40m :roll:
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Berk wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 17:38
Truvelo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:16The amount of shunpiking traffic using the A5 and A38 shows how ineffective the M6 Toll is. If motorists are prepared to sit in solid traffic like this all the way from Weeford Island to Wall Island then it shows they would rather burn money on idling engines than pay the toll.
If it’s getting close to the toll they would need to pay, where’s the sense in that??

Behaviour like that is wilful - if it’s going to cost you (near enough) the same, but you still refuse to pay on principle.
Steven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:33How would getting Brummies to use public transport more frequently help a junction well outside Birmingham's sphere of influence?
Blame Walsall?? :P
I think there could be a fair amount of people who would simply just not want to pay the toll on principle and would sit on any free road to make the same journey no matter how congested it is.

It's certainly an argument in this case, for them to have made the current toll road free, for the long distance traffic, but put the tolls on the old M6 through Birmingham between M5 and M42, which would act as a deterrent - but with the obvious issues of then charging local traffic (unless they use the A452 instead, for example) and also whether it would be possible easily to toll a previously free road...
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The M6 southbound onslip has been reduced to a single lane for about a week now and the hard shoulder coned off between J10 and J9. This causes traffic to back up and lock the eastern side of the roundabout. Traffic from the Black Country Route heading to the M6 south blocks traffic from the north heading to the Black Country Route. It's not helped by the driver of the white lorry on the left who leave at J10 and then go up and down to rejoin the M6 rather that sit in the queue on the M6 below.
Attachments
j10.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

The permanent traffic signals have finally been fully installed and turned on! Not sure what it's like around the rest of the country, but the West Midlands seem to hate installing mast arm signals which would have been much more beneficial here considering the amount of lanes.

If I'm not wrong, these were the last mast arm signals I recall in going up in the Birmingham area anyway over 15 years ago.
ReissOmari..
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

ReissOmari wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:31 The permanent traffic signals have finally been fully installed and turned on! Not sure what it's like around the rest of the country, but the West Midlands seem to hate installing mast arm signals which would have been much more beneficial here considering the amount of lanes.

If I'm not wrong, these were the last mast arm signals I recall in going up in the Birmingham area anyway over 15 years ago.
Considering the number of gantry structures installed I'm surprised overhead signals weren't installed on those - you can see a good example of this at M65 J6, which locals now call the Whitebirk Grand Prix:

https://goo.gl/maps/GdThavFWpybuGr657
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
M42_J10

Post by M42_J10 »

Obviously now I've finished working around there and stopped using J10 to commute, they'll probably finish the roadworks within days :mrgreen:
Ruperts Trooper

M42_J10 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 22:06 Obviously now I've finished working around there and stopped using J10 to commute, they'll probably finish the roadworks within days :mrgreen:
It's always been like that - when I commuted from Tamworth to Birmingham they were building the M42 from J9-J10, then when I commuted from Tamworth to Derby they were building the A42 !
Lifelong motorhead
KILLER KNIGHT

Post by KILLER KNIGHT »

ReissOmari wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:31 The permanent traffic signals have finally been fully installed and turned on! Not sure what it's like around the rest of the country, but the West Midlands seem to hate installing mast arm signals which would have been much more beneficial here considering the amount of lanes.

Stoke-on-Trent loves those!
KILLER KNIGHT

Post by KILLER KNIGHT »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 22:13
M42_J10 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 22:06 Obviously now I've finished working around there and stopped using J10 to commute, they'll probably finish the roadworks within days :mrgreen:
It's always been like that - when I commuted from Tamworth to Birmingham they were building the M42 from J9-J10, then when I commuted from Tamworth to Derby they were building the A42 !
LOL that’s so sad! Had they built the original M42 as intended, you wouldn’t have had to go through the trouble of them building the A42!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

KILLER KNIGHT wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 19:19 LOL that’s so sad! Had they built the original M42 as intended, you wouldn’t have had to go through the trouble of them building the A42!
The first section of the M42 was a simple link road from the M6 to Birmingham Airport and the NEC. It opened in the mid 70's when money was really tight after the 1970's depression and it was 1985 before it went any farther. Even so you got the A42 because they ran out of money before reaching the M1 !

Let me remind you of the interest rate in 1986, it was pushing 8% and that was low by the standards of the time.
Ruperts Trooper

KILLER KNIGHT wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 19:19
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 22:13
LOL that’s so sad! Had they built the original M42 as intended, you wouldn’t have had to go through the trouble of them building the A42!
I suspect that if the A42 had been built to motorway standard north of junction 11, it would still have been phased later than the southern stretches.

Since the M42 is only 2 lane north of junction 9, there's little difference in practice between that section of M42 and the A42.
Lifelong motorhead
jackal

Post by jackal »

£78m motorway scheme 'makes no difference'
www.bbc.com/news/articles/cxrwqrqd72do