Road Infrastructure Things Worth Visiting

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Road Infrastructure Things Worth Visiting

Post by Chris Bertram »

Big L wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:57 I had a bit of a drive around the north east on Tuesday, which included the old lift bridge in Middlesbrough, and the Wearmouth, Queen Alexandra and Northern Spire bridges in Sunderland.
The Newport bridge. Decommissioned in 1990. Sadly, the Transporter Bridge is also currently out of action, with no planned date for recommencement of service.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Owain wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:10
JosephA22 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:59Not far from Dover, the tunnel on Royal Harbour Approach at Ramsgate (leading down to the port) is an interesting drive. Not so much because the tunnel itself is unique in any way, but because it's a modern high-spec fairly long tunnel that you will probably have all to yourself, which is an unusual experience in Britain.

And as it doesn't really go anywhere sensible, you can just turn around and drive it again.
Anyone for a tunnel under a runway?
See also these (plus spin round the other way for more) which look like tunnels but I suspect aren't.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
SussexMan

Post by SussexMan »

The original post was about putting together a list... Haven't read through all the posts to see if that was taken up (beyond this thread) but there is always this website for particularly interesting/unusual things. I always take a look at it if I am heading to a new area.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/a ... on-one-map
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Big L wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 17:29
See also these (plus spin round the other way for more) which look like tunnels but I suspect aren't.
???? Why do you suspect they aren't????

What do you think they might be if not tunnels?
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

wrinkly wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 09:29

I'm pretty sure they're cut & cover, but they're definitely tunnels. They've also both got little cycling/foot tunnels either side of the main carriageway too.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

wrinkly wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 09:29

Bridges.

Depends* if they were bored or if the concrete arch was built in air and covered over.

*to me. Bridge and Tunnel are verbs that describe how the structure is constructed and therefore become the noun of what the structure is.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The St Helier Tunnel, which goes underneath Fort Regent and links the west and east of the town. It looks like something from continental Europe and you can walk through it, although the petrol fumes can be quite strong.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Big L wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:28 Depends* if they were bored or if the concrete arch was built in air and covered over.

*to me. Bridge and Tunnel are verbs that describe how the structure is constructed and therefore become the noun of what the structure is.
What about the Baldock bypass, or even the Circle Line?
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Herned wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:14
Big L wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:28 Depends* if they were bored or if the concrete arch was built in air and covered over.

What about the Baldock bypass, or even the Circle Line?
...and Hatfield has a bridge with a shopping centre on it.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Big L wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:28
Bridges.

Depends* if they were bored or if the concrete arch was built in air and covered over.

I would have to disagree. The structure is both a bridge and a tunnel. The bridge aspect supports the runway while the tunnel carries the road underneath it just as at Heathrow. The signs reading Manchester Airport Tunnel are a bit of giveaway :)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.34514 ... 312!8i6656