Is ramp metering dead?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

XC70

Is ramp metering dead?

Post by XC70 »

Many years ago traffic lights were installed at a few of the junctions near me on the M1 nr Sheffield. These served to control the flow of vehicles onto the mainline when it was busy. I believe it is called ramp metering.

For a good few years now I have not seen them in action. We also had an upgrade to - so called - Smart motorway a few years back and I am not sure if these 2 events were related.

So is ramp metering still in use on UK motorways? Or has it been binned? Is it comparable with Smart motorways, or is it only compatible with regular motorways?

Thanks in advance.
darkcape

Re: Is ramp metering dead?

Post by darkcape »

I believe a lot of the thinking was that the Smart Motorway speed control negated the need for ramp metering which is why some sites were removed.

However, the M1 J23a-25 retained the signals to the northbound onslip at J24a. There is/was a motorway-to-motorway installation on the M6 to M62 relatively recently?
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
M19

Post by M19 »

The eastbound onslip onto the A14 at J4, just outside my estate has ramp metering which is on when the A14 grinds to a crawl. The A14 has quite a short but fairly steep incline at this point with the slip for the services at the top, so traffic has a habit of slowing up when it is busy.
M19
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

Still in use at M25 J11 (as of 2-3 weeks ago).
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

I know the lights you're talking about but I've never seen them in action. They're found mostly on sliproads along the most busy stretches of motorway, such as the M25 and southern portions of the M1/M6.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

darkcape wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 19:48 I believe a lot of the thinking was that the Smart Motorway speed control negated the need for ramp metering which is why some sites were removed.

However, the M1 J23a-25 retained the signals to the northbound onslip at J24a. There is/was a motorway-to-motorway installation on the M6 to M62 relatively recently?
It got removed as part of the J10-12 works. It was only ever intended as an experiment.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Still in use on non-smart M5 junction 1 last week.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

RJDG14 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 23:05 I know the lights you're talking about but I've never seen them in action. They're found mostly on sliproads along the most busy stretches of motorway, such as the M25 and southern portions of the M1/M6.
They are also on the southbound onslip at J7 of the A1(M) (Langley Sidings/Stevenage South). I don't know how often, if at all, they are triggered, but it is quite a short sliproad and you do get congestion, especially with the incline about half a mile south near Knebworth. It is 2 junctions south of my usual access and the odd occasions when I do use it myself are well away from peak times.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Close to death in the UK, but alive, thriving and expanding in Australia and New Zealand. It has its adherents and its critics (I'm still sitting on the fence), but the road management authorities are adamant that it works and is worthwhile. It is integrated with other aspects of our Smart Motorways. Links to VicRoads videos, from a few years ago -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pahIsJEFEMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfbtj1ie1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCEBpgEv_QQ
Previously extensively discussed on Sabre: search 'ramp metering'.
Last edited by Peter Freeman on Mon Aug 31, 2020 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

I'm guessing that on the M42 east of Birmingham, there's effectively a lane gain on the junctions so ramp metering isn't needed.
Barkstar

Post by Barkstar »

M60 junction 2 has them. It's been a while since I when through there during the rush hour but they are still in place. And very much still in use at jct 2 on the M56 yesterday. I'd be happy for them to be installed at the eastbound A34 on slip onto the M60 at Jct 3 where nose to tail traffic expects the vehicles in lane one to give way to them.....
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I think the M1 around Sheffield is far better since the smart motorway was finished, yes it has safety issues but either way it’s got 25% extra capacity which means ramp metering isn’t really needed as you can keep the M1 and slip roads flowing rather than holding up the on slip.

I did notice some ramp metering at a on slip onto the A3 in Guildford not sure how often it’s used as it wasn’t working both times I went past.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

I've seen the Guildford one in use... Sometimes.

Nothing like as often as I would have expected
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

NICK 647063 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:19 I think the M1 around Sheffield is far better since the smart motorway was finished, yes it has safety issues but either way it’s got 25% extra capacity which means ramp metering isn’t really needed as you can keep the M1 and slip roads flowing rather than holding up the on slip.
I haven't encountered the lights on since smartification. J33 has lane gains so there doesn't seem any point in metering.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Lockwood wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:26 I've seen the Guildford one in use... Sometimes.
Do you mean the M25 at junction 10, because I'm not really sure the A3 around the town has them?
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

I mean the one on the A3 Southbound at Guildford
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I had no idea there was any in place on the A3 slips.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

One rather tired looking set on the M8 at J16.

Recently installed at the Queensferry Crossing approaches but I’ve not seen them used just yet.
thomas417

Post by thomas417 »

Always failed to see how this works, surely holding back traffic to then enter on mass will jam the road again as you try to merge.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

thomas417 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 13:10 Always failed to see how this works, surely holding back traffic to then enter on mass will jam the road again as you try to merge.
When they operate, the slip road only gets green for a very short period allowing just a few vehicles through - the theory being that if the mainline isn't brought top a standstill it can absorb a few vehicles at a time.
Lifelong motorhead