A487 Caernarfon Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteelCamel

Re: A487 Caernarfon Bypass

Post by SteelCamel »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:59
Richard_Fairhurst wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 20:39 I think that's a Google Maps error: OSM has it correctly as the A4871.

(Which reminds me of a pet annoyance - I wish highway authorities were a bit more sparing in issuing numbers to bypassed roads. Sure, the road through Caernarfon itself should still be classified, but the section through Llanwnda and Bontnewydd doesn't even merit B-road status, let alone A-road. Similarly the B384 and B3800 in Selly Oak, or the B641 in Oakham: all would be fine as unclassified roads.)
There's funding mechanisms for classified roads, it's stopped being about navigation and is all about moolah. What this also does is stop any sensible effort to reduce traffic further on bypassed roads by creating active travel and public transport improvements.
That does make me wonder - since the local authorities set the classifications, what stops them just designating everything as an A-road to extract maximum funding?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 20:22
Bryn666 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:59
Richard_Fairhurst wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 20:39 I think that's a Google Maps error: OSM has it correctly as the A4871.

(Which reminds me of a pet annoyance - I wish highway authorities were a bit more sparing in issuing numbers to bypassed roads. Sure, the road through Caernarfon itself should still be classified, but the section through Llanwnda and Bontnewydd doesn't even merit B-road status, let alone A-road. Similarly the B384 and B3800 in Selly Oak, or the B641 in Oakham: all would be fine as unclassified roads.)
There's funding mechanisms for classified roads, it's stopped being about navigation and is all about moolah. What this also does is stop any sensible effort to reduce traffic further on bypassed roads by creating active travel and public transport improvements.
That does make me wonder - since the local authorities set the classifications, what stops them just designating everything as an A-road to extract maximum funding?
LAs set them but they still have to be in principle be agreed with the DfT - they do in theory have a veto over ridiculous ideas.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
fras

Post by fras »

I drove along the full length of the Caernarfon Bypass today going north. It was far longer than I expected and bypasses more than just Caernarfon. It seems very well engineered and much better than we seem to build in England where there are never any overtaking lanes put in, (Cheshire East please note; the Alderley Edge bypass is typically bad on this).

The only complaint of the day was running back, on the A55, it all jammed up solid at St Asaph. There are no electronic signs so one can never know what is going on, so I diverted into St Asaph, and made our way to Mold, then to Broughton and rejoined the A55. I have noticed this congestion at St Asaph before, and often wonder why. It can't be the hill near Rhuallt, surely ?
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

fras wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 22:57 The only complaint of the day was running back, on the A55, it all jammed up solid at St Asaph. There are no electronic signs so one can never know what is going on, so I diverted into St Asaph, and made our way to Mold, then to Broughton and rejoined the A55. I have noticed this congestion at St Asaph before, and often wonder why. It can't be the hill near Rhuallt, surely ?
I reckon it's just sheer volume of traffic, especially on holiday weekends. At St Asaph you've got Rhyl and Prestatyn traffic leaving/joining which is a fairly significant chunk. It always moves more freely once you're further west. I was in North Wales from Easter Friday to Monday; on the Friday, Westbound A55 mid-morning was quite heavy (but still moving fairly well). Yesterday I went home via the A5 Eastbound which was mostly ok, about 15 minutes delay at the A494 multiplex because of the traffic lights. Gnarly through Llangollen, and beyond that it looked busy too but I divert off cross-country to Whitchurch and Stoke rather than stay on the A5. Looking on Google traffic, the Eastbound A55 looked bad all the way from St Asaph to Ewloe, so glad I avoided it.
fras

Post by fras »

danfw194 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:12
fras wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 22:57 The only complaint of the day was running back, on the A55, it all jammed up solid at St Asaph. There are no electronic signs so one can never know what is going on, so I diverted into St Asaph, and made our way to Mold, then to Broughton and rejoined the A55. I have noticed this congestion at St Asaph before, and often wonder why. It can't be the hill near Rhuallt, surely ?
I reckon it's just sheer volume of traffic, especially on holiday weekends. At St Asaph you've got Rhyl and Prestatyn traffic leaving/joining which is a fairly significant chunk. It always moves more freely once you're further west. I was in North Wales from Easter Friday to Monday; on the Friday, Westbound A55 mid-morning was quite heavy (but still moving fairly well). Yesterday I went home via the A5 Eastbound which was mostly ok, about 15 minutes delay at the A494 multiplex because of the traffic lights. Gnarly through Llangollen, and beyond that it looked busy too but I divert off cross-country to Whitchurch and Stoke rather than stay on the A5. Looking on Google traffic, the Eastbound A55 looked bad all the way from St Asaph to Ewloe, so glad I avoided it.
Looks like I made the right decision, then ! Once off the A55, the traffic was minimal, and we made very good progress.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

roadphotos wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:41 If all of the former A487 has now been renumbered as the A4871 then I'm a bit surprised that they didn't simply extend the A499 further north from where it meets the A487 south of Caernarfon
That stretch of road was indeed A499 all the way to Bangor originally.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Sadly, I've only ever driven the new road at night, so have missed out on the views.

There's something odd with the angle of approach to the southern roundabout from the A499: several times I've had a car already on the roundabout hidden behind the A pillar on my car and I've not seen it until the last minute. This is strange as that side of the roundabout hasn't changed at all!
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

nowster wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 13:32 Sadly, I've only ever driven the new road at night, so have missed out on the views.
What you've missed out on so far :D from the 1st lay-by northbound
Attachments
snowden.jpg
fras

Post by fras »

AAndy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 16:33
nowster wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 13:32 Sadly, I've only ever driven the new road at night, so have missed out on the views.
What you've missed out on so far :D from the 1st lay-by northbound
Wow, Snowden itself !