Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

MotorwayGuy

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by MotorwayGuy »

When this mast arm was removed, they didn't replace it with anything apart from an extra offside head in this direction.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Have I posted these before? It’s a bit subtle, but all three lights have their hoods (is that the right word) rotated 90 degrees. I’m guessing the householders must have complained at the 24/7 light show outside their windows.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Same here, to avoid train drivers misidentifying the traffic light as a railway signal
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.90712 ... ?entry=ttu
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Not sure there's many left, but Sheffield used to have lots of lanterns on tall poles with 'half+half' hoods, presumably to control light spill into neighbouring upstairs windows.

Rather than being normal hoods mounted sideways, these were the secondary pattern on one side of the hood and primary pattern on the other side.
Simon
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 17:16 Not sure there's many left, but Sheffield used to have lots of lanterns on tall poles with 'half+half' hoods, presumably to control light spill into neighbouring upstairs windows.

Rather than being normal hoods mounted sideways, these were the secondary pattern on one side of the hood and primary pattern on the other side.
Like the "tunnaway visors" (as I've seen some other American collectors refer to them as) that this old (and sadly since removed) signal in Lewisburg, TN, used to have?
Crouse-hinds Type DT 4-way by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
traffic-light-man

freebrickproductions wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 23:31 Like the "tunnaway visors" (as I've seen some other American collectors refer to them as) that this old (and sadly since removed) signal in Lewisburg, TN, used to have?
Exactly like those!
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Still some up here and a few other places but they are dying out fast and replaced by ones with normal hoods. For some reason on the second example one of the heads was turned around.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Just a green arrow at Coryton.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Triple pedestrian heads here. A site that would also benefir from countdown.
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

So I'm in Leeds and I've noticed some interesting behaviour for these traffic lights. They default to pedestrians. So when there is no traffic they stay green for the pedestrians and when a vehicle comes they will then give a green to the road but interestingly the pedestrian buttons will immediately light up despite no button press. Seems like a neat concept but probably would only work on a road like this
traffic-light-man

AlexBr967 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 16:25 So I'm in Leeds and I've noticed some interesting behaviour for these traffic lights. They default to pedestrians. So when there is no traffic they stay green for the pedestrians and when a vehicle comes they will then give a green to the road but interestingly the pedestrian buttons will immediately light up despite no button press. Seems like a neat concept but probably would only work on a road like this
I'm fairly sure Leeds has a policy for new crossings in the city centre of reverting to pedestrian green, and outside the city centre of reverting to all red. There's a boat load of other 'special' things they're doing with new pedestrian crossings using MOVA as standard, too.

There's a dual crossing on Canning Place in Liverpool at the entrance to bus station that has a revert to ped green, and if memory serves me, it's been that way since installation in the mid 2000s. In that instance, the wait lamps don't light up unless the button is pressed, but it'll revert anyway. There's nothing clever going on at this one, though.

Edit: Video here.
Simon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Big L wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 08:30 Just a green arrow at Coryton.
Used to be one on Orange St Rbt in Halifax as well.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Someone on Reddit pointed out this signal here - it illuminates as an orange arrow:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3868075 ... ?entry=ttu

Here it is lit up:
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https% ... coqzb1.jpg

It's been there for at least 10 years.

Best guess so far seems to be to warn people emerging from the driveway behind it that traffic may be coming - in other words, give way if yellow?

But a rather odd solution and clearly not in TSRGD so I guess it has some approval somewhere... or it's just a council bodge no one has got too upset over yet.
traffic-light-man

It's an interesting solution and presumably warranted (at least in the eyes of the resident), although I'm not sure what makes this driveway so special. It's after the junction and although I can see limited visibility around the bend, that's not something that's a problem of the signals, nor is it an unusual situation.

I wonder if it has any detection at the driveway in order to provoke a stage change so the arrow comes on?

Although it shouldn't strictly be done, I'm not sure it's much of a non-compliance issue given it's directed off-highway at a private driveway presumably being used only by the resident.
Simon
jnty

Post by jnty »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 15:25 It's an interesting solution and presumably warranted (at least in the eyes of the resident), although I'm not sure what makes this driveway so special. It's after the junction and although I can see limited visibility around the bend, that's not something that's a problem of the signals, nor is it an unusual situation.

I wonder if it has any detection at the driveway in order to provoke a stage change so the arrow comes on?

Although it shouldn't strictly be done, I'm not sure it's much of a non-compliance issue given it's directed off-highway at a private driveway presumably being used only by the resident.
I've sometimes wondered about whether something like this being used on side-streets/driveways joining temporary traffic light controlled one way sections. The edge cases are a bit fiddly to figure out though.
traffic-light-man

I believe a similar thing exists on more recent systems used in the US and Canada, where there's a red and two flashing red (or amber, presumably) arrows, one left and one right, which alternate with the respective movement through the shuttle section. Of course it makes a bit more sense for them given they already use flashing aspects.

There's an example here.

There is of course that example posted, probably in this thread but a while back, where there are secret signs showing NLT and NRT legends used in much the same way. I'm not sure I like that particular method, though the signal equipment and setup is particularly interesting!

I wonder if something neutral and otherwise unused in standard arrangements, like a blue or white arrow aspect, would be better for that sort of thing.
Simon
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

seems to be not the only vertical toucan
as here's another one: https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3742848 ... &entry=ttu
traffic-light-man

OliverH wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 22:36 seems to be not the only vertical toucan
Yes, '3-in-line' Toucans have been seen around. Bradford had quite a few where Visilogue equipment had been used. I'm fairly sure there were some in Edinburgh and a couple of examples from York, too. There's presumably more!
Simon
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 13:14
OliverH wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 22:36 seems to be not the only vertical toucan
Yes, '3-in-line' Toucans have been seen around. Bradford had quite a few where Visilogue equipment had been used. I'm fairly sure there were some in Edinburgh and a couple of examples from York, too. There's presumably more!
Yep, one at the ocean terminal in Leith, Edinburgh, was here: https://www.google.com/maps/@55.9804366 ... &entry=ttu

replaced when there were trams extended.