Wrong way driving

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Wrong way driving

Post by Conekicker »

Looks like Highways England have decided how they wish to mitigate this.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/trafficauths/case-4922.pdf

Can't say I'm too optimistic that 2 or 4 vertical red stripes and 2 or 4 associated 616s will stop it but every little helps I guess.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: Wrong way driving

Post by RichardA35 »

I was getting all excited scrolling through the authorisation as I thought Flowsignals had made a comeback.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

RichardA35 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 20:55 I was getting all excited scrolling through the authorisation as I thought Flowsignals had made a comeback.
Behave yourself :roll: :laugh:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 21:49
RichardA35 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 20:55 I was getting all excited scrolling through the authorisation as I thought Flowsignals had made a comeback.
Behave yourself :roll: :laugh:
Give it time...

It's a red band on a sign post, how does this communicate anything to a driver that a larger Dia 616 could not?

Looks like they've copied the US model which uses red posts for Do Not Enter/Wrong Way combinations - https://aashtojournal.org/wp-content/up ... ongWay.jpg

Perhaps they should consider that a simple kerb/road marking modification would be more effective at several roundabouts. But a red sticker costs £30 whereas a kerb change is maybe £30,000. What price on safety...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

are there specific problem locations that this is initially for?
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Al__S wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 07:15 are there specific problem locations that this is initially for?
I believe so. Although the instances of wrong way driving is a bit hit and miss (no pun intended), so the locations aren't overly obvious to pick out AIUI.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Just stick a pair of red wigwags on the post. Job's done.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

AndyB wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 13:18 Just stick a pair of red wigwags on the post. Job's done.
£££££££££££££££ :o
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

If it was £££££££££££££££ NI would have removed them many years ago to save money ;)

They're the same units as used to be used for School patrols, with red lenses and mounted horizontally.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

AndyB wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 20:34 If it was £££££££££££££££ NI would have removed them many years ago to save money ;)

They're the same units as used to be used for School patrols, with red lenses and mounted horizontally.
Interesting but not authorised via the UK TSRGD. It also requires a power supply, which may or may not be present. Clever use of existing kit though. Stick some modern low energy bulbs in them, job done? Still wouldn't stop all wrong way drivers, many of whom are, apparently, drugged, drunk or mentally impaired somehow or other.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

They're not in TSR either in NI. I think they all run on LEDs now, so they are cheap as...

Most NI junctions are lit now. One exception is M1 J13, and it still has a power supply for the wigwags.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

I have noticed an appalling increase in wrong-way driving on one way streets in London, entirely (from my observations) by Uber "minicabs". It seems to be deliberate.
Bomag

Post by Bomag »

AndyB wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 20:34 If it was £££££££££££££££ NI would have removed them many years ago to save money ;)

NI has about 42 on-slips in total. The M1 would need nearly 80 on its own.

The research shows that 90-95%+ of wrong ways are deliberate or due to impairment.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

WHBM wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 22:41 I have noticed an appalling increase in wrong-way driving on one way streets in London, entirely (from my observations) by Uber "minicabs". It seems to be deliberate.
Yes, same. Sometimes deliberate, creeping around the wrong way to avoid something, but the other type is not deliberate, and is an Uber dawdling around in the wrong direction with the driver’s eyes fixed almost entirely on their dashboard-mounted phone, looking for a pick up or drop off point and oblivious to anything happening around them.
Alf27

Post by Alf27 »

I believe this junction has had several wrong way incidents, at least one of which was a multiple fatality.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7397958 ... 312!8i6656
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Alf27 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 22:53 I believe this junction has had several wrong way incidents, at least one of which was a multiple fatality.

Is that not the junction where Theresa May's father was killed ? He was the vicar in the adjacent village of Wheatley.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:27
Al__S wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 07:15 are there specific problem locations that this is initially for?
I believe so. Although the instances of wrong way driving is a bit hit and miss (no pun intended), so the locations aren't overly obvious to pick out AIUI.
I don't know. This has come up on a number of HE schemes recently, ones well away from ports. Possibly it's as a result of wider use of compact GSJs with the attendant possibility of drivers inadvertently crossing over on the two-way sections - I can't think of any other reason. The document they refer to is CHE MEMORANDUM 436/19 – Wrong Way Driving: Mitigation Toolkit.

Mind, if there are any structures on a scheme they also want reference to their suicide prevention strategy. All well and good, but one measure which could help - enclosing footbridges - seems to be entirely off the menu, so how seriously they take this risk clearly depends on how much money they've got to spend.
Britain

Post by Britain »

Conekicker wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 18:25 Looks like Highways England have decided how they wish to mitigate this.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/trafficauths/case-4922.pdf

Can't say I'm too optimistic that 2 or 4 vertical red stripes and 2 or 4 associated 616s will stop it but every little helps I guess.
So there isn't going to be a new sign, or have they not decided on one yet? The only new thing I can see is that there will be more signs further down the road complete with a red band, which is more than there is now. I still believe road design should make it difficult to enter the motorway and dual carriageways in the wrong direction. I actually like what NI do with the red flashing lights, though I'm not sure how effective they are.

Conekicker wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 20:45

Interesting but not authorised via the UK TSRGD. It also requires a power supply, which may or may not be present. Clever use of existing kit though. Stick some modern low energy bulbs in them, job done? Still wouldn't stop all wrong way drivers, many of whom are, apparently, drugged, drunk or mentally impaired somehow or other.
Do no entry signs not have to be lit? If they have to be lit then they'll already have a power source.

Alf27 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 22:53 I believe this junction has had several wrong way incidents, at least one of which was a multiple fatality.

I spotted this nearby. NSL signs aren't needed on motorway entry signs are they? Surely the sign itself conveys the speed limit. I don't think I've seen a NSL on a motorway entry sign before for this reason.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Britain wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 06:40 Do no entry signs not have to be lit? If they have to be lit then they'll already have a power source.
If they are placed within 50m of any lamp which forms part of a system of street-lighting, yes.

But not all junctions have street-lighting present, which is where the problem of a power source then comes from.
Britain wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 06:40I spotted this nearby. NSL signs aren't needed on motorway entry signs are they? Surely the sign itself conveys the speed limit. I don't think I've seen a NSL on a motorway entry sign before for this reason.
They aren't but this is usually down to the local authority not having a clue what they are doing, such as here, now removed thankfully:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6841554 ... 312!8i6656
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Conekicker wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 09:35
Britain wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 06:40 Do no entry signs not have to be lit? If they have to be lit then they'll already have a power source.
If they are placed within 50m of any lamp which forms part of a system of street-lighting, yes.

But not all junctions have street-lighting present, which is where the problem of a power source then comes from.
I see why, but it seems counterintuitive. If the area is light you need to light a sign, but don’t need to if the area is dark.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.