North Hykeham Relief Road (Lincoln's Southern Bypass)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

North Hykeham Relief Road (Lincoln's Southern Bypass)

Post by jervi »

Department of Transport has announced £110m of funding for the "North Hykeham Relief Road".
https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/ar ... elief-road
The North Hykeham Relief Road (also could be called the Lincoln's Southern Bypass) is due to cost £155m, with LCC having to find funding for the last £45m+, however the press release did state
based on past experience with managing projects like the Lincoln Eastern Bypass and the unexpected issues that can arise, it's possible that the cost estimate of the road will go up before we break ground.
It goes onto say that construction is due to start in 2025, but doesn't mention predicted timescales.
The new road will be the final section to complete a ring road around the city and will be a dual carriageway for its whole length, with several roundabouts to allow new housing & ind construction within the ring road.
It will feature a fully lit shared cycle & pedestrian surface adjacent to the main carriageways for its entire length
darkcape

Re: North Hykeham Relief Road (Lincoln's Southern Bypass)

Post by darkcape »

Probably 2 years to build. Interesting that they're keeping this as D2 whilst LEB was downgraded to single carriageway + some futureproofing.

Still a shame it hasn't all been built in one go, very wasteful & inefficient.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
ABB125

Post by ABB125 »

It's interesting that this scheme is forecast to cost £145 million, whereas the similar length but fewer junctions (only 2 I believe, M5 and Teddington Hands) A46 Ashchurch bypass is planned to be around £230 million.

Good news though. I had a look at an article in one of the local newspapers, and none of the comments were negative (apart from "if it's not a dual carriageway, there's no point"!).
jackal

Post by jackal »

It does look pretty decent to be fair.

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/images/ ... te_web.jpg

"Lincolnshire Coastal Highway" refers to the A158 - I assume its traffic will be routed around the south of Lincoln to get to the A46, relieving the existing bypass.

The limitation is more the Eastern Bypass than this one. There's not any obvious reason for the difference in standard.
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Assuming this goes ahead, Lincoln will not only have a complete ring road, but it will also be possible to circumnavigate the city without having to TOTSO.

Wonder if anyone will be tempted to do a full lap in one go?
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

A welcome development, IMHO... but looks like it will create a mess of road numbers, that's waving flags at my CDO (*)!
  • We know that the Lincoln Eastern Bypass will be the A15...
  • Presumably, the old-A15 (at least between the A158 and the City Centre) will go back to being A158?
  • But what about the old-A15 from the City Centre south... extend the A57? or also A158? Or a new number
  • What about the useless multiplex A158/A15 between A158 and A46... makes sense (to me) to unwind that to be A15?
  • And what will the NHB become? Again, I'm assuming A158?
Maybe leaving the A15 alone, and making both new parts A158 would be the neatest?

* CDO is a condition very similar to OCD, but with the letters in the right order
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 17:01 A welcome development, IMHO... but looks like it will create a mess of road numbers, that's waving flags at my CDO (*)!
  • Presumably, the old-A15 (at least between the A158 and the City Centre) will become A158?
  • But what about the old-A15 from the City Centre south... extend the A57? or also A158? Or a new number
  • What about the useless multiplex A158/A15 between A158 and A46... makes sense (to me) to unwind that to be A15?
Maybe leaving the A15 alone, and making both new parts A158 would be the neatest?

* CDO is a condition very similar to OCD, but with the letters in the right order
The plan is presumably for east-west traffic bypassing Lincoln to be split depending on destination? I'd personally go with A158 for the southern bypass, multiplexing with the A15 on the eastern bypass which, in turn, multiplexes with the A46 on the northern bypass.

Or A1546!
jervi

Post by jervi »

jackal wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 15:36 It does look pretty decent to be fair.

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/images/ ... te_web.jpg

"Lincolnshire Coastal Highway" refers to the A158 - I assume its traffic will be routed around the south of Lincoln to get to the A46, relieving the existing bypass.

The limitation is more the Eastern Bypass than this one. There's not any obvious reason for the difference in standard.
The "Lincolnshire Coastal Highway" seems like it is only a term that LCC use to try and get more funding, or maybe its to concentrate their efforts more on that road, either way I don't like it.
And I hate that name, when I hear "Coastal Highway", I think of an actual coastal road that runs along the coast (or near enough) (i.e. A259/A27), the Lincolnshire Coastal Highway is the opposite!

The biggest issue I can see from this scheme is the Western tie-in. No plans show how its going to be laid out, however it's very likely to be a roundabout, and I reckon it will be 4/5 lanes signalised.
It really should have a GSJ, maybe like this, unlikely to happen in this scheme, however this junction will be a problem for HE (since A46 is still just about trunk here), so maybe it will get some attention from them.
Another question is what will be its road number?!? Will the whole ring road get its own number (A150?) with the A46 & A15 multiplexing , or will the southern bypass get its own number?
jervi

Post by jervi »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 17:01 A welcome development, IMHO... but looks like it will create a mess of road numbers, that's waving flags at my CDO (*)!
  • Presumably, the old-A15 (at least between the A158 and the City Centre) will go back to being A158?
As part of the LEB:
The old A15 will become the A1434 (north of the current end of the A1434), south of that will become the A607 (including the spur). The A158 would make more sense for the old route, since its a cleaner number and could be used for the whole length, but people arriving from the south along the A15 who want to take the A158 north of the city, may end up going through the city since it would be signed as such. So using A1434 is better since it is completely contained within the city. - not quite the same with the A607, which I'd like to end at the bypass then the rest of the old A15 taking on the B1131 number.

The current multiplex of the A158 & A15 is being renumbered completely as the A15, only God knows why that was ever the A158 in the first place.

I'm just hoping the whole thing gets called the A150, surely there is a reason why it hasn't been reallocated.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 17:01 Maybe leaving the A15 alone, and making both new parts A158 would be the neatest?
What do you call the bit of the current bypass that is A158? A15? Bit weird given it disappears into a multiplex either side of that short section IMO.

I think having that short section and the Eastern Bypass as A15, and the Southern Bypass as A158, is probably best. Perhaps this is what the council ultimately intend.
Micro The Maniac

jackal wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 17:48 What do you call the bit of the current bypass that is A158? A15? Bit weird given it disappears into a multiplex either side of that short section IMO.
That "short bit" (orange line) will be continuous with the new A15 LEB (blue line) so would be fine as A15... it makes no sense as A158
Lincoln.png
jackal

Post by jackal »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 19:44
jackal wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 17:48 What do you call the bit of the current bypass that is A158? A15? Bit weird given it disappears into a multiplex either side of that short section IMO.
That "short bit" (orange line) will be continuous with the new A15 LEB (blue line) so would be fine as A15... it makes no sense as A158
Lincoln.png
Your proposal, which I quoted in the post you're responding to, was "Maybe leaving the A15 alone, and making both new parts A158". I am criticising this proposal in the quote above.

I also said in that post: "I think having that short section and the Eastern Bypass as A15, and the Southern Bypass as A158, is probably best".

So you now seem to be saying exactly what I said in my previous post, but presenting it as though you're disagreeing with me.
Micro The Maniac

jackal wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 20:33 Your proposal, which I quoted in the post you're responding to, was "Maybe leaving the A15 alone, and making both new parts A158". I am criticising this proposal in the quote above.

I also said in that post: "I think having that short section and the Eastern Bypass as A15, and the Southern Bypass as A158, is probably best".

So you now seem to be saying exactly what I said in my previous post, but presenting it as though you're disagreeing with me.
I'm saying the LEB should be A158 not A15.

Leaving the existing A15 as it *currently* is (other than the orange A158[A15] bit becoming just A15) and then A158 taking over both the new (blue and red) bits avoid any unnecessary multiplexes.

It just seems illogical for the A158 to end at the North East corner, then resume for the southern stretch when there is a perfectly rationale way to do it.

But heh... it doesn't matter....
jackal

Post by jackal »

The problem with that is you're prioritizing the route through the city, which no one should use once the bypass is built, by having it retain the A15 number.

Likewise, the primary route suffers under your proposal. The route that anyone travelling from the A15 north to the A15 south (or vice versa) should use, via the northern and southern bypasses, would have a bizarre A15-A46-A15-A158-A15 sequence, with the A15 number disappearing into two multiplexes in quick succession.

Prominent numbers should be put on bypasses where practical, which is why I and the council suggest A15 for the LEB, and why I also suggest that the 'orange bit' of the northern bypass should be A15.

I agree it doesn't really matter so we can just drop it if you prefer...
Micro The Maniac

jackal wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:26 ... and why I also suggest that the 'orange bit' of the northern bypass should be A15.
We can agree on this bit (as we are) and move on...

The rest is moot anyway, as the LEB *will be* A15
jackal

Post by jackal »

:thumbsup:

Post by 6637 »

Personally I think that once it's all complete, it should be all signed as Lincoln Ring Road, possibly with one number all round- I'd even use junction numbers for the ring road's fifteen junctions. As for the old A15 inside the ring road, just number it as A1434 in the northern bit and another new 4-digit A-road number in the southern bit.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

6637 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 09:49 Personally I think that once it's all complete, it should be all signed as Lincoln Ring Road, possibly with one number all round- I'd even use junction numbers for the ring road's fifteen junctions. As for the old A15 inside the ring road, just number it as A1434 in the northern bit and another new 4-digit A-road number in the southern bit.
Well a separate number for the ring road would work but renumbering the A15 inside it would IMHO be a bad idea. We havent done this in other cities such as York, Leeds or Birmingham where the A38 still goes through the centre. In the case of Canterbury they did renumber the old A2 but that was a bypass not a ring road. The A1 crosses the M25 and continues into the City with the same number. In the case of Doncaster the A19 terminates on the A630.

In the case of Lincoln the A15 avoids the Mediaeval City centre by heading NE to the A158 in any case. I would leave it that way. This is not a Ring Road in the sense of the M25 but rather bits of existing roads that have bypassed Lincoln for their own needs and are of varying quality and type. The only strategic route is the A46 but I would like to see the A15 to the Humber Bridge be made trunk.

Post by 6637 »

KeithW wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:18
6637 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 09:49 Personally I think that once it's all complete, it should be all signed as Lincoln Ring Road, possibly with one number all round- I'd even use junction numbers for the ring road's fifteen junctions. As for the old A15 inside the ring road, just number it as A1434 in the northern bit and another new 4-digit A-road number in the southern bit.
Well a separate number for the ring road would work but renumbering the A15 inside it would IMHO be a bad idea. We havent done this in other cities such as York, Leeds or Birmingham where the A38 still goes through the centre. In the case of Canterbury they did renumber the old A2 but that was a bypass not a ring road. The A1 crosses the M25 and continues into the City with the same number. In the case of Doncaster the A19 terminates on the A630.

In the case of Lincoln the A15 avoids the Mediaeval City centre by heading NE to the A158 in any case. I would leave it that way. This is not a Ring Road in the sense of the M25 but rather bits of existing roads that have bypassed Lincoln for their own needs and are of varying quality and type. The only strategic route is the A46 but I would like to see the A15 to the Humber Bridge be made trunk.
I think the best analogy for this new ring road is the M60- originally created as a mess of different roads, but one thing once it's complete.

As for the inside of the ring road, I was even wondering whether it should be B-roads! But I think the A1434 number would make a lot of sense as it gets rid of the current TOTSO and emphasises that through traffic on the A15 should be using the bypass.
mehere

Post by mehere »

Hi guys it's been a while since I posted, hope your all well and safe, very bad health has kept me occupied for a long time .

But looking at this and thinking back to following the A46 Dualling during the early 2000's ( I can't think exactly where but am sure was Leicestershire ), point is that was much higher quality.

Grade seperated , this plan here will only cause jams, the old saying build it and they will come.

Also I note it clearly smashes through residential areas , so a lot of demolition? And what safeguarding is in place to prevent, house builders / industrial parks springing up alongside ( as Happened with the A63 Selby Bypass ) , the flythrough and map I downloaded, show some lovely open countryside, with a lovely lock and key side , I wonder what mitigation they will offer there !.

Noone doubts Lincoln needs a full GSJ, ' orbital ', and the A15 North to the M180 dualled with ideally free flow links west and eastbound .

To get to Lincoln along the A15 is a joke , so this ' coast road' is all well and good , but it's past time they tackled the A15, it should also be GSJ / expressway , such a large university , and stunning old town yet unless coming from the A1 it's a nightmare, and that too needs to be dualled if it's not already.

Equally of course, with looming bans on fossil fuel vehicles in 9 years time , it might be cheaper to use a train , so on Ballance I hope they have a few rail schemes in Lincolnshire..